Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,020 Posts
Build Log
ICON A5 - 40" & 52" by SNice - it FLIES and FLOATS!!! PLANS, PICS & VIDEO

Hello All!
PLANS FINALLY DONE!

Link to 40" Plans Here (for 5mm foam - DTF): SNice Icon A5 40" PLANS

Link to 52" Plans Here (for 6mm foam - MPF, FFF, DEPRON): SNice Icon A5 52" PLANS

*****UPDATE!!!!!!!!
Prototype has been completed - decals and all - and has had several successful flights! I am having a great time with this bird and am very happy with its performance now.

Next question: Is she seaworthy?? Yes!!!
I used "Freddie B's" finishing technique to achieve a nice finish and then coated the entire model with clear polycrilic -- 2 coats on the hull -- then I added a top coat of clear Rustoleum on the hull. She is waterproof and all electronics are contained inside the fuse...
Water handling has been tested and confirmed (see video below)...Next up:Plans

Model construction is sturdy but simple. Wing is removable - attaches to fuse with rubber band.

Controls:
Throttle, Flaps, Rudder, Elevator, Ailerons - 4 servos total

40" Model Stats:
AUW: 18oz (lots of paint)
W/S: 40in
W/L: 13.7oz/sq ft (need to recalculate)
Servos: 3x 5g (Rudder, Elevator, Flaps); 1x 9g(Aileron)
lipo: 1300mah 3S 25C
ESC: 30A (all I had on hand); motor only pulls 12.8A @WOT
Motor: 1800KV (would like to try 2200KV PJ motor)
Prop: 6x4

40" Model- WATER TAKEOFF & LANDING!!!
Icon A5 R/C Scratchbuild by SNice - Water Takeoff & Landing (3 min 34 sec)

Mild aerobatics & water test:
Icon A5 R/C Scratchbuild by Snice - Flyin' & Floatin' (12 min 26 sec)

I maidened it in less than ideal, windy and gusty conditions -- Not a good idea, but I just could not wait anymore... luckily I got her back in one piece!
40" Maiden Video:
ICON A5 R/C Scratchbuild by SNice - Maiden Video (5 min 29 sec)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
52" Model Stats:
AUW: 38-41oz (lots of paint & waterproofing)
W/S: 52in
Length: 35.5in
Wing Area: 306sq.in.
W/L: 19.58oz/sq ft (need to recalculate)
Servos: 6x 9g (Rudder, Elevator, Flaps)
lipo: 2200-2650mah 3S 30C
ESC: 40A+
Motor: 1050KV; 35-42
Prop: 10X7

52" Water Maiden!
SNice Icon A5 R/C Scratchbuild - 52" Water Maiden (9 min 13 sec)
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice
Last edited by SNice; Jul 17, 2014 at 09:13 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2012, 03:44 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,020 Posts
Reserved for Build Pics...Wing
Last edited by SNice; Mar 02, 2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 03:45 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,020 Posts
Reserved for Build Pics...Misc
Old Mar 02, 2012, 05:56 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,020 Posts
Reserved for notes/Build info
Old Mar 03, 2012, 12:05 AM
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
1,847 Posts
Well done!

Dave-
foamdave is offline Find More Posts by foamdave
Old Mar 03, 2012, 08:23 AM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,268 Posts
Very snice m8 , would like to see how it performs in less wind lol , down in one piece is all that matters
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Mar 03, 2012, 03:40 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,020 Posts
Thanks guys! I didn't realize how gusty and turbulent the wind was until I got up there! I almost didn't even make it into the air! I am looking forward to a nice, clear, calm day!!!!

Since the maiden, I have done the following:
- added clear coat of polycrylic to the wing
- increased aileron throws
- switched aileron servo from 5g to 9g
- deflected both ailerons up a bit to improve stall handling
- updated plans to reflect changes I made to the model while building

Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to get out again!
Old Mar 08, 2012, 09:57 AM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,020 Posts
Second flight...

...was a success! Wind was still present, but it was not gusty. For this flight, I had made the following changes to the model:

-Moved CG up 1/4 of an inch
-added a few milimeters of up aileron to both ailerons for reflex and stall avoidance
-Increased aileron throws
-switched out 5g aileron servo to 9g. This was only necessary b/c I had a lot of friction in my tube setup.... because the wing is already painted and finished, I did not want to tear everything up to adjust my control lines. The 5g servo was working a bit to hard at the endpoints --- the 9g servo solved this!

Took off of the grass with 1/2 flaps - a nice, gentle liftoff. This flight was much more stable - the plane is no longer twitchy - no doubt a result of the rearward CG. Handled the wind fine. Good speed. Unlimited vertical.

One thing I did notice is that the tail still seems to dance around a bit. I think it is due to the prop wash over the tail area, because when I put her in a glide, she is as smooth as ever -- even with the wind. I am hoping to reduce this "tail wag" by smoothing out the vertical stabilizer surface. My control cables for the elevator and rudder may be creating drag and turbulence which is contributing to the "tail wag". In the future, I will sink these linkages into the foam, but for this build, I was able to smooth it out with lightweight spackle and a coat of paint. Hopefully this will improve the "tail wag" condition.

I have also produced decals for this model - Icon decals as well as "Snice" decals. This is a first for me and I am pleased how the came out! I will release them with the plans as well. Now the issue is getting them on the plane! I got Iron-on T-shirt transfer printer paper - and it would work great, but I am having some trouble finding the right temperature -- too hot and the foam melts -- too cold and the graphic transfer is not complete. I am also using a standard iron which is too big for this job. I will stop by the local craft store to see if I can find a smaller, craft iron that would be safer to work with.....

What's left:
-finish decal application
-finish plans
-water test!!!!
Old Mar 08, 2012, 09:59 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,411 Posts
You Sir are a master of reverse engineering
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Old Mar 08, 2012, 11:17 AM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
You Sir are a master of reverse engineering
Thank you, my friend!!!! All I need is 3 good views!!!lol
Old Mar 08, 2012, 10:28 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,170 Posts
To think i printed and cutout the other plans that no one seemed to like a few days before you posted this . I wasnt planning on building it anytime soon so once yours are ready i'll start over .
Wilfor is offline Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Mar 10, 2012, 06:26 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,020 Posts
Finished up the paint job... added decals using Iron- on T-shirt printer paper and applying with a small craft iron. It was a very tricky process and in some cases, I melted the foam a bit - but it is a learning process. Overall, I'm am very happy with how the decals came out, but I definitely need to improve the aplication process!

Got in a good flight and water test this morning - video below:
Icon A5 R/C Scratchbuild by Snice - Flyin' & Floatin' (12 min 26 sec)

Water handling was a bit of a challenge - it would definitely be a lot easier with a working rudder (Hmmm......) ...or I could just get used to it! Still need more practice on the water before I actually attempt a takeoff and landing on water. I'm afraid of catching a wingtip and cartwheeling her! I was also surprised at how wet she got -- there was water all over the plane. The access hatch and wing attachment point need to be better sealed to prevent water from gettting in...
...more to come on the water front, but at least I have confirmed that she can taxi on the water.

The flaps on this bird seem to create a tremendous amount of lift. With flaps down, she really wants to get off the ground! Also slows down nicely and has a nice glide with flaps deployed. I almost left off the flaps but I am definitely glad I added them. Also wonder how long, full wing flaperons would work too.

Next up: Plans!!!
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:06 PM
Joined Feb 2010
81 Posts
Very nice build, cant wait for plans This plane would be a nice build
catspider is offline Find More Posts by catspider
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:14 PM
<<x USMC
USA, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Jun 2010
673 Posts
Great!... subscribed for future reference.
r0beert0 is offline Find More Posts by r0beert0
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV + McLaren P1 = HELLA FUN