HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2002, 07:11 PM
Montreal
Joined Mar 2002
21 Posts
cad programm for modelers

Hello

Anybody have a suggestion for a simple , basic , cad programm for modelers ?

I have an IBM compatible computer ( 10 gig hardrive, 256 meg ram, amd duron processor), and am really not a computer addict.

Aviateur
aviateur is offline Find More Posts by aviateur
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2002, 08:26 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,154 Posts
Dunno.. any you can get for a good price.. prefferably Free ;-)
Look around onna .
Used top believe that Turbo Cad was a stupid simple Cad pgm.. till I tried it. only marginally simpler than Autocad and far less capable.. Most Cad pgms are gonna require a steep learning curve.. just get it over with ;-)
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Sep 11, 2002, 08:54 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,521 Posts
DOn't know if you can still get it, but I have been using Drawing Board for years. VERY VERY easy to learn. I started with Model CAD, but found it very clumbsy ( still is IMO) With Drawing board I was able to produce useful drawings in a VERY short period of time. It was 49$ as an introductary special.

I tried the old link, and it is down.... Ashlar made it, and they have a compleatly different Web site now. No mention of Drawing Board though http://www.ashlar.com/products/index.shtml

I may still have a copy of the stripped down freebie that they had on their site.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Sep 11, 2002, 09:20 PM
Crystal Lake , IL
Joined Sep 2002
53 Posts
Aviateur

I think that you can still find "freebie" copies of IntelliCAD around ( do a web
search ). I used the free version, and then found a "full" version marked down to $19.95. It does everything that AutoCAD, but for me it seems to more match the tools form a Windows environment.

Related to the learning curne, if you are a user of graphics programs like VISIO, or others of it's ilk, the learning curve isn't all that steep. If you have little computer experience, and you're serious, you might want to take a CAD class at the local community college, to get the fundamentals down....

If you're kinda "geeky" like me, then some of the fun of the hobby, is learning to do new things as well as "sustained knife edge..?

;-> rocketdude..........
rocketdude is offline Find More Posts by rocketdude
Old Sep 11, 2002, 09:55 PM
Electric Columnist
Fuquay Varina, NC
Joined Dec 2000
784 Posts
I've tried several over the years, but personally like AutoCAD either the full version or the light. You can buy an older version of ACAD Lite very reasonably and it will do all you care to do as far as designing airplanes. I tried DesignCAD and quit out of frustration. I spent a fortune going back to 3D for DOS and never got happy with it.

A great buy for the money is TurboCAD which you can buy for about $99 or so, cheaper if you can find an older version. It is more AutoCAD compatible than AutoCAD

My choice would be TurboCAD if you have to buy one. I've tried some of the cheap and free CAD programs and they just didn't do the job for me. Your results may vary.
Greg Gimlick is online now Find More Posts by Greg Gimlick
Old Sep 11, 2002, 10:36 PM
Toronto,Canada
Joined Jul 2002
435 Posts
Airplane PDQ

http://www.davincitechnologies.com/AirplanePDQ.htm

There is a demo on this site of Intellicad / PDQ. Seems to be fully functional w/o save capablitity.

Purchase price is $99.

It is a version of Intellicad (an autocad like program), with some "airplane stuff" added it to it . (See the PDQ webiste for a more elegant description ).

It has a "Wizard" which will create a drawing according to your specs (weight / stall speed .. etc). Also analyzes your drawing and spits out reports.

An interesting feature is that you can export the drawing out to use with the Xplane flight simulator. (Not in the demo though .. no "saving").

Mike
MikeSt is offline Find More Posts by MikeSt
Old Sep 12, 2002, 12:07 PM
Joined May 2000
32 Posts
What about us linux/unix users

I don't have an MS windows computer, but I too would like a reasonable cad program. Right now i have been using good ol' xfig to draw up some plans for a MHLG. But I have found it has several shortcomings. On the other hand i havent't run across anything really better
gwenbeth is offline Find More Posts by gwenbeth
Old Sep 12, 2002, 04:10 PM
Sevier County, East Tennessee
Joined Oct 2001
481 Posts
Autodesk (the makers of AutoCAD) have two other CAD programs that are cheaper than AutoCAD LT. They are called QuickCAD($49) and AutoSketch($99). Click HERE to read about the products, they are listed at the bottom of the page.
CADman is offline Find More Posts by CADman
Old Oct 27, 2002, 01:02 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2002
98 Posts
Quick Cad program for modellers

I've been using QC for 3 years now without any problem.

QC is much nicer, say friendlier program compared with Autocad or AC-LT . Still it has full compatibility with these and most other programs.

It seems to be 49 dollars in the U.S. - a bargain!-

Here in Europe its about 100 dollar.

Believe me, I've started using CAD 8 years ago professionally, QC is a fine program for all basic 2D drawing without all those gadgeds of Autocad.

Intellicad is as I believe free (without the modeldrawing plugin), a good option, but much harder to learn......

I would say : Go for QuickCad and no I am not working for AutodesK

Regards, Chris
Zoltar is offline Find More Posts by Zoltar
Last edited by Zoltar; Oct 27, 2002 at 09:06 AM.
Old Oct 28, 2002, 05:51 PM
York Electronics
Dallas Tx USA
Joined Apr 1999
2,505 Posts
I have (as well as others) AutoCAD R14, QuickCAD, Micrografx Designer 7, TurboCAD 6 and DesignCAD 3000. They are all great for 2D design. They are all so much better than that first version of ModelCAD for dos .

I'm by far no expert at CAD, but for one who has limited abilities and great expectations, I find myself using DesignCAD3K most of the time. It's the easiest to use to make "real parts" for model designs if you want to see them in 3D. TurboCAD (mine is older version 6) has caused me only headaches because it will not run stable on any of my 3 computers. Just last night I was creating a part to import into DesignCAD3K and the dang think locked down in the middle of the export. This may not be an issue on newer versions. Still, I was put off by spending money on software that I can't use. The learning curve for DesignCAD might be a bit steep (or I might be a bit "slow") if you want to design in 3D, but 2D designs are as easy as any other program out there. DesignCAD3K is notorious for poor help files and assumes too much that you already have CAD theory training. Also, many of the errors are not very intuitive; statements like "Can't Do That" doesn't help very much.

I've been salivating over the new TurboCAD ver 8 Pro Upgrade but I can't bring myself to spend another $200 for a program that has a history (for me) of being unusable because it's been unstable. Speaking of unstable, my AutoCAD R14 is also unstable. QuickCAD, Micrografx Designer 7 and DesignCAD3K are all very stable on my computers.

If you expect to get support around here for problems you might (read: will) have you should consider TurboCAD or AutoCAD since they seem to be what most around here are using.
Gary Warner is offline Find More Posts by Gary Warner
Old Nov 07, 2002, 05:23 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2002
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rcav8r2
DOn't know if you can still get it, but I have been using Drawing Board for years. VERY VERY easy to learn. I started with Model CAD, but found it very clumbsy ( still is IMO) With Drawing board I was able to produce useful drawings in a VERY short period of time. It was 49$ as an introductary special.

I tried the old link, and it is down.... Ashlar made it, and they have a compleatly different Web site now. No mention of Drawing Board though http://www.ashlar.com/products/index.shtml

I may still have a copy of the stripped down freebie that they had on their site.
I purchased the full version of Drawing board, and it is fantastic.
Ashlur stop producing it and are no longer supporting it, so if anyone wants a copy for a few dollars to cover my cost, let me know privately.

Roger
aerografixs@hotmail.com
aerografixs is offline Find More Posts by aerografixs