Find More Posts by satinet
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,612 Posts
Discussion
Field Chargers for Winch Batteries

Hi

Charging your winch batteries at home isn't difficult with A/C equipment such as the ctek range.

On the field you can use your rc charger but they are 14v. It seems 14.4v is correct for wet batteries.

I've got an optima yellow top AGM battery and want to charge it at 14.6 or 14.7v on the field.

Does any one know of chargers that are good for agm from a 12v supply?

Tom
satinet is online now Find More Posts by satinet
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2015, 08:59 PM
Find More Posts by pigly
PaulG
Newcastle, NSW Australia
Joined Dec 2004
340 Posts
Inverter?

Tom,
Why not get an inverter to run your normal charger from the battery you would usually use for recharging on the field? This is used by caravanners. You will probably need a good quality pure sine wave output but there are not many watts involved (less than 100 W) , just remember that the output from the inverter is 240V and thus potentially lethal, but proper precautions should do the trick. Or do you want a higher charge rate than 5 A ? My measurements are that my typical launches consume about 1 Ahr, so your normal charger would be putting the energy back in the battery for a launch rate of about every 15 min.
I have had no problems running printers and laptops on the field using 12V batteries and a 600W invertor but could not get my portable camping fridge to work with 600W due to the starting current surge requirements.
pigly is offline Find More Posts by pigly
Old May 16, 2015, 03:26 PM
Find More Posts by satinet
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,612 Posts
I had seen those on the website i bought my battery from. I don't know much about them so need to do some research
satinet is online now Find More Posts by satinet