HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 28, 2012, 09:27 PM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,108 Posts
Discussion
Wow , learning in the back yard has been interesting

Wow , learning in the back yard has been interesting to say the least , and when I started putting together my 4th electric heli [ plastic fantastic ] , I thought it was time to speed up the learning process ..

Ive had problems with orientation , tail in Im fine , and when I turn to 90deg Im ok as long as the heli dont wander to fast .

Head in hover = FORGET IT ! and Ive crashed enough to be tired of it ! [ crashing ]

So I figure , its time not to save money , well not that Im saving money having 4 operational electric helicopters , but obviously I have no intention of giving up and going away !

So after watching video after video of flight stabilization , the purchase was made , Flight Mentor ..

I hope to speed up the learning process [ flight orientation ] with the use of flight mentor , build up some confidence ..

So the process is to eliminate the need to constantly keep a stable hover [ needs a certain amount of concentration ] , and rather build on flight control and orientation until such is attained and then slowly remove flight mentor from the equation ..

I just dont have the room to fly circuits in the back yard [ I know I should go to the park where there is more room and fly circuits there = like figure 8's and then move to squares etc and finally head on hover ] , only problem is I hate driving with a passion these days ...

Even half a mile to a park [ hate it ] ........ Yeah I got problems ...
Getting old , and cranky !

Anyhow , Got the tail in hover down , sort of got 90deg left and right down , but I really want to speed things up ... And not have to travel to do it ..
Well , ill have to get out of the back yard soon , I know that , but ATM im busy with school [ mature aged student ] , so time is not a luxury .
My flying is opportunistic ATM , when the opportunity presents itself , I grab it ..
So its 10 minutes here and 10 minutes there in between doing home work and assignments .
old4570 is offline Find More Posts by old4570
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2012, 10:09 PM
Joined May 2012
113 Posts
your parts count will be lower if you can develop a regimented approach and "Staying in your box." Tail in, side in, then nose in. follow the techniques mentioned in Radd's. (search it).

the biggest thing you are doing is building automated responses, muscle memory, cued by the eyes, and that takes repetition repetition repetition. don't get too eager, just enjoy the steps along the way. Try to develop a feel for the rhythm of the machine, and establish grace in each orientation. Strive to make it look effortless and easy. If you enjoy the baby steps and focus on honing what you have, you'll be scooting it around nicely before you know it, with less frustration along the way.
meep is offline Find More Posts by meep
Old May 28, 2012, 10:21 PM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,108 Posts
I have little room for error in the back yard .. I might have a bout 3 Square meters , then I start hitting things , brick walls 2 , lemon tree 1 , clothes line , and a bench [ cant be moved ]

Im using the obstacles like traffic cones , walk behind the heli and fly around the obstacles flying a short circuit .. There is no room for error when doing this [ no run off space ]

Fly mentor will allow me to concentrate on other things than keeping the heli stable .. Rather critical in the back yard ..

Heli KDS 450 SV (T-Rex 450 Clone) with Flymentor 3D Autopilot-System (0 min 35 sec)

This is the sort of stability I need to speed up learning , specially head in hover ..
Old May 28, 2012, 10:41 PM
unlicensed helicopter nut
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
Good for you for your efforts.

A fixed pitch heli can do a lot in this regard. Survives crashes better than a CP and flies indoors and outdoors if wind is nil.

GinoCP (who we don't see on RCG anymore) told me to take off nose-in. I rigged a Blade CP to run with fixed pitch blades for lower head speed and did as he advised. It seemed to work....
zen@lanset.com is offline Find More Posts by zen@lanset.com
Old May 28, 2012, 11:05 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,470 Posts
Have you considered a flight simulator?
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Old May 28, 2012, 11:09 PM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,108 Posts
Yeah , I have a V911 that I flew the pants off , I flew it so much ,

I can fly the V911 head in side ways , what ever .

Thing is the V911 self stabilizes , and I want the same thing for the 450 ..

Cos it took very little time to learn the V911 , was a rather short learning curve ..
And I want to shorten the learning curve for the 450 , Ive done it the hard way [ by my self etc ] now I want to do it the easy way .
Or even cheat if you will ..But I think the self stabilization will give me the results I seek . Well I hope so ..
Old May 28, 2012, 11:16 PM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,108 Posts
Yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_skaggs View Post
Have you considered a flight simulator?
Started with the flight sim , moved onto the V911 and Juicon micro's flew them so much I lost track of how much , some times up to 10 times a day .

Now 450 ...

I started on the sim new years Jan 2012 ?

And April ? was starting with the 450's , now its the end of May , so 60 Days with the 450's ? so far ? .... Something like that ..

Built my 4th Heli last Thu 24 [ flight ready ] , about to go out and put my 15th battery through it when I finish typing this ...
Old May 29, 2012, 12:09 AM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by old4570 View Post
Started with the flight sim , moved onto the V911 and Juicon micro's flew them so much I lost track of how much , some times up to 10 times a day .

Now 450 ...

I started on the sim new years Jan 2012 ?

And April ? was starting with the 450's , now its the end of May , so 60 Days with the 450's ? so far ? .... Something like that ..

Built my 4th Heli last Thu 24 [ flight ready ] , about to go out and put my 15th battery through it when I finish typing this ...
I started last December and have followed a similar path as yours up through a 450. I haven't built a heli yet.
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Old May 29, 2012, 10:29 AM
United States, CA, Rancho Cordova
Joined Jan 2011
3,852 Posts
I saw the title of the post and had to tell you my back yard is covered with broken fixed pitch blades. Not the 45 flybar ones, the 90 fly bar(Walkera #4, Ufly, HBFP. which is more difficult to fly than cp. That last part is just my opinion
barnstorm100 is offline Find More Posts by barnstorm100
Old May 29, 2012, 11:26 AM
unlicensed helicopter nut
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
B-man—

yep, the FP is decidedly 'harder' to fly than a CP bird. That's why it is so useful. By the time you learn how to hover in place in all upright orientations and fly circles and eights the CP bird feels stable indeed. On the way to this happy state the FP bird is far more resilient and cheaper to repair than the CP. It is also very flyable indoors. I don't know about everyone else here but I work most days and there is considerable wind hereabouts, which can make beginner's CP practice hazardous to heli's. I have spent many nights flying inside, determined to master nose-in and circuits and my FP's really did me well in these respects.

I never would have bought an FP on my own initiative. But my friend estarter gave me a Walkera #4 and instructed me to use it and I'm really glad that I did, since my average Blade CP Pro crash cost almost 10.00 (main blades, main shaft, feathering shaft) for very short air time.
zen@lanset.com is offline Find More Posts by zen@lanset.com
Old May 29, 2012, 11:47 AM
Joined May 2012
12 Posts
Does anybody own a KDS-450 helicopter, preferably a KDS-450C?
Private Message me please.
KDS Addict is offline Find More Posts by KDS Addict
Old May 29, 2012, 01:12 PM
Joined Aug 2003
624 Posts
hi i ordered flymentor from hk ,arived before weekend so was looking forward to test
flying it ,getting it dialed in ,but it was defective ,at least control box died before heli
could be test flown ,so it didnt get a chance to take my heli whith it
mdugas is offline Find More Posts by mdugas
Old May 29, 2012, 09:30 PM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,108 Posts
Hmmm

hopefully there not all going to be like that ...

Will most likely start setting mine up Friday .. and have it operational by the week end , fingers crossed ...