HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2014, 05:04 AM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,436 Posts
With the CYM having the same 14g motor on it they both seem even in most flight characteristics. The Yak does roll faster but the Pitts is easier on rolling harriers for me. Knife edge is also easier to on the Pitts, hovering is same between the two. I'm more into the Pitts since I have a sweet spot in the heart for biplanes.
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2014, 06:09 PM
TEAM TWISTED
United States, MD, Middle River
Joined Dec 2011
1,100 Posts
I was excited to see someone bringing this plane up for conversation again.

Had the CYM and still have a CPM (flew it yesterday and loved it).

I think the Mini Yak is a little easier to control in high alpha but if the tail surfaces have a ton of throw, the CPM can get even higher alpha like almost vertical. High alpha is the only way to get these planes going slow. They are both fast but the CPM has more mass and may be faster.

Both roll well. I think the Yak is inferior to the Mini Pitts on roll rate due to the fact that the bipe has twice as much aileron surface. They both hover well but the Yak might be slightly easier. The CPM toque rolls like mad. The bipe is more snappy and stops on a dime when you take power out which is cool once you get into it. Both knife edge well but the bipe just looks cooler doing it

I'm a little biased towards the CPM. She's just a real cool machine and a fun build too since it takes a little more work than a single wing plane.

Both great planes though. A Mini Yak is an awesome plane for learning in small spaces. The Bipe is probably a little more for the pilot who has been flying a little while but it's a treat having one.

Hope it helps! Enjoy!
ROLLING CIRCLE is offline Find More Posts by ROLLING CIRCLE
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ROLLING CIRCLE; Nov 03, 2014 at 06:47 PM.
Old Nov 04, 2014, 02:54 PM
United Kingdom, Gunnerton
Joined Dec 2010
1,132 Posts
My CPM will do rifle rolling circles on its own without any elevator/rudder input. Is this normal?
jcansdale is offline Find More Posts by jcansdale
Old Nov 04, 2014, 08:40 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
2,003 Posts
I wish mine did that, it would make me look so good. Lol!

Mine doesn't do it on its own, but the inputs I need to give are very, very minimal to get her rolling constantly without dropping. Maybe you have a bit more power, or a different balance point?
rayonnair is offline Find More Posts by rayonnair
Old Nov 04, 2014, 09:16 PM
TEAM TWISTED
Joined Dec 2011
1,100 Posts
J, that's not normal, it's actually impossible ( or so it seems to me LOL ). Sure sounds fun though Must be hard as heck to land that thing. You could grab a sandwich and a drink and set your transmitter down and just kick back and enjoy the rifle roller show...
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Clik Real Quick
Old Nov 05, 2014, 04:40 AM
United Kingdom, Gunnerton
Joined Dec 2010
1,132 Posts
I can hold the transmitter in one hand with the aileron pinned (3D rates) and watch as it does perfect rolling circles around the gym. I'll see if I can get some video this Thursday at our indoor session...
jcansdale is offline Find More Posts by jcansdale
Old Nov 06, 2014, 11:23 PM
wrecklessly misspeling stuff..
United States, CA, Citrus Heights
Joined Feb 2009
1,004 Posts
These little 2cell packs didn't last long. just about 11 months. Do all small lipos have this tendency?
tuck is offline Find More Posts by tuck
Old Nov 07, 2014, 08:58 PM
TEAM TWISTED
Joined Dec 2011
1,100 Posts
Tuck, it's not so much the age as it is the number of cycles and how depleted the batts were getting at the bottom of the cycles. If you were flying 250 mah packs and, when charging, 225 went back in, you are using more than 75%. You are running them too long per flight if you need to put more than 75% of the milliamps back in after use. If you discharge too much per flight, the batts won't last near as long as if you only take 50-60% out of them per use. And, even if used gently (50%), if you were flying each pack 50 times a week, eleven months would be a heck of a lot of flights (50 x 44 weeks = 2200 flights). I don't think any batteries make it that far with any sort of power left. So, I guess the answer to your question is, it depends on how hard and how often the packs were used.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Clik Real Quick
Old Nov 07, 2014, 09:41 PM
wrecklessly misspeling stuff..
United States, CA, Citrus Heights
Joined Feb 2009
1,004 Posts
Thanks RC,
I like to think I am responsible with my lipos, IE not over discharging and flying asap after charging. But I have put quite a few cycles through them, not 2200 flights but maybe over a hundered.
tuck is offline Find More Posts by tuck