HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 24, 2007, 12:32 PM
East Hartford, CT
Joined Sep 2006
1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredericG
I fixed the ">999m altitude issue" and also dropped the leading zero's. I have two versions, one where the zero's are replaced by spaces, one with underscores.
Not sure if it is an improvement...

I also implemented a flight-time indication (runs while speed > 5 km/h). Not as useful as a mAh indication but already very useful. I will incorporate this in the top row. I now think that I will show two fixed fields on the left and in the middle and all other fields alternating on the right.

Frederic
Spaces are better as they take up less room on the screen. The more you can see the better. If you need any coding help with this I have experience in Assembly, Basic, C, C++, Ada, Fortran, Perl, Lisp, Java, and other various languages.

Feel free to PM me if needed though I can't help until I finish this semester on May 5th.
wedge98 is offline Find More Posts by wedge98
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2007, 12:27 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
9,576 Posts
That OSD looks great frederic, I need one of those ! The flight time is also a really neat feature, I always forget to start timing when I takeoff. I cant tell you how many times I fly for a while and then ask my wife " how long have I been up ?". Given that I get 45 minute flights, its easy to lose track.

Having the time start automatically with speed is nothing short of genius One thing I would like to add, its very easy to get a speed of 0 for a for a while in wind, slowflight in wind, stalls, etc. Have you programmed it so that the speed does not reset to zero unless its stopped for a full minute or so ? No one turns around planes in less than a minute in real life, so I think maybe a full minute would be a good time that would almost guarantee no false resets of the timer. It would be a shame to have a neat feature like that and have it constantly reset to zero every time the ground speed went to zero.

JettPilot
JettPilot is offline Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 25, 2007, 12:44 PM
Oxford, MS
Joined Dec 2005
489 Posts
45 minute flghts? What's your setup if you don't mind me asking? I am about to pull the trigger on a Neu 1105/4Y brushless with a Phoenix-25 ESC and a Thunder Power 2100 mah lipo and I want to make sure I am getting the best compromise between power and efficiency. What are you using? Thanks!
replayreb is offline Find More Posts by replayreb
Old Apr 26, 2007, 01:36 AM
Belgium, Aalst
Joined Dec 2002
933 Posts
Wedge98,
For the time being I think it would take more time to coordinate than to do the actual programming. I now have about 5% code space left, so no more space for major coding efforts Perhaps in the future, I will keep it in mind.
The characters have fixed sizes, so ' ' is as big as a '_'

JettPilot,
Glad you like the timer. Currently, the timer does not reset; the timer is reset when I replace the battery.

I have found that it takes some effort to read and process (in you mind) the values. Especailly the heading is hard to interpret. I have now added a north-indicator along the pilot indicator...

Frederic
FredericG is offline Find More Posts by FredericG
Old Apr 26, 2007, 08:06 AM
It's in-oz, not in/oz!
United States, GA, Marietta
Joined Mar 2002
166 Posts
I have a data presentation suggestion (in other words, feel free to stick with what you have!): Instead of displaying "SPD 94", how about "94 KPH", which you could easily change to ""60 MPH". I find seeing the units better info than the "title" of the data. I'm sure that once you get used to using it, you'll know that heading is far left, speed middle, etc.

You're spot on about reading numbers vs a graphical display of information. But with our limited budget (money, power, computational) we're stuck with the simple stuff. Although I did see a screen shot of an OSD that someone showed here (or was it Aerial photog forum?) that looked pretty advanced!

tom
tomp is offline Find More Posts by tomp
Old Apr 26, 2007, 09:28 AM
Sterling Heights, Michigan, United States
Joined Nov 2003
500 Posts
I've been busy with other projects, finally had a chance to finish up on my version of RCAP. I did receive all the parts for the OSD, but have not had anytime to play with it. Here is the final version. Would of liked to have used a better pressure sensor combination. Will do that on the next rev. since I want to make one that uses the sparksfun sensor if this setup doesn't workout. Last chance for anymore inputs. Will be sending it out tomorrow.
Dimensions are 2.7"x1.7"

Kin
http://www.embeddedtronics.com/
kfong is offline Find More Posts by kfong
Last edited by kfong; Apr 26, 2007 at 09:36 AM.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 03:41 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
9,576 Posts
I dont know if I like the north indicator or not... Its a great idea, but it kind of detracts from the heading to waypoint, and if you fly, you get used to the numbers real quick. I see your idea about making it graphical, but why North if I cannot tell by grapics what is South, East, or West ? Maybe all of the directions would be really cool, like a compass, but then it gets so cluttered the pointer to home gets lost in it. That is a cool feature, but a hard one to do without to much clutter and detracting from the all important "home" indicator. This feature is hard to talk about, flying with it and seeing how it works out would be the best thing to see if this feature is useful.

As far as the suggestion for MPH, I like your current SPD and HDG much better. We all know what the values are, and its just redundant to put MPH etc.. If things really start to go bad, its easy to forget for a few moments which number is which and having SPD HDG and ALT before the number is a great help. Weather its KPH , FEET, etc is "nice to know" information, but not worth the clutter on the screen, people will fly the numbers they are used to seeing no matter what units they are in. If 99 is where your plane starts to lose control and come apart, you avoid anything near 99, no matter if its KPH, MPH or any other value..

I definately do not like the _ lines before the numbers, it looks horrible. Having blank spaces before all the numbers as in your previous version before looked so much cleaner and better. Im not trying to knock your project, its the best I have seen and I hope to build one. As someone that flys FPV a lot, I would like to tell you what seems most user friendly and usable for FPV.

JettPilot
JettPilot is offline Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Last edited by JettPilot; Apr 26, 2007 at 03:52 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 12:52 PM
Spanish UAV
Sevilla, Spain
Joined Mar 2005
284 Posts
Hi Frederic

Great improvements

I have not to much experience with FPV, but I like the Nort indicator.

I also prefer the blank spaces

Eladio
eladiomf is offline Find More Posts by eladiomf
Old Apr 28, 2007, 12:44 PM
Belgium, Aalst
Joined Dec 2002
933 Posts
As you say JettPilot, only tests can show if a feature is useful or not.
So, I did a few flights today and I am happy with the north-indicator. I have recorded a small video that shows how it looks:

http://www.rc-flight.be/temp/north-indicator.wmv

The Pilot-indicator is good to help you home but not so helpful in orientation. Combined with the north-indicator, however, orientation is relatively easy.

Yes, I removed the underscores, I did not feel happy about them either.

Frederic
Last edited by FredericG; May 11, 2007 at 10:51 AM.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 12:54 PM
Belgium, Aalst
Joined Dec 2002
933 Posts
What to do with panning?

I installed a panning servo today, currently controlled by a slider. It feels a bit strange when the camera is rotated. I wonder if it would be cool/helpful is there could be an integration with the OSD...

We could shift the indicators. For example: when you are not flying north, but you are looking north, the north-indicator is in the middle of the screen.

Or we could shift the OSD away so that you can only see the full OSD screen when you are looking forward.

Or, none of the above Perhaps it is all too fancy

Frederic
Old May 17, 2007, 04:11 PM
Belgium, Aalst
Joined Dec 2002
933 Posts
First rudder-home experiments...

Here I am again with some news...

My current hardware just allows me to detect 2 servo signals and drive one servo, just enough to start experimenting with the rudder-home functionality.
For now, all parameters are hardcoded and I will need to do additional experimenting to get this completely right. The direction to the pilot I have, but driving the rudder from that seems more complicated than it seems. Perhaps I should ask the UAV guys how they do it. One of the problems is the wind: one time it causes overshoot, other times it prevents the plane to reach the optimal direction.

Here I have a small video where you can see it. Ignore the sometimes bad downlink, I still use the standard antenna and I think there is interference from my wlan access point.

Video:
http://www.rc-flight.be/temp/rudder_home.wmv

Frederic
Last edited by FredericG; May 18, 2007 at 05:55 AM.
Old May 17, 2007, 07:01 PM
Multicopter/FPV/UAV/HAM
Austria, Stmk., Neudau
Joined Jun 2006
823 Posts
Hey, nice video Frederic and interesting experiment ! From the Paparazzi autopilot I know that navigating with wind is not that simple, lot of calculating. Paparazzi is Open Source but written in C not in Basic unfortunately for you .

Erwin
_helitron_ is offline Find More Posts by _helitron_
Old May 18, 2007, 01:43 PM
Belgium, Aalst
Joined Dec 2002
933 Posts
Actually the root cause is the lag in the GPS data. This can of course be solved my taking a slow turn. The problem is that the wind can prevent the plane to turn, so you need rather important rudder deviation. But the problem is than that the plane turns too fast in the case the wind is assisting the turn.

I could have a look at other projects, but on the other hand, experimenting is fun... I think I will try steering in "waves", steer for 2 seconds and than wait for 2 seconds, ...
BTW my code is in C.

Have you noticed the climbing/descending indicator I am experimenting with? It is a bar with variable height. When it is equal to the line, you are level. The visibility is not good, I will make the background dark. Not sure if I will keep it or where I where I will place it.

Frederic
Old May 18, 2007, 07:00 PM
Joined Nov 2006
2,116 Posts
Instead "SPD 35" could not be better write "35 km/h"?
that just as I would like to see it personally, is your osd and u write it as u like obviously.

How help that fact of see HDG and "N" in the osd to come home? is not enought with the horizontal line ?

Is not better to read GPS numbers to find it in case you lost it?
what do you think of see something like that?

wallaguest1 is offline Find More Posts by wallaguest1
Last edited by wallaguest1; May 18, 2007 at 07:09 PM.
Old May 18, 2007, 09:20 PM
Thailand
Joined Apr 2006
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredericG
Actually the root cause is the lag in the GPS data. This can of course be solved my taking a slow turn. The problem is that the wind can prevent the plane to turn, so you need rather important rudder deviation. But the problem is than that the plane turns too fast in the case the wind is assisting the turn.

I could have a look at other projects, but on the other hand, experimenting is fun... I think I will try steering in "waves", steer for 2 seconds and than wait for 2 seconds, ...
BTW my code is in C.

Have you noticed the climbing/descending indicator I am experimenting with? It is a bar with variable height. When it is equal to the line, you are level. The visibility is not good, I will make the background dark. Not sure if I will keep it or where I where I will place it.

Frederic

Just to reconfirm that I am waithing to recieve your project.

Regard
ThaiskyDigital is offline Find More Posts by ThaiskyDigital