HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:24 AM
Leeds/Bradford Leeds, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jun 2003
1,490 Posts
Just a thought, Have you tried Huddersfield and district model club as they have facilities for gliders.
glenbees is offline Find More Posts by glenbees
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:41 AM
United Kingdom, England, Keighley
Joined Nov 2012
99 Posts
Thanks Glen!

I've found a fiend of mine used to fly planes. He's offered help to get me into the air once I've got a bird sorted out, so hopefully that should be good.
I haven't tried Huddersfield, but will look into. Once I'm sorted with something to fly and had a bit of practice, I'd love join you for a flight or two - very kind of you to offer and you're certainly not that far away, especially compared to many of the other members on this board!
Stu L is offline Find More Posts by Stu L
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:45 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
23,485 Posts
The Radian is an EXCELLENT first electric launched glider as long as you plan to fly it as a glider. That means you launch and climb for about 30 to 45 seconds, then you power off and glide, looking for thermals. This is not a sport plane or an aerobat but it is an excellent first thermal soaring glider.

CAREFUL ON LAUNCH!

The Radian has a tendency to pull up hard on launch. You have to get used to this.

Remember that this is a glider. You don't need power to get it to fly, only to get it to height. Before you launch it, you should be able to hand throw it and have it glide straight out from your hand. Like this video of a Hand Throw Test Glide
>
rc sailplane bird of time (0 min 17 sec)

After you put it together this will allow you to confirm that it is trimmed properly. Only after you can do this should you power up to climb.

When you do launch, I recommend you launch with power off, confirm the glide, then add power gently. Take 2-3 seconds to get it to 2/3 throttle and just climb at that setting till you are comfortable with some height, then take 2-3 seconds to bring the power down, then off.

Remember that a glider should be flown high, over 100 feet/30 meters. I normally launch to about 200 meters, then power off.

These discussions should be helpful.

> Six Keys to Success for New Pilots
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355208

> The New Glider Pilot's Handbook
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=575459

> THINGS TO CHECK ON AN RTF
> http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=767681

HOW TO FIX WARPS, DENTS, TWISTS OR UNCRUNCH FOAM PARTS
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=11127

EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT ELECTRIC POWERED FLIGHT
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31368

> WHAT GOES ON WHICH STICK ON A R/E OR RES GLIDER?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...63&postcount=6
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:38 AM
Joined Nov 2012
99 Posts
Thanks very much aeajr.
I really appreciate your input and will try to take it all on board. Some of the links I've already read through, others I'd missed entirely. I've read a lot of your posts on here and elsewhere; you always seem to have plenty of advice - I'm finding it all useful!

I found a nice build thread of someone putting a gentle lady together from a kit. I don't think it would be beyond me, so I'll look forward to that at some point in the future too. That is, once I've earned my wings with a rtf like a Radian - I think learning to fly will be enough of a challenge for the time being.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:35 PM
Joined Jun 2003
1,490 Posts
Stu, your are welcome, good luck with your first glider. Glen
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:20 PM
Joined Nov 2012
99 Posts
Chaps, could I impose on you one last time?
You've all been so helpful with advice, I hope I'm not being too much of a pest.

I took a trip to my local hobby shop today. Partly because it occurred to me that I'd like to support them if I can and partly because I thought it might be nice to have something to fly with spares available locally. Also LHS = free postage

So anyway, I was hoping to find a Radian. The owner was helpful, but suggested that it's only available in the states (after some googling, I now know this isn't quite true, though she's a much rarer bird over here). So I can mail order a Radian (not the Pro), however the cheapest I can find converts to $286 and I'll still need radio gear. That is perhaps a little steep for a first model to 'test the water'...
The owner in my LHS suggested I try a Nine Eagles Sky Surfer. It's completely RTF at $89, including radio gear, which is much more like it. He said it was the best model he carried for a true beginner and that he also stocks spares.
So I was super happy at this point, but having checked on here, some people are suggesting that it's better as a 2nd or 3rd glider.
Should I put my trust in my LHS, or is there a UK equivalent of a Radian?
Or do I simply need to save some more cash
Many thanks, and once again, appreciate your input!
Stu
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:15 PM
Joined Jun 2003
1,490 Posts
Seems to me he is recommending a model he has in stock and not what is best for you. Do a search on Internet for a Radian as I feel sure you will come across one inthe UK. Bought one myself not so long ago buy got fed up with it after a while and moved on to a full house sailplane. Also look on the BMFA website for gliders as a suitable glider will become available if you are willing to keep looking.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:22 PM
Don't ask me anything...
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu L View Post
You've all been so helpful with advice, I hope I'm not being too much of a pest.

I took a trip to my local hobby shop today. Partly because it occurred to me that I'd like to support them if I can and partly because I thought it might be nice to have something to fly with spares available locally. Also LHS = free postage

So anyway, I was hoping to find a Radian. The owner was helpful, but suggested that it's only available in the states (after some googling, I now know this isn't quite true, though she's a much rarer bird over here). So I can mail order a Radian (not the Pro), however the cheapest I can find converts to $286 and I'll still need radio gear. That is perhaps a little steep for a first model to 'test the water'...
The owner in my LHS suggested I try a Nine Eagles Sky Surfer. It's completely RTF at $89, including radio gear, which is much more like it. He said it was the best model he carried for a true beginner and that he also stocks spares.
So I was super happy at this point, but having checked on here, some people are suggesting that it's better as a 2nd or 3rd glider.
Stu
I don't know the 9 Eagles Sky Surfer, but I see them all over the place, and it clearly has a good following. Try the search function on these forums. I wouldn't be at all surprised that it flies as good as a Radian.

Then there's the Multiplex EasyGlider, possibly THE plane that started the whole market category all on it's own, and much more popular it seems this side of the pond.

TBH the Radian is OK, but I fail to see how it justifies all the excitement over in north America that it does.

Chris
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:54 PM
Joined Jun 2003
1,490 Posts
Try Gliders model shop at Newark, They have a Radian plus more beginners models and will give you an honest opinion also think it is free shipping over a certain amount.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:58 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
23,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu L View Post

Stu
The Sky Surfer looks like a nice little electric glider. Because it is not very big, .8 meters, you won't be able to fly it very far but that is not necessarily a problem.
http://www.helipal.com/nine-eagles-s...z-edition.html

I can't speak to the qualty of the parts or how well it will stand up to abuse, but I don't see anything immediatly wrong with it. The radio is more like a game controller than a standard radio but again, that is not really a huge issue.

Here is a large discussion thread about the Sky Surfer, at least I think this is the same plane.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=nine+eagl+sky

here is a quote from that thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_Vincent View Post
I finally maidened my Sky Surfer yesterday morning (I have had it since May). It was my first 4-channel plane and I have only limited hands-on experience with 3-channel, although I have flown 4-channel planes in a flight sim.

Simply put, it was awesome. At first there was too much right aileron, but once I got this trimmed out it flew like it was on rails. What a smooth and responsive plane, a real joy to fly.

It's tough, too. At one point I piled it in from about 40 or 50 feet (pilot error) and the canopy and wings popped off, but no damage at all to the plane. I put it right back in the air. Glad it was over soft soccer field grass.

Oh and I flew it on high rates the whole time and really had no issues with control. I did find that it takes some room to turn and I certainly needed the space I had to control it. I am sure I will get better with time. At my friend's encouragement I took it up high and did a little power-off gliding, what a blast.

It seems a little nose-heavy and adding some weight to the back might slow it down, but I am not sure I want to change the COG because it flies so well as is. I want to try to slow it down without that first.

My flying buddy Greg, who has been flying for years and knows a lot about RC planes, was totally impressed, which is a great endorsement.

Now I just need another battery so I can fly longer!

I found this quote which seems relevent to this discussion. It is on this page:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...agl+sky&page=5

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioRS View Post
Another note: I also fly a Parkzone Radian and the Nine Eagles SkySurfer / Robbe Arcus Ariy 780 profile is extremely similar in proportions, IF you widen the wing span a little on the Surfer. The Radian is supreme for thermals and floating, the glide ratio is beyond words, you have to experience one to understand.

Anyway, I will fly stock for now but, I thought it would be nice to improve the glide ratio some on the Surfer so I overlaid an image of the Radian on top of the Surfer to compare. WOW, almost exact! Maybe purchasing another BNF soon.

Stay tuned on this...

If you like it, buy it and try it. Could be a lot of fun. Just note that that short wing span is going to get tossed around by any significant wind so make sure you do your early flights in calm weather. You might also consider picking up a second battery so you can charge one while you fly one.

Let us know how it works for you.
Last edited by aeajr; Nov 20, 2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:18 AM
Bradford West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Apr 2010
1,532 Posts
Stu, there are three if not four flying sites very close to where you live. Go to Bingley, turn left up Park road and up onto Baildon moor. There are slopes facing all four compass points. Have a look on the flying site map on this forum.

Regards Ian
Circlip is offline Find More Posts by Circlip
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:59 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
23,485 Posts
Wow, sites for all directions. I may need to move to the UK.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:02 AM
Joined Nov 2012
99 Posts
Yeah, is heard that baildon moor was a good site; its only 10 mins from my front door

Aeajr, come on over - we'll make some room for you
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:02 PM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
4,348 Posts
radian

agree with popular advice: radian is your best bet. i own 1 and am having the time of my life with it. stock.

but....if you have not flown before,

1.-first try to go watch others flying.
2.-and above all, find some1 who can teach you to fly it at the beginning. some1 that you see him flying and is reliable (otherwise you don't need any1 to help you to break your plane).
then you can try it, with much better chances to avoid breaking it. there is nothing as discouraging as crashing your 1st plane at the 1st attempt.
you have enough with learning how much throw. and then orientation. and you are dealing now with 3 dimensions.

good luck.
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:30 AM
Joined Nov 2012
99 Posts
Thanks Phil.

Whilst I struggled with what to do, the misses has offered to pick up the sky surfer from the LHS for xmas. Unless I buy the pro, the radian is darn expensive over here. So her indoors suggested that if she picks up the surfer, I've spent nothing. And if it turns out to be a disaster, no loss. Bless her, she's ace.