SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 02, 2015, 05:57 PM
Find More Posts by AeroKen
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,891 Posts
Remedial Soldering

I'm soldering up EC5s - first time I've used bullets this size. After reading a bit on here I decided to go with them for my 6S power instead of the anderson powerpoles I used on 4S because of some stuff I read here about arcing.

I'm using a weller W60P iron with a 700 degree 3/16 chisel tip. Flux is SuperSafe #30 liquid, solder is 60/40 solid (no rosin core). The connectors are progressive RC EC5's (the progressive rc ones are not lantern style). Soldering the ESC wires on seemed to go pretty well. Ditto for soldering some onto a wattmeter. For some reason the batteries are giving me trouble though. These are glaciers with deans, #10 wires. My approach has been to unsolder the wires from the deans (one at a time obviously), flux the bullet, tin it, heat both wire and bullet, stuff the wire in, and wait for the solder to flow around and generally look like a good joint.
The problem is, I don't seem to end up in that state for a long time, if at all. Here's a couple photos of my latest attempt. I think the joint is OK if you ignore the large blob on the side of the bullet I'll have to file off.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Some questions:
Does that look like a good joint?
Does it seem like my setup is good enough?
Might the problem be extra solder left over from the deans soldering job?
Any suggestions or thoughts?
AeroKen is offline Find More Posts by AeroKen
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2015, 06:42 PM
Find More Posts by jk6672
John
United States, CA, Heber
Joined Sep 2012
3,373 Posts
When I change connectors I clip the wire right before the old plug and start fresh. I use the EC5's too. I generally hold the EC5 in a pair of visegrips, cut just a little of the wire insulation off and dip in the flux. I melt the solder into the EC5 cup and while the tip of the iron is in the cup i warm up the wire on the iron above the cup. I then slide the wire down until its just above the cup and slowly back out the iron until I can push the wire tip into the solder puddle. I use just enough solder that is doesn't over flow when the wire seats into the cup. I'm still applying pressure with the iron until I feel the heat between my index finger and thumb. If your fast enough and the connector is still hot the heat will help slide your connector into the housing easier.
jk6672 is offline Find More Posts by jk6672
Old Jul 02, 2015, 08:16 PM
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,891 Posts
My Yankee stinginess kept me from cutting the wire at the plug :-)
But it would be easier, and maybe better too - there's a lot of solder on that joint to the deans tab.
I'll also try a slightly smaller tip for the iron so I can get it in the cup as you describe.

From what you can see in those photos, does that joint look good (I'm reluctant to redo the same wire unnecessarily for fear of wicking solder too far up)?
Old Jul 02, 2015, 08:44 PM
JrV
Find More Posts by JrV
JrV
I am dangerous!
United States, NH
Joined Oct 2007
279 Posts
It is hard to tell from the pictures. I just did the same as you on 4s glaciers. I did not want to cut the wire any shorter so I unsoldered the deans and soldered on EC5's. Biggest key is keeping the heat on the EC5 bullet while inserting the battery wire. I noticed even when trying to keep the lead hot, it would almost instantly set the solder in the bullet. Even after inserting the wire I kept the heat on until the wire was at temp to not cause the solder to set instantly. Got nice and shiny joints that way.
JrV is offline Find More Posts by JrV
Old Jul 02, 2015, 08:45 PM
Find More Posts by Liberty10
Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
5,667 Posts
I use a torch. bullet in 1 alligator clip wire in the other. I hold the bullet cup up or almost up and fill it with solder. The wire with flux then slides in while still hitting the bullet with the torch. I just did this one a minute ago and then pulled the insulation up some so you can see the solder joint better.
Liberty10 is offline Find More Posts by Liberty10
Old Jul 02, 2015, 08:55 PM
Find More Posts by jk6672
John
United States, CA, Heber
Joined Sep 2012
3,373 Posts
You can always heat the solder and push it up or off the outside of the connector.
jk6672 is offline Find More Posts by jk6672
Old Jul 02, 2015, 08:58 PM
Find More Posts by Sabin
The cycle is complete.
Canada, BC, Sechelt
Joined May 2008
2,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroKen View Post
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Some questions:
Does that look like a good joint?
Does it seem like my setup is good enough?
Might the problem be extra solder left over from the deans soldering job?
Any suggestions or thoughts?
you're adding in too much solder. Other than that, the joint looks a bit cold. It should have a nice chrome-like lusture to it. Even then, it should be strong enough, and carry the needed current.

A good way to do it is to heat up the EC5 cup first, add in a bit of solder, up to 1/4 way. Pretin the wire by holding the iron on the side and wicking in the solder into the end. That will let the solder flow inside the wire and up it. Mate the two pieces together while giving it a bit of pressure. Once you heat up the connector, you should see the wire jump in. That will let you know the wire has seated on the end and add in solder bit by bit. If done properly, it should appear shiny, smooth and cupped.

It should appear like so:
Sabin is online now Find More Posts by Sabin
Old Jul 02, 2015, 09:13 PM
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,891 Posts
Thanks guys. You've convinced me that the big glob of solder that came along for the ride on the wire after I got the deans plug off is probably a good part of my problem. I'll redo that bullet and wick the solder off the outside while I'm at it.
I want to get to the point where I can nail these quickly the first time every time. Somewhere in my future I'd like to think there are 70" and bigger electrics, and I don't want any bad joints risking them!
Old Jul 02, 2015, 09:18 PM
Find More Posts by Sabin
The cycle is complete.
Canada, BC, Sechelt
Joined May 2008
2,513 Posts
All I can say is this: when it comes to solder, a little goes a long way.
Sabin is online now Find More Posts by Sabin
Old Yesterday, 01:10 PM
Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
8,298 Posts
Speaking of solder and wires, the Si2 Solar Impulse landed in Hawaii... 4 days and 22 hours.... once around the world.... solar power ONLY.
Aeroplayin is offline Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
Old Yesterday, 01:17 PM
Find More Posts by Liberty10
Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
5,667 Posts
Totally cool
Liberty10 is offline Find More Posts by Liberty10
Old Yesterday, 05:46 PM
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,891 Posts
Gave the bullet soldering another shot today. More heat and less solder seemed to produce better results. I think I need to order up a bunch of bullets a #10 wire and practice.

That Solar Impulse plane is really cool. The pilot had quite an ordeal I guess - cold, unpressurized cockpit, can't sleep more than 20 minutes at a stretch for the whole time.
Old Today, 12:45 AM
Find More Posts by Buzzed
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
4,601 Posts
Quick question for you Power system guys:

Just received my 7.4 volt lipos for my powersafe receiver. It has EC2 plugs & my receiver has EC3. The wires are about the same gauge on both. If I change the plugs on the battery, will there be any issues in terms of power output/draw/amp...etc. with it powering 5 HV servos on my new gas 75" Extra??

Hope that makes sense...
Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed
Old Today, 12:46 AM
Find More Posts by Buzzed
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
4,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroKen View Post
Gave the bullet soldering another shot today. More heat and less solder seemed to produce better results. I think I need to order up a bunch of bullets a #10 wire and practice.

That Solar Impulse plane is really cool. The pilot had quite an ordeal I guess - cold, unpressurized cockpit, can't sleep more than 20 minutes at a stretch for the whole time.
Got to see it when it was in Phoenix. Very high tech work of art.

Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed