SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:33 PM
United Kingdom, England, Bournemouth
Joined Nov 2012
4 Posts
So while trying to see if I could shock myself today using two of these in series
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post14004361
here is what I found out.

While being powered with 120V AC as per my wiring drawing there is less than 1 volts DC between the case. Even if both case are touching each other and even if the green earth ground is connected to both of them there is no shorting.

Now that what I experienced with these two may not be typical of all of them but then again perhaps these power supplies are indeed very different than the IBM 235 and most personal computer power supplies.

This brings up something interesting posted earlier.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=90

Snip:

Quote:
All switching PSUs(AC adaptors) are isolated inside using transformers with strictly insulated primary and secondary windings instead of a single coil. They CAN appear as a non-isolated one if the manufacturer wants it to be.
Charles

Hi , should the AC ground be floated ?
Scaff is offline Find More Posts by Scaff
Last edited by Scaff; Nov 12, 2012 at 07:01 AM. Reason: fixed links
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:22 PM
Which one is aileron again?
USA, VA, Blacksburg
Joined Apr 2006
792 Posts
That's very interesting as I would love to wire mine for 24vdc but the thought of floating grounds scares me.
prototype3a is offline Find More Posts by prototype3a
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:04 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,719 Posts
What is safe,what is unsafe, how to properly uncouple the ground how to redneck it ,was discused in great detail years ago.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=75

Perhaps start here and read 20 or so post

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=113

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Nov 13, 2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:09 PM
United Kingdom, England, Bournemouth
Joined Nov 2012
4 Posts
I saw this post and i have the same ps's but just want to check if this is right ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
I just love it when you find out that all tha worrying was for nothing.

OK perhaps the jury is still out. My findings should not be considered conclusive .

Update This is a significnate ,please read carefuly.
If you are using these very same power supplies as singles then nothing has charged however if you are using them in series ...

I have done more testing and determined that in fact the DC grounds are in fact isolated from the AC (case/earth)ground. What does this mean. In simple terms it means that the can be used in series with the earth ground connected to both units and it also means that the cases do not have to be isolated from each other(tey can touch) and it also means that with the earth ground connected they are now much safer to use.

Very same being hp Series ESP 114
Part # 192147-001

which have 12V and 55A output among others.

This is only my experience with two of these power supplies.

Charles
Scaff is offline Find More Posts by Scaff
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:16 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,719 Posts
As posted above
Quote:
Perhaps start here and read 20 or so post

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=113

Charles

My findings have not changed and I know of several others with same findings however some did in fact find that the cases were hot if the grounds were not lifted.

There is really no point in covering the same things which were covered back then.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:18 PM
Portugal
Joined Apr 2002
13 Posts
HP DL 580 G2 in series for 24V

Hello Guys....

After a lot of reading from your posts,and without your posts i could never do it, i decided to make mine own , since i fly a 700 sized heli, i always need a lot of batteries...

I normally take to the field 8 * 6S 5300mah packs...

Mine first afraid was having one case not connected to earth...So after a lot of reading, and with the posts from Mr Mel and pics, since both mine power supllies were connected between the DC- and earth, i took the R381(i believe it's correct, correct me if im wrong) 0 ohm resistor from the 2nd PS the 24V one, leaving the DC- floating, but being able to connect both PS to earth...

Here follows some pics to show:
Both are completely insulated by 12mm plywood in the middle, and 6mm plywood for both sides, top and bottom.
After that i made a 1.5mm stainless steel casing that goes over the plywood..
Seems fine to me and keep it compact..

Hope you like it...

After connecting them in series, without plywood measured both DC and AC voltage from earth to case and ground and everything is ok!

Best Regards to all of you....
GRacing is offline Find More Posts by GRacing
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:09 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,343 Posts
Looks great. Which charger do you use?
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:40 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,845 Posts
Nice job GRacing, it looks good. Very clean and sanitary looking.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Gaui X3's
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:55 PM
Portugal
Joined Apr 2002
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
Nice job GRacing, it looks good. Very clean and sanitary looking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by feathermerchant View Post
Looks great. Which charger do you use?
Hello Guys

Thank you for your valuable input...
..Sanitary looking..I work with stainless steel in the past 10 years from furniture to sanitary.. lolo

Mine charger is, at the moment the Hyperion EOS610i duo, wich doesn´t put more then 16 amps at 24 volts on the power supplies..but has soon has mine friends will need power source, i will get better data...By know i´m limited by the 180 watts from each port of the charger, wich has 2,meaning that at max voltage on the 6S, 25.2 volt i get 7.15amp aproximatelly....*2 i get 15 16 amp, 20 at most!

Feel happy that both of you liked them..
GRacing is offline Find More Posts by GRacing
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:59 PM
Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
3,929 Posts
My Version...

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but these power supplies are still an extremely viable option for our charging needs. They can be purchased for about $25 shipped from EBay, ServerSupply.com, and other sources. I thought I would share my recent modification with you. I wanted to make something really slick and cool at the same time being completely functional and fairly inexpensive. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Parts:Please see the pictures and their captions for the details…
T3chDad is offline Find More Posts by T3chDad
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Flight Log Update!
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:02 PM
Fly low and slow ?
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Oct 2007
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3chDad View Post
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread,
I'm glad you posted this, very interesting info.
Thanks
motoman97 is offline Find More Posts by motoman97
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:37 AM
Joined Sep 2009
12 Posts
Nice !

Im having issues with one of my units. It wont start up with a green light. The orange light comes. Not sure what the status light indicates. My 2nd one runs like a baby..
Proteuz is offline Find More Posts by Proteuz
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:21 AM
Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
3,929 Posts
I had that issue when I had reversed polarity on the fan plug. The unit will show amber light and will not start if the fan is unplugged or, in my case, reversed polarity. I wasted a couple of hours troubleshooting mine before I figured it out. If you haven't messed with the fan at all, this is probably not a likely cause but it may be worth trying another just to see.

Hope this helps!
T3chDad is offline Find More Posts by T3chDad
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Flight Log Update!
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:48 AM
Joined Sep 2009
12 Posts
It works now.. Looks like there was something wrong with my jumper plug at the back of the unit, or i had placed it at the wrong pins... But, the fact that you told me to check the fan, as I did a fan replacement, I did get to check the rest of the unit and found the error.. =D
Proteuz is offline Find More Posts by Proteuz
Old May 05, 2013, 02:34 PM
Joined May 2013
2 Posts
Great job I just joined to find out how to make this power supply work for my roto caster machine and just in time.
I got it working great.
Thanks for your hard work and info. Also I bought mine on eBay for 20 bucks shipped.
I'll put this info on my site to help others too.
(Theplasmacutterman.com) or just type in ( homemade tools and more). Thanks earlwb
plasanator is offline Find More Posts by plasanator