HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:27 AM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,016 Posts
Thanks Nomatta
So that is the 40 sized and you built the sides of the fuse down as a belly pan, and mounted the wings to the side of the fuse instead of just running it under the fuse with a belly pan below the wing, Very cool and beautiful work looks great, I forgot you originally did a 2 piece wing for the 40, Did you have to cut the wing down in length or did you just do the 2 feet per side anyway?
Waldopepperaxe is online now Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:26 PM
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2003
1,286 Posts
The 2 piece method I am employing is somewhat compared to how the Sig Something Extra uses. The only difference is I will be using nylon bolts instead of the eyehooks and rubber bands as the Sig SE method shows.

If you look at the small Twist 480 they use a 2 piece wing design as well. If they can get the workings to fit in that one I don't see how a .40 size would be harder.
Greg
Greg Knipp is offline Find More Posts by Greg Knipp
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:41 PM
Cookies Good - Bacon Better
Portland, Oregon
Joined Sep 2008
1,607 Posts
22 1/2 inches per side, three inch wide fuse. Did it mostly as an experiment. Not really justified for a 4 foot wingspan.
NoMatta is online now Find More Posts by NoMatta
Old Apr 03, 2013, 05:17 PM
Joined Sep 2012
34 Posts
Tweplica Maiden!

Well, the weather warmed up a bit around here in mid-Michigan last Saturday, so I flew my Tweplica for the first time. My camera man tried to get a good first flight video, but I had a bit to much elevator dialed in (actually, I just wasn't prepared for how agile and responsive the plane would be) and she bolted straight up into the air once she had enough speed. I freaked out a bit thinking my balance was off and it was tail heavy, but I recovered quickly and trimmed it out. It hardy needed anything. Maybe a click or two of aileron and elevator. It's well balanced; inverted flight only required a comfortable touch of elevator input.

I flew her three times and gotta say... I'm loving this plane. She's a bit squirrely in knife-edge (doesn't like to veer from being perfectly vertical), but that's more a matter of getting used to its flight characteristics.

Tweplica .40 Scratch Build Second Flight (1 min 22 sec)
Billytown is offline Find More Posts by Billytown
Old Apr 03, 2013, 10:31 PM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,016 Posts
I'm sorry billytown were gonna need to see the maiden flight and the landing lol that's awesome man I'm so glad you had a good experience, knife edge takes some practice with this bird but you can do laps in knife edge no problem once your used to her. Very cool to hear and post all the pics and vids you want here, I love to see them. Congrats and thanks for pposting your bild progress and vid. You will be lovin this bird for a long time its a very fun plane she likes to be flown rough and Twisty lol
Old Apr 03, 2013, 11:37 PM
Joined Sep 2012
34 Posts
All right, fair enough! I'll get the ACTUAL maiden footage uploaded and posted. It's nothing spectacular, mind you. Mostly me just cautiously taking her around for laps. I'll sneak in a landing vid to boot... Give me 24 hours. Hitting the sack now.
Old Apr 04, 2013, 08:56 AM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,016 Posts
No problem I am just kidding around, but we would like to see it when you get a chance if you don't mind. Usually a Maiden flight has all the excitement in the voices and the way the plane is flying around lol especially if there is panic thats when its real funny lol
Old Apr 04, 2013, 12:54 PM
Joined Sep 2012
34 Posts
OK as requested:

The ACTUAL Maiden (The first part of the video is me just taxiing around for a while. Head to 1:14 for the takeoff) It was a breezy day, so there's lots of wind noise in the mic, sorry!

Tweplica Scratch Build Maiden Flight (3 min 19 sec)

And a landing:

Tweplica Scratch Build Landing (0 min 17 sec)
Old Apr 04, 2013, 01:28 PM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,016 Posts
Now thats what i'm talkin about Awesome job and you did a fantastic job on the build she looks and flys beautiful and sweeeeeet landing
Old Apr 04, 2013, 01:54 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post
Now thats what i'm talkin about Awesome job and you did a fantastic job on the build she looks and flys beautiful and sweeeeeet landing
+10000 to everything Waldo said! Nice build, sharp covering job, and great landing. Love those 4 stoke engines...which one do you have on there and what size prop?
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Apr 04, 2013, 02:07 PM
Joined Sep 2012
34 Posts
Thanks guys!

It's a Saito .72 turning a Master Airscrew 13x6. I have an APC 13.75x3.75 prop I want to try out on it though. But the current prop tows it around pretty nicely. Hovers well, decent top speed (though I don't need that so much).

I am going to put some black stripes on the underside of the wing. I didn't think orientation was going to be an issue, but at a distance... yellow and white in a bright sky aren't as easily discernable as I had anticipated...

If all goes according to plan, wait 'til you see what I re-maiden this afternoon. Details if/when it actually happens... =)
Old Apr 05, 2013, 10:21 AM
Joined Sep 2012
34 Posts
A re-maiden flight of a Funtana S-40 I restored this winter. It was in rough shape and headed for the dumpster. Stripped it down, made all the repairs, recovered it with a custom design, and threw a Saito FA-100 up front. The engine is way too big for the original cowl. It was windy again, so pardon the mic noise. (Jump to 1:01 for the actual takeoff.)

Restored Funtana S40 Re-Maiden Flight (2 min 20 sec)

Here's the landing of the re-maiden flight:

Restored Funtana S40 Re-Maiden Landing (0 min 33 sec)

Then on the second flight I had a deadstick right in the middle of a vertical climb over a farm field only maybe 75 feet in the air. Unable to make it back to the grass, I turned it into the stiff breeze going that day and floated it down and landed it right on its belly in a field.

I've already got it repaired and ready to fly again. It was a lucky and easy-to-fix clean break behind the cockpit:
Old Apr 05, 2013, 11:06 AM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,016 Posts
Nice report and I love it when a rebuild comes together, and apart and back together
Old Apr 06, 2013, 08:23 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Yeah the twist like to break in the same place.
Boy that scratch built twist sure flies nice. I'm sure you'll see she is great for flying in the wind.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old May 21, 2013, 12:22 PM
Team Fearless
United States, MD, Piney Point
Joined Mar 2005
1,747 Posts
Hello all,
I'm not sure if this has been asked or not, but how do you guys think the Tweplica would do with a sheeted foam core wing? I recently got into foam wing cutting and want to try different wings and airfoils.

Thanks,
Shawn
~SnApRoLl is online now Find More Posts by ~SnApRoLl