HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2014, 06:43 PM
mukilteo, wa, usa
Joined Oct 2006
11 Posts
8' WS PBY Vintage Plans Robert Sweitzer

Hi Bruce,

Thanks a lot, for going the extra mile just to answer my question for the weight of the tip-floats.
This will help me to calculate and minimize the weight for the tip-float drive-motor's.
I hope to fly this airplane scale like as much as possible, so weight is critical as we know.

Best regards,
John.
bluefinger is offline Find More Posts by bluefinger
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2014, 12:26 PM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
3,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefinger View Post
Hi Bruce,

Thanks a lot, for going the extra mile just to answer my question for the weight of the tip-floats.
This will help me to calculate and minimize the weight for the tip-float drive-motor's.
I hope to fly this airplane scale like as much as possible, so weight is critical as we know.

Best regards,
John.
Glad to help they turned out lighter than I thought I'm glad I have a scale now I can really compare and check things out better.

Good luck w/ your build.

Bruce
splinterz25 is online now Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old Mar 20, 2014, 11:16 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
3,866 Posts
The weather is warming and should be able to start casting my fiberglass parts once again,
and covering w/ silk & dope just a week or two away now.

Bruce
Old Mar 21, 2014, 11:14 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by splinterz25 View Post
The weather is warming and should be able to start casting my fiberglass parts once again,
and covering w/ silk & dope just a week or two away now.

Bruce
Yep spring here is just now starting to warm up a little . Iam still watching your build splinter but working on a few other hobbys and work things of my own. She wont be long till she is ready for a maiden and looks great now. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Apr 03, 2014, 01:35 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
3,866 Posts
Okay for those of you that have been waiting on me to get back on this build I went to my LHS the other day and he had DOPE in stock

This was my third trip down there I don't use them much anymore because it's 20 min. ride each way
I know I'm spoiled there was one only two mins away they went out of buiss.

Anyway it's warming up and I'll get some poly / glass on the foam molds I've carved
and start to get them ready to cast.

I think I've figuerd out what the problem was when I was casting before
I made the plaster very thin w/ a lot of water and didn't wait long enough for it to dry all the way; so this time I put the molds in the oven on low heat for several hrs.
and them leave them for a day or so.

We'll see if this works better there's still lots to do on this whole build and I now have the BV-138 well on it's way so I'll be jumping back and forth on these two all summer long.
Old Apr 03, 2014, 03:08 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
3,866 Posts
Well here's a step by step covering the pink foam plugs w/ 3/4 oz glass cloth and water base poly.

I'm trying to show the relieve cuts to get the whole thing covered w/ one piece of glass cloth.

If you want the captions for the photos go to warbirds; HERE
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...845035&page=62

Bruce
Old Apr 04, 2014, 10:23 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
3,866 Posts
well I put about 5 coats of poly on so far, there's a few puckers in the glass.

So to get rid of these I slice into them then poly again and as it dries press it down until it sticks to the foam.

I got the form box ready covered in duct tape and nut can to cast the plugs in, I like using these because they just peal away once the plaster is hard.

I also started to clean the mess in the build room getting ready for the switch of the planes the PBY will go down stairs and the BV-138 wing will move up staris in a few weeks.

Check it,

Bruce
Old Apr 04, 2014, 10:44 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,231 Posts
I had overlaping pieces of cloth on my wingtip floats and bottom of my solent and some 80 grit sand paper cut them down fast then 150 -400 wet sanding to get them smooth again. It was a couple days of sanding everything smooth then auto spot puddy to fill a couple low spots and primer . Looks good splinter joe
Old Apr 05, 2014, 07:57 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
3,866 Posts
Thank you JO a little more sanding then one more coat of poly then I start waxing.
I have things to do this morning but maybe this afternoon I'll get the plaster mixed and cast.

Bruce
Old Apr 05, 2014, 07:40 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
3,866 Posts
I've posted this on my other threads and there seems to be a quite a few guys interested
if your new or are just looking for ways to do most everything in this hobby I recommend
this guys books he has a few but this one covers most everything.

There are NO SECRETS" by Harry Higley; it's not fancy but there's a great deal of tips and methods in there like paint,adhesives,tools,planking-sheeting,fillets & canopies,paint problems and much more.

I think I payed $6-$10 for the book on line from Amazon.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXL792

I hope this helps some of you guys out there start building,

Bruce
Old Apr 14, 2014, 12:43 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
3,866 Posts
I'm still working on my yard/ garden/ fencing projects hang in there I'll be back soon.

Bruce
Old Apr 14, 2014, 01:00 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by splinterz25 View Post
I'm still working on my yard/ garden/ fencing projects hang in there I'll be back soon.

Bruce
Oh you too ! lmao Nice cold rainy day today but i got all the leaves ,gardens cleaned up last week . My motorcycle is pollished and ready, now they say it might snow this afternoon. lmao My fence was put up long ago and her pond with fountain also digging through flagstone was done ,once i till everything up for the boss its all hers. . I have the BOSS make her list out once a year and its the law that nothing else gets done after her list is finished in that year. joe