Old May 31, 2015, 12:55 PM
Find More Posts by mpiplani
Racewalker
United States, SD, Dakota Dunes
Joined Aug 2009
6 Posts
Build Log
Hobbico Flightstar 40 Rebuild and E Conversion

I bought a Hobbico FlightStar in the Spring of 1990, to celebrate taking the MCAT exam. I finally had an instructor lined up the end of the Summer of 1991 but then I went off to medical school and I never flew it. So after lugging that plane around thru having two more children, medical school and residency, and 3 moves I was finally ready to solo it in the Summer of 1999. Like a dim bulb I 'soloed'; with no help- Got it up, was making a loop around the field, lost orientation, and decided to auger it into the ground. Picked up the pieces, and they stayed in my basement/storage spaces until just now- I've moved twice and am ready to get this thing rebuilt and converted to e-power.
Funny thing is I bought the plane in Dryden, NY - just a stones throw from CNY-DAVE whose own build log inspired me to do this. Too bad our paths didn't cross back in my NY days. I also appreciate all the other logs. Have been flying lots of Horizon Foamies- and have become a real fan boy of their products. I will be enlisting the help of my club members too- SOOLAND RC Modelers of Sioux City, Iowa (field in Nebraska) http://www.slrcm.org for advice too.
I have to admit I'm lazy - so I've already bought a replacement tail for the Tower trainer and will be retro fitting that in.
Below is some of the damage I have to deal with.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks for looking!
mpiplani is offline Find More Posts by mpiplani
Last edited by mpiplani; Jun 13, 2015 at 01:35 PM. Reason: add web site
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2015, 03:20 PM
Racewalker
Joined Aug 2009
6 Posts
Power Hardware

As stated earlier, I'm bit of a Horizon Hobby fan, so using my crude estimates I went ahead and got 1) Motor: E Flite Power 46 2) Speed Controller - E Flite 60amp Pro SB Brushless ESC 3) Battery- Big Honking E Flite 5s 18.5V 5000mAh 30C battery. 4) Receiver- Spektrum AR635 w/ AS3X
This is going to drive how I mount everything (I'm going to pay for being a fan boy)
Old May 31, 2015, 03:36 PM
Racewalker
Joined Aug 2009
6 Posts
Mounting Engine and firewall(s)

Built a replacement firewall-
Took measurements and drew it in SketchUp- Wow that was so easy! Did it a year and a half ago- then went to reprint out my templates and cut the plywood, and only had a few days active on my Sketchup license. Have been experimenting with Open Source Cad programs- LibreCad and FreeCad- but not as easy as Sketchup...Sketchup used to be free when a Google product, but not anymore-
2) Using the firewall location the motor will have to be set off- ok no problem- get a motor mount. Well E- Flite has their flat mount, so have to get one that does an offset- Tower sells many, only problem is the E-flite motor doesn't mount on them. So Plan is to put in a 'second firewall' up front and put the speed control on the original firewall. The other alternative is just put in a big block on the original firewall and put the motor on that.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 01:45 PM
Racewalker
Joined Aug 2009
6 Posts
Install the original firewall replacement

After much deliberation finally glued in the original firewall replacement. Turned out ok I think-- note upper holes are for cable ties to hold speed control
Old Jun 13, 2015, 01:54 PM
Racewalker
Joined Aug 2009
6 Posts
new front firewall

So, if I had bought a more 'standard motor' from Tower or Hobby King- I could have used their mounts on the original firewall- but none of them fit my Eflite motor so the easiest solution for me was to put in a second firewall up front. Tried to have 'tabs' that would fit in the sides of the plane body but getting those precisely lined up was too much of challenge- so I ground those off and mounted it flush-
Old Jun 16, 2015, 08:12 AM
Racewalker
Joined Aug 2009
6 Posts
Motor mounted to new front firewall

Everything looks aligned so mounted the motor to the firewall. That was satisfying. Made little standoffs to hold the 'locking nuts'. Mounted the nose wheel too.
Next will mount the speed controller, then bind the receiver and start testing those 20 year old Futaba s148 servos. Will also need to put the vertical stabilizer on the back.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 04:54 PM
Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,840 Posts
Cool beans!

I haven't been up in the air since January 2014- got laid off and I did some unemployment, then worked as a temporary engineer april-august, then at a new job keeping me real busy since then.

I had just gotten done building the wing on a '90s vintage LT-40.

I also have a 2 other '90s vintage never-flown partially-built stuff I got from a club member, wonder if I can find a buyer?

Dave
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave