HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2014, 01:55 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,224 Posts
Discussion
2200/4cell for jet use needed.

guys, like the title says i need some new 2200's for edf use.
due to the nominal 3 min. discharges w/ edf use these batteries take a bit of a beating compared to most prop plane use.
my power systems are designed for max ~30c current draw , used in burst only not continuous at that rate. more like an average 20c continuous.
i am very careful of my lipo use , 1 c charge , never below 3.75v / cell resting , never used to cold , ect, ect.

even w/ this care i have had some very early failures as of late.

so............ i am looking for real world info if anybody has any recent comparisons between some of the so called bargain brands.
i am not against some mid priced brands IF there is truly value there , i am just not convinced u get what u pay for as most of my ir tests show quite a crap shoot across brands, production runs , and sizes within the same brand.

i wont buy the following for a number if reasons;

nano
g-force
skylipo

some i am considering would be ;

china hobby line
glacier
rhino
turnigy blue rap
any other that differ other than by price

any input appreciated , but please only recent info as what u got a year ago seems to not have much bearing on a purchase today. if any body has temp controlled ir #'s from recent batteries in this size PLEASE post . side by side tests in jets are also great . 5-6 min discharge opinions not so much!

tia , chuck.
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2014, 11:37 AM
USA, VA, Alexandria
Joined Oct 2004
371 Posts
I have been using the zippy compact 4S 2200 35C packs on my Evader for awhile. They seem to be holding up just fine. It draws around 32 amps on the stock hyperflow fan and motor setup so maybe not quite as hot a setup as you have. I fly for 4 min and still have about 15% or so left in the pack.
lrb75 is offline Find More Posts by lrb75
Old Oct 13, 2014, 05:28 PM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrb75 View Post
I have been using the zippy compact 4S 2200 35C packs on my Evader for awhile. They seem to be holding up just fine. It draws around 32 amps on the stock hyperflow fan and motor setup so maybe not quite as hot a setup as you have. I fly for 4 min and still have about 15% or so left in the pack.
I guess you were lucky - 2 of my 3 new 35C Zippy Cs appear to be total rubbish. Check out the IR numbers! After a fairly fruitless conversation with HK tech support I decided to run these into the ground rather than returning them, which would cost around half their value. First cycles in my EFX racer (peak current draw ~20C) were ok, but I was flying very conservatively.
MattyB is offline Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MattyB; Oct 13, 2014 at 05:35 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 06:30 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,224 Posts
thanks for the replies.

i am not surprised on the compacts ........ i have some new zippys that are way over rated , ir wise.

in 75's post the 4 min discharge at a 15c max is not very hard on the battery.

matty b , what was the ambient temp on the fully cooled ir tests? at any rate , as usual the ir tests tell all. thanks for the post . one way or another i will post some #'s from whatever i buy and hopefully we can all know a bit more before we buy.

chuck
Old Oct 13, 2014, 06:38 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,224 Posts
using this http://www.jj604.com/LiPoTool/

the zippys make a whopping 11c continuous

temp dependent.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 07:17 AM
Taranis Tyro...
Joined Jan 2004
3,985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas650r View Post
i am not surprised on the compacts ........ i have some new zippys that are way over rated , ir wise.

in 75's post the 4 min discharge at a 15c max is not very hard on the battery.

matty b , what was the ambient temp on the fully cooled ir tests? at any rate , as usual the ir tests tell all. thanks for the post . one way or another i will post some #'s from whatever i buy and hopefully we can all know a bit more before we buy.
Ambient was probably around 20 degrees C / 68F. IR seems to drop to high single figures immediately after use, but quickly goes back up to mid twenties as the battery cool. I suspect the middle cells of these packs will puff very quickly because there will be nowhere for the excessive heat to go as they discharge .

Quote:
using this http://www.jj604.com/LiPoTool/

the zippys make a whopping 11c continuous

temp dependent.
Yep, that's the tool I used before talking to HK - didn't do much good though! I will just write this one off to experience.

On the other hand I did buy one of their "Heavy Duty" 60C packs for a few pounds more, and that shows some promise - IR in the 4-5 mOhms per cell range, and noticeably more punch than the compacts in the air. I only have one cycle on it so far though!

Still not a patch on my Gens Ace packs though - "only" 25C, but that is a REAL 25C. They are so consistent, and don't seem to age much either. Some say Glacier are a Gens Ace rebrand, but as we don't get Glaciers here in the UK I can't confirm that.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MattyB; Oct 14, 2014 at 11:49 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 07:01 PM
USA, VA, Alexandria
Joined Oct 2004
371 Posts
Hmmm my compact zippies are in a white heat shrink. Looking on their site they are all in yellow now. Wonder if they have changed to something worse. I got mine when they first came out.
lrb75 is offline Find More Posts by lrb75
Old Oct 14, 2014, 10:23 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrb75 View Post
Hmmm my compact zippies are in a white heat shrink. Looking on their site they are all in yellow now. Wonder if they have changed to something worse. I got mine when they first came out.
that could certainly be the case . consistency seems very iffy at best .
Old Oct 14, 2014, 10:42 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,224 Posts
mattyb, agreed the heat generated w/ that ir will most likely do them in . the zippys i got are in the same boat (1550/3's) and i will just use them to death also , live and learn. i have heard the same about glaciers and some of mine are very good for budget packs, other sizes bought at the same time not so good , just ok . goes to show u how just a mah size change can affect what u get for quality. i used to get gens ace here and found the exact same w/ them , some very good , some early cell failure. we cant get them here for a good deal any more. i also have heard the turnigy blue rap are the same cells as the glaciers and gens ace. i have had good luck w/ most of them that i have bought. to bad they cant rate them more realistically like the gens ace and glaciers , just makes me feel better

makes me wonder if the hk h/d you have are also gens ace cells? thanks for the tip i may look into them also.

chuck.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:54 AM
Taranis Tyro...
Joined Jan 2004
3,985 Posts
Quote:
mattyb, agreed the heat generated w/ that ir will most likely do them in . the zippys i got are in the same boat (1550/3's) and i will just use them to death also , live and learn. i have heard the same about glaciers and some of mine are very good for budget packs, other sizes bought at the same time not so good , just ok . goes to show u how just a mah size change can affect what u get for quality. i used to get gens ace here and found the exact same w/ them , some very good , some early cell failure. we cant get them here for a good deal any more. i also have heard the turnigy blue rap are the same cells as the glaciers and gens ace. i have had good luck w/ most of them that i have bought. to bad they cant rate them more realistically like the gens ace and glaciers , just makes me feel better

makes me wonder if the hk h/d you have are also gens ace cells? thanks for the tip i may look into them also.
They could be, but then again they could be something completely different. Herein lies the problem with buying from HK; they can (and I'm sure do) source from whoever offers them the best price at that point in time, slap the relevent brandname on it (Turnigy, Zippy, A-Spec etc) and send it to the warehouse.

For models that stress their batteries to only low levels I guess that's no problem. For EDF and racer use I am wondering whether HK batteries are a false economy; maybe I need to stump up and try some of those highly rated Revolectrix packs...
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MattyB; Oct 15, 2014 at 11:59 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 11:32 AM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,224 Posts
agreed, it's 1 big crap shoot buying the budget packs and i keep thinking i may find a supplier that has good bang for buck AND is consistent. the revos are something i have looked at and should probably go there..........looks like $45 each if i buy 2..........still have a problem w/ a 60c / 120c burst rating......... have they really pulled 264 amps out of 1 of those ? guess i just need to get over it.

chuck.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 08:58 PM
Joined Mar 2013
51 Posts
I would highly recommend Revolectrix personally. It's pretty much all I fly now, with my oldest packs probably reaching easily 200 flights with out any sign increased internal resistance or degradation.

You can actually get 2450mAh 4S high voltage batteries from Revolectrix for a dollar less than the 2200mAh 4s batt's. They are almost exactly the same size and weight and have really great reviews as well.
ChicoFlyer is offline Find More Posts by ChicoFlyer
Old Oct 16, 2014, 12:05 AM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicoFlyer View Post
I would highly recommend Revolectrix personally. It's pretty much all I fly now, with my oldest packs probably reaching easily 200 flights with out any sign increased internal resistance or degradation.

You can actually get 2450mAh 4S high voltage batteries from Revolectrix for a dollar less than the 2200mAh 4s batt's. They are almost exactly the same size and weight and have really great reviews as well.
good to hear. how hard do u use them in what?

chuck.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 09:35 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,224 Posts
well lacking very much viable info i ordered 2 different batteries from h/k .

#1. 40c rhino 2250

#2. 40c turnigy blue rap 2200

got them today and all came well balanced at 3.85+or- .02max

after a few hrs @78 f i ran a quick ir test on both at storage charge as i received them.

#1. = ~17 per cell

#2=~ 7 per cell which should perform ok for my use ........ given that it doesn't degrade to fast.

the rhino is just a bit worse than a 25c rhino i got not long ago making me think again that just the label is changed for 40 c .

the turnigy blue rap is on par w/ most of the others i have owned and at the additional cost over the rhino makes me think h/k prices the batteries by ir not the labels

this all may change w/ a few cycles , but i have never seen much difference.

chuck.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 08:05 PM
Joined Oct 2009
1,184 Posts
Hmm a bit surprised you went with those packs. They are known to have a limited lifespan, pushing them at 30C wont help much. If you were set on ordering from hobbyking I would have spent a bit more and gone with the 4S 2200mah first gen A-spec hands down. Well worth the money. I run mine at 65amps draw and they give tons of power, dont heat up much either.

Aside from that as others have said gens ace 25C are very solid and behave more like 45C packs.
nighthawk0077 is online now Find More Posts by nighthawk0077