SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 18, 2012, 05:05 PM
Joined Nov 2010
548 Posts
Discussion
Landing Gears (Help needed)

Hello! I've been flying RC planes for roughly 2 years now. My first plane being AXN floater then going to HobbyKing Bixler and today I'm using Skywalker, with bunch of complicated FPV setup of course!

I really enjoy flying the Skywalker and now it's time to enjoy it even more with landing gears! I'm really tired of landing it on the belly because I want to enjoy doing a great landing on a runway with actual landing gear.
Another factor is that I'm going to be flying it with 2x5000mAh 4s with 1900mm wing. Previously I've been flying it with 1x5000mAh 4s on 1680mm wing.

So there are the questions, landing gears are really complicated!
On HobbyKing I found this list I want to buy:

Carbon Fiber Landing Gear:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._115mm_v2.html

Light Foam Wheel (50mm)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...5pcs_bag_.html

The Carbon Fiber Landing Gear, I really doubt it has holes drilled in them, which means I have to drill them myself. How would you guys make the holes?

I have absolutely no idea how the wheels would be attacked to the landing gear. Is there any specific axle I can buy from HobbyKing that would fit on these wheels?

Is there an easier way out of this, e.g. a complete landing gear package where the holes have been drilled for me, with good wheels, etc?

I just don't want to go to HK store and buy bunch of stuff that won't fit well together, but of course I could do some DIY on these parts to make them fit.

Anyway, any feedback would be great!

Thanks in advance!
raRaRa is offline Find More Posts by raRaRa
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2012, 08:40 PM
United States, AL, Troy
Joined Jun 2012
2 Posts
raRaRa,
So glad to see your post as I have pretty much the same question. I am totally new to flying and got a Dynam J3 Piper cub 1245mm RTF. Got it together with no problem and have even had it off the gound a few times. My problem is landing. The gear on the cub is weak to say the least. Already crunched two sets. Looking to replace the gear with something a little stronger while I work on honing my skills on the sim. I feel sure some great ideas are forthcoming. Best of luck with your project.
PikeCoAl is offline Find More Posts by PikeCoAl
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:33 PM
Go Ducks
United States, OR, Milwaukie
Joined Feb 2012
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raRaRa View Post

The Carbon Fiber Landing Gear, I really doubt it has holes drilled in them, which means I have to drill them myself. How would you guys make the holes?

Thanks in advance!
The landing gear you listed is not pre drilled, but it's very easy to do. Just measure and mark where the holes need to go. Clamp down the landing gear to your work bench and use a small drill bit to make your pilot holes. Then drill out to match the axle size making sure not to drill out any more material than absolutely necessary. Make sure you don't breathe any of the dust from the carbon fiber, it is evil!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raRaRa View Post

I have absolutely no idea how the wheels would be attacked to the landing gear. Is there any specific axle I can buy from HobbyKing that would fit on these wheels?

Thanks in advance!
Here is an example of what you could use. LINK

The axles that I linked have a 4mm diameter, so if you went with those specifically, you would just need to drill out the plastic axle on the wheel a bit to fit the axle shaft. Use a nut to attach the axle shaft to the landing gear and a 4mm set collar to hold the wheel in place.
RexSe7en is offline Find More Posts by RexSe7en
Old Jun 19, 2012, 07:49 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PikeCoAl View Post
raRaRa,
So glad to see your post as I have pretty much the same question. I am totally new to flying and got a Dynam J3 Piper cub 1245mm RTF. Got it together with no problem and have even had it off the gound a few times. My problem is landing. The gear on the cub is weak to say the least. Already crunched two sets. Looking to replace the gear with something a little stronger while I work on honing my skills on the sim. I feel sure some great ideas are forthcoming. Best of luck with your project.
The gear shouldn't be weak, if they are the plane is either over weight, or you are landing too hard (read not flaring at touch down).
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Jun 19, 2012, 09:00 AM
Tucson
Joined Nov 2009
974 Posts
A lot of axles used on landing gear look like this.
http://www.advantagehobby.com/65116/GBG305/

Drill a hole in the landing gear that is just big enough for the big end of the axle to fit through. Then bolt it to the landing ear, and put the wheel on, holding it on with a collar.
wuest3141 is offline Find More Posts by wuest3141
Old Jun 19, 2012, 09:53 AM
United States, AL, Troy
Joined Jun 2012
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedStik View Post
The gear shouldn't be weak, if they are the plane is either over weight, or you are landing too hard (read not flaring at touch down).
Landing too hard is a definite possibility. The last set of gear didn't like my flare / stall upon landing. Little too high. I'm sure the gear would hold up with no problem on a proper landing. The struts between the gear are very weak and i'm not even sure they serve any purpose other than looks. The other issue is the caps that keep the wheels on. They seem to want to come off and when they do, of course the wheels come off. I am working on the soft (correct) landings but was thinking of beefing it up since I am sure I will make a few more contolled crash landings. Maybe glue the caps on? As long as the wheels turn that shouldn't be a problem right? Appreciate the feedback.
PikeCoAl is offline Find More Posts by PikeCoAl
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:44 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
Pike you can always beef them up like you are talking about. Collars can replace plastic keepers to make sure wheels stay on. The struts can always be beefed up as well using some piano wire and some solder so that they are actually functional.

Took a look at the J-3, you could run your wire from one side of the gear to the other so looking from the front your gear would appear as a triangle. You can use the same gauge wire as the gear are made from and just solder the new wire in between. It will allow for less wheel seperation. You should be aware that it will also make the landings harder and the struts won't absorb a lot of the impact like they are supposed to.

Send me a PM and I can whip you up some drawing ideas.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker