HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2008, 11:04 AM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,001 Posts
Discussion
Radio equip for OLY11

Hello. I am going to build an Oly over the winter and have been all over the internet looking at radios and equip. I have decided on the SPEK DX6i radio. But as I am a beginner, can one of you seasoned pilots please tell me, from your experience, where is the best place to buy the radio (Central Hobbies maybe?)and what servos should I use in this bird? I assume that I will need 3 servos. Rudder, elev, and spoilers.Will standard size be ok? This might save me a lot of time and your suggestions are truly appreciated. Regards, Don.
planepainter is offline Find More Posts by planepainter
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2008, 11:53 AM
Chandler, Az.
Joined Mar 2008
232 Posts
Radio for OlyII

Planepainter;

Since I stuck my 2 cents in before, Ill do it again, by the way, I highly recommend a four servo set-up on the OlyII; 2-spoilers in wing, 1-rudder, and 1-elevator. With the 6i, I would use sm 22's all around, although full size servos will fit, you want the wing servos as light as possible. As far as where to buy the system, just look around-the price will be the same, but some places give better service than others. I would buy the bare transmitter/receiver package (no servos) and buy the servos separately. You will want a full range receiver-NOT the AR6100! but I think the 6i package comes with the AR6200 which will be fine.

Bob
Sweet-ole-Bob is offline Find More Posts by Sweet-ole-Bob
Old Sep 09, 2008, 12:08 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,001 Posts
As usual Bob great advice. Central Hobbies has the DX6i for $179. As far as I can tell that is the best price I could find. Thanks for the servo info. I would assume that there is already a thread that explains, for someone like me, how to best set up the mini servos in the wings? I will need that information when it comes to modifying my plane. Thanks, Don.
Old Sep 09, 2008, 12:56 PM
It was just a flesh wound!
San Diego, CA
Joined Sep 2007
2,139 Posts
Related question:

I have an old (but in great condition) Oly 650 and I want to add spoilers. Any recommendations regarding small servos in the wing vs. single servo in the fuse with pull cords?

Thanks,

Dale
he4gott is offline Find More Posts by he4gott
Old Sep 09, 2008, 01:36 PM
Chandler, Az.
Joined Mar 2008
232 Posts
Wing mounted servos

He4got,

I used the old drawstring spoilers on my Aquilla back in the 70's when servos were big and heavy. We now have the luxury of small, light, and inexpensive servos that can be mounted directly under the spoiler ( the servo arm pushes the spoiler blade directly, so no pushrods etc.). Works well, and is simple-what more do you yoiu want?

planepainter

There are several good threads that show this installation- try the Crysalis group build thread in Electric sailplanes.

Bob

P.S. $179 is a good price for the 6i
Old Sep 09, 2008, 02:31 PM
Clearlake, CA. USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,019 Posts
Any

Quote:
Originally Posted by he4gott
Related question:

I have an old (but in great condition) Oly 650 and I want to add spoilers. Any recommendations regarding small servos in the wing vs. single servo in the fuse with pull cords?

Thanks,

Dale

Any will work work just fine..... Hs 55,65 dymond 4.7, 60, you pik no problem...

Wylie S,
Wylie Shaw is offline Find More Posts by Wylie Shaw
Old Sep 09, 2008, 02:37 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,001 Posts
Bob, I agree. $179 is a good price with the rec. Servos are $19 ea. I will look at that thread for installation. Can't be too hard with direct connection. Don.
Old Sep 09, 2008, 04:04 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,295 Posts
Another great spoiler mod discussion is here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ga+spoiler+mod

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Sep 09, 2008, 06:14 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,001 Posts
Wayne, I don't know if you will come back here or not but I just wanted to say THANKS!!! That is exactly what I needed.Don.
Old Sep 09, 2008, 07:12 PM
Chandler, Az.
Joined Mar 2008
232 Posts
Wow

Thanks Wayne- that was the link I was looking for.

Planepainter- if the spoilers go up 40 degrees or so, they are effective-doesn't need to be 90 deg. They do need to be ballanced side to side though.

Bob
Old Sep 09, 2008, 07:38 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,295 Posts
I used that link as a guide for the spoilers I put into my Riser 2M. Depending on the wing design you may not even need to cut into the ribs. My Riser wing is built with 1/16 caps on all of the ribs so all I needed to do was to remove the cap pieces and I was good to go.

I also highly recommend using the flat carbon stock for the spoilers. It lays flat, does not warp or bend when it shouldn't. It does have some flex to it but not enough to pose any problems in this application.

Here is a picture of how it looked on my plane.

Wayne

Edit:

I also agree that they do not need to deploy at 90 degrees to be effective. Halfway up is plenty to disrupt the lift of the wing.
Old Sep 09, 2008, 07:46 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,295 Posts
Boy, one other thing now that I am thinking about it. There was some good discussion about where to put them within the wing. It was generally decided that further out within the main wing panel was better. The reasoning behind this was that the further out you pushed them the more you will have clean air flowing over your rudder and that in turn gives you better control.

It was also decided that they should not be on the wing joint joining the two wing halves. It was a strength issue, especially if you need to shave down the rib to get them to fit flush to the wing surface.

Wayne
Old Sep 09, 2008, 08:09 PM
Chandler, Az.
Joined Mar 2008
232 Posts
Wow-again

Wayne;

Gorgeous Riser wing! Love the old wood construction,

Speaking of that, Planepainter, I assume you are getting an Airtronics Oly II( from Sky bench?)- the spoilers are 5 bays on each side-Huge by comparison with most birds of that vintage, and while they could be moved outboard one more bay, I think it would weaken the structure. The spoilers on my Oly work just fine, and in Arizona, we use them to save the plane from some of our more gentle thermals as well as for landing.

Bob
Old Sep 10, 2008, 08:03 AM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,001 Posts
Wayne, thanks again. And like Bob says, it is a beautiful wing! I was abit taken back when the thread said to glue the servos in. How do you get it out if you need to replace or service it? Or are they so reliable that there is never any need to get at them?

Bob, yes I am going with the Skybench Oly. I have read only good things about this kit and I love the look of the wing. It will be beautiful with transparent covering! I plan to make it a fall - winter build as up here the cold must make it uncomfortable to fly and I want to take my time on this first build of a sailplane of this size. Don.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 09:32 AM
Clearlake, CA. USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,019 Posts
Household goop

Quote:
Originally Posted by planepainter
Wayne, thanks again. And like Bob says, it is a beautiful wing! I was abit taken back when the thread said to glue the servos in. How do you get it out if you need to replace or service it? Or are they so reliable that there is never any need to get at them?

Bob, yes I am going with the Skybench Oly. I have read only good things about this kit and I love the look of the wing. It will be beautiful with transparent covering! I plan to make it a fall - winter build as up here the cold must make it uncomfortable to fly and I want to take my time on this first build of a sailplane of this size. Don.

You can use House hold goop to glue in...removal just cut the goop...if you make a hatch for it you can make servo rails and bolt em in as per normal.. The SkyBench OLY II is a quick build..... doesn't take long at all, if you keep at it....or you can just stretch it out... they are very nice kits..... got too.....

Best regards,

Wylie S.
Wylie Shaw is offline Find More Posts by Wylie Shaw