HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:28 AM
Doing Projects Differently
Joined Jan 2012
216 Posts
Discussion
Idea to make a full fuselage aircraft with a light weight kite type covered wing

I have an idea of making a dragon shaped full fuselage aircraft with a kite like wing ( making it look like the main dragon ( toothless) from how to train your dragon and hiccup riding him) the aircraft would be powered like a vector kite (using a 7mm motor and prop along with the ESC from a playmate) to turn right or left using the power of the prop turned in that direction and a rudder close to the rear of the dragons tail to make it ascend or descend in the sky .

what does anyone or everyone think of my Idea?
let me know Dave
AzTrekie is offline Find More Posts by AzTrekie
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:55 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,455 Posts
There are some 'self inflating' dragon shaped kites, a Goggle on dragon kites should find some, (not the Chinese Dragon types), that may be adaptable..

Also, a post from the RC Kites forum -
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=35

and - Toruk Makto from the Movie Avatar

and - The Great Leonopteryx (aka) Toruk
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:12 AM
Joined Jan 2012
216 Posts
they are cool But

Those RCs are cool but I want to have one that looks like the picture usinf Toothless and wing covering simular to the ones that are the flying creatures from avatar which will make my creation unique

Thanks for sharing
Dave
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:32 PM
Joined Jan 2012
216 Posts
Update on by dragon plane

So far I have most of the bottom of the dragon completed now starting to put electronics in it ( using guts from a playmate )

The pictures show the progress pussing the lower half of the dragon skin on less the legs and the full tail

Any and all coments and sugestions welcome
Dave
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:17 PM
Damn this gets addictive.
United Kingdom
Joined Oct 2011
515 Posts
Saw this recently and thought of it when I saw your thread. Nice home made vector thrust universal joint. Might get away without an elevator with that set up. Was thinking some CF tube would make a nice dragon wing frame.

Edit. Forgot to post the link.
DIY Rc Vector Kite (1 min 36 sec)
Thechittyfather is offline Find More Posts by Thechittyfather
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:40 PM
Joined Jan 2012
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thechittyfather View Post
Saw this recently and thought of it when I saw your thread. Nice home made vector thrust universal joint. Might get away without an elevator with that set up. Was thinking some CF tube would make a nice dragon wing frame.

Edit. Forgot to post the link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1zbn...e_gdata_player
My Dragon aircraft will have an elevator located neare the rear by the tail and a swiveling prop to turn right or left in front of the person (hiccup) riding the dragon

Dave
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:50 AM
Joined Sep 2011
63 Posts
Jeez! What kinda cutting device you using? Looks like you trained your hamster to nibble the parts out of the foam. Maybe you try a sharp blade instead... ;-)
mysticranger is offline Find More Posts by mysticranger
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:49 PM
Joined Jan 2012
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticranger View Post
Jeez! What kinda cutting device you using? Looks like you trained your hamster to nibble the parts out of the foam. Maybe you try a sharp blade instead... ;-)

Dragons are not supposed to have smooth skin
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:48 AM
Joined Jan 2012
216 Posts
NEW Update My Dragon Plane

The Dragon plane is coming along nicely with the skin on bottom and the tail along with the feet attached.made a 2D vector unit of the dragon which will be mostly hidden by hiccups face over the motor and the other part of the unit hidden by his body and the dragons body.
Next will be to make the elevators which look like fins which are right in front of the tail the install the2D vector mechanism, electronics from a playmate which incorporates the servos,attach the servos to the elevator and the vectoring motor, and last make from thin plastic with some type of frame to have the wings expand (with a gliding posture like an eagle like this ) and install the wings paint it and bring my creation to life. (then maiden flight time)
The pictures show my progress as of now

Any comments suggestions welcomed
Dave