SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM
France, IDF, Paris
Joined Feb 2014
56 Posts
Discussion
Video drops at 1km whatever I do, on tbs pro and bixler

Hi, so I'm having troubles with my bixler and my tbs discovery pro getting past 800m-1km, on the bixler, I tried going from one battery to dedicated battery, putting the lawmate 500mw 1.2ghz transmitter on the tip of the wing, tried to add a saw filter to the receiver, tried using both sandy antennas and IBcrazy's mad mushrooms antennas on both side, adding ferrite, separating the vrx on a dedicated tripod,
on my tbs discovery pro, I use another 1.2ghz 500mw, and I have the exact same range.
One thing is sure, the dragonlink doesn't impact the video, I tried shutting down my transmitter when the video was starting to get bad and there was no change, wether I use a tripod for the receiver or mount the monitor and receiver on my transmitter just next to the dragonlink doesn't change anything.
By the way my receiver is a lawmate 1.2, I use channel 1 which is 1080mhz but also tried other channels.
I just always have the exact same range, which is weird because I expected a massive difference between the sandy antennas and mad mushrooms but there none.
By the way the dragonlink rx is all the way back while the video rx is on the right wing, so I can't do better than that.
At 600m the video start to get bad, and 1km is the end I have to go in failsafe cause I don't see anything
I almost forgot, with my f330 quadcopter, SAME RANGE !!! on this one everything is just touching , dragonlink is almost right on top of the video receiver, I mean it's just such an ugly setup compared to my bixler and I have the same range.
Any ideas on what I should try next, because I'm out of ideas.
clementt is offline Find More Posts by clementt
Last edited by clementt; Yesterday at 01:05 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 03:58 PM
What place .... is this ???
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
1,302 Posts
Interesting problem, I'm not sure how helpful I can be, but here goes, first question, what is the noise floor like on that frequency in the area in which you fly? Other users basically. Second, what sort of altitude are you flying at? Third do you have more than one vtx (it might be faulty)

At that range I would not expect any difference between the transmitter antennas until you are in a turn. BTW I assume you are running the same type of antenna at the same time, ie linear with linear, circular with circular.
Heppy Ket is offline Find More Posts by Heppy Ket
Old Today, 06:26 PM
France, IDF, Paris
Joined Feb 2014
56 Posts
Hi, thanks for the help, I usually fly alone, at least I don't know of anybody who fly in the area, I usually do the same range test at about 300-400m above ground level, and yes I have one lawmate 4 channel vtx on the bixler, and one 8channel lawmate on the tbs pro, and yes I'm using circular with circular and linear with linear.
Thanks
clementt is offline Find More Posts by clementt
Old Today, 09:12 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,538 Posts
Sounds like a dead amplifier in the transmitter if you ask me. I have gone 1km on 0.0051 Watts before when my TX amplifier decided to die on me.

-Alex
IBCrazy is online now Find More Posts by IBCrazy