Now if only the basement would warm up a bit
Ken Lapointe is offline Find More Posts by Ken Lapointe
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:40 AM
United States, NJ, Pitman
Joined Jan 2011
18 Posts
Ken, Great job you're doing!

Maybe you or others can help me with questions about my newly purchased Pica Dora (electric). I did not build it and am getting help making this very scale model look even more scale. Someone really put some time in on it.

1) Do you have an idea about what to do about a cooling fan inside the cowl? The original actually spun. Mine has nothing inside so something must be done.

2) The retracts are mechanical and will be switched out for electric - any idea which kind would be the best to use, keeping the scale aspect in mind. Price is of no importance.

3) The prop looks right, only too big. I am not sure about this, however. I saw the link to your prop and I am thinking that the lines are not right either (too angular). Perhaps someone out there has some ideas here. This is a minor thing compared to the first 2 questions.

Thanks, and good luck with the build, Mickey
Mitavec is offline Find More Posts by Mitavec
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:04 AM
Joined Jan 2011
18 Posts
Actually, I have a fourth question - the bottom is not as finished as the top. Panel lines could be drawn and I am wondering if anyone can supply full-sized plans for doing so or suggest another manner of scaling it out. Thanks.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:39 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,950 Posts
I still wondering how the spinner looks on the cowl
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:30 AM
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
3,990 Posts
Hi Mickey,

Here is a pic of the radiator on the Dora I was referring to.

Cheers,

Steve
dambit is online now Find More Posts by dambit
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:08 AM
miniture aircraft pilot
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Oct 2007
1,343 Posts
subscribed.
rcshirt is online now Find More Posts by rcshirt
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:15 AM
miniture aircraft pilot
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Oct 2007
1,343 Posts
i'm not sure why you planning on over powering the plane. Mine is converted and using a power 60 , 14x8 on 5 cells. more than scale performance.
shown is the flying prop at the feild.
rcshirt is online now Find More Posts by rcshirt
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:40 AM
Build'em and Crash'em
Narragansett, RI
Joined Oct 2000
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitavec View Post
Ken, Great job you're doing!

Maybe you or others can help me with questions about my newly purchased Pica Dora (electric). I did not build it and am getting help making this very scale model look even more scale. Someone really put some time in on it.

1) Do you have an idea about what to do about a cooling fan inside the cowl? The original actually spun. Mine has nothing inside so something must be done.

2) The retracts are mechanical and will be switched out for electric - any idea which kind would be the best to use, keeping the scale aspect in mind. Price is of no importance.

3) The prop looks right, only too big. I am not sure about this, however. I saw the link to your prop and I am thinking that the lines are not right either (too angular). Perhaps someone out there has some ideas here. This is a minor thing compared to the first 2 questions.

Thanks, and good luck with the build, Mickey
Have not thought about the cooling fan. I dont think its really needed for cooling just for scale looks. Problem is that you need to make sure any fan you put in there is properly balanced.

Have no idea on what electrics to go with, I was trying to keep the price down in this one so I went with the recommended spring airs

By prop, do you mean spinner. One is the one PICA sold the other is aftermarket, but a bit smaller. Have not decided on which one to use yet
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:42 AM
Build'em and Crash'em
Narragansett, RI
Joined Oct 2000
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitavec View Post
Actually, I have a fourth question - the bottom is not as finished as the top. Panel lines could be drawn and I am wondering if anyone can supply full-sized plans for doing so or suggest another manner of scaling it out. Thanks.

Just find a decent drawing of he plane. Give the plane a coat of primer, sand it smooth, use 1/16th inch wide chart tape to replicate all the panel lines. Give a coat or 2 of primer along the lines, lightly sand over the chart tape, pull up the tape, instant panel lines.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:45 AM
Build'em and Crash'em
Narragansett, RI
Joined Oct 2000
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcshirt View Post
i'm not sure why you planning on over powering the plane. Mine is converted and using a power 60 , 14x8 on 5 cells. more than scale performance.
That has to be one of the nicest looking 190s I have ever seen. Thats just amazing. Really something to aim for.

The power 90 is just what I have left over from my 60 sized mustang. I do admit I like to fly a little faster than scale at times
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:49 AM
Build'em and Crash'em
Narragansett, RI
Joined Oct 2000
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gree View Post
I still wondering how the spinner looks on the cowl
I'm getting there

Between it being cold in the basement, no heat and winter and power out due to the blizzard not much has happened on the plane lately.

I did order the struts from shindin Machine though

After a few weeks of looking I finally found some 100% polyester to use after glassing the wings, goes on top of the wet epoxy to smooth things out.

So I hope to get back to work a bit today, taxes can wait
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:05 AM
Build'em and Crash'em
Narragansett, RI
Joined Oct 2000
3,244 Posts
A bit of progress

Glassed the tail feathers, mounted the tail and installed the cowl mount

Very slow progress I know, but its cold down there in the basement
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:18 AM
Joined Feb 2010
387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcshirt View Post
Incredible looking model!
jeff
Jeff Van Hofwegen is online now Find More Posts by Jeff Van Hofwegen
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:00 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
Narragansett, RI
Joined Oct 2000
3,244 Posts
A bit more progress today

A bit more progress today

And a comparison of the spinners
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:11 AM
Joined Jan 2011
18 Posts
Ken,
Can you give me a link to the black spinner - that appears more scale than the one I have.
Thanks, Mickey