HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 09, 2011, 01:06 PM
United States, IL, New Lenox
Joined Feb 2005
75 Posts
I have to wonder if this isn't a hybrid of the Stalker 3.9 (DP design from a couple of years back) and the Supra, which Joe is so fond of. The Stalker has a JW airfoil, as does the Maxa. Knowing Joe, both planes would have a thin, fast airfoil. Pod & boom construction reduces manufacturing and shipping cost. It also keeps the price point just above the Aspire/Exploder and just below the Icon 2.
Being built by Vladimir, improvements and spare parts should be easy to get, which is another plus.
soarx4 is offline Find More Posts by soarx4
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2011, 01:38 PM
mostly gliders
Skellefteċ, Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
923 Posts
Just a pipe dream. Being able to buy these beautiful plane as ARF...yes.
By the way, do not let me ruin this thread with my dreams ...
Maxa is certainly a masterly race gear, and that's what counts, but still ...

Genie Pro, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3727434

Houston Hawk, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3562942

...or why not the Inspira, http://www.model.ypsi.cz/index.php?o...rone&Itemid=85

roydor, I wish I could buy a Gremlin from you, is it possible? Looks very good, well done.

/Ville
liukku is offline Find More Posts by liukku
Last edited by liukku; Jun 09, 2011 at 02:03 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 02:23 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,374 Posts
The thing apparent in Maxa compared to Supra is that floating and light air performance seems to drive evolution of F3J planes. As I wrote, 60oz for a 3.9m span is terriby light, no matter what the aerodynamics are.

Maybe we see that because it is so difficult with aerodynamic changes to squeeze out more performance from a design with std size and weight? So what we have, a series of ultra-floaters that have become possible thanks to improved construction techniques. (Give me this state of art -stuff for that early morining flight in big contest!)

However, I see this trend limited value for the everyday flying. Most of the contest flying, and almost 100% of fun flying is done in conditions where current planes are just perfect - one cannot win anything by going to the extremes.

The Maxa 3.5 fits this description of sensible middle of the F3J planes. It is apparetly the no-brainer successior to Supra.
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old Jun 10, 2011, 01:21 PM
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jul 2007
2,434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomo View Post
The thing apparent in Maxa compared to Supra is that floating and light air performance seems to drive evolution of F3J planes. As I wrote, 60oz for a 3.9m span is terriby light, no matter what the aerodynamics are.

Maybe we see that because it is so difficult with aerodynamic changes to squeeze out more performance from a design with std size and weight? So what we have, a series of ultra-floaters that have become possible thanks to improved construction techniques. (Give me this state of art -stuff for that early morining flight in big contest!)

However, I see this trend limited value for the everyday flying. Most of the contest flying, and almost 100% of fun flying is done in conditions where current planes are just perfect - one cannot win anything by going to the extremes.

The Maxa 3.5 fits this description of sensible middle of the F3J planes. It is apparetly the no-brainer successior to Supra.

I think you have hit the nail squarely on the head. A purpose designed plane for a specific event, F3J. I would have named it the FLL2 (first 2 seconds, float, last 2 seconds) for what it should excel at.
jtlsf5 is offline Find More Posts by jtlsf5
Old Jun 10, 2011, 04:28 PM
I do this for fun!
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Joined Sep 2004
1,162 Posts
Outclimbing everyone else in weak lift IS fun flying isn't it?
skyboyken is offline Find More Posts by skyboyken
Old Jun 10, 2011, 06:09 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2003
830 Posts
I haven't spoken to JW about the design philosophy on the Toy for a while, its been about 3 years since I was shown CAD renderings of the model.
I know at the France F3J WC we were both flying Supra and felt at a disadvantage in the 8am launch and hang rounds. Even though we were using light Supra's we were giving up wingspan and area to the Perfect ET and large Xplorers which makes it hard to match when there is no lift around. If I were to do another WC, I would definitely take the 3.95m Toy as a early morning/no lift model. Spending an extra second on tow over the Supra isn't going to hurt much. My other two models would still be a light and full carbon Supra for their fast launch and handling.
lesterpk is online now Find More Posts by lesterpk
Old Jun 15, 2011, 03:26 PM
Joined Oct 2005
63 Posts
Can somebody give me a hint on the airfoil used .................
A .dat or .pro file would be even better ofcourse
arno888 is offline Find More Posts by arno888
Old Jun 15, 2011, 03:33 PM
Throw it like you hate it
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Apr 2007
3,035 Posts
I think Joe designed them. Barrys website says the airfoils used are J00-J03. Don't know if he published them.
Paul
RCPC is offline Find More Posts by RCPC
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 15, 2011, 03:41 PM
Mr. Head
Redding, CA
Joined Feb 2006
90 Posts
I have strange question. I looked at the photos on the KC website, and either the rudder is huge or the horizontal stabilizer is very small. Am I seeing things or just out to lunch on this one?

Randy . . . . . .
c55834 is offline Find More Posts by c55834
Old Jun 15, 2011, 04:11 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Aug 2004
144 Posts
Paul,

The airfoils were developed for the MAXA and won't be published at this time.

Barry
Blaster is online now Find More Posts by Blaster
Old Jun 15, 2011, 07:40 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Dec 2008
271 Posts
When will the first planes be available? I would really like to know what the actual AUW will be. If it does turn out to be 60 ounces it would be amazing!
Big Browns is offline Find More Posts by Big Browns
Old Jun 16, 2011, 08:19 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined Aug 2004
144 Posts
MAXA's will be avaiable later this summer. It's too soon for an exact ETA as prototype testing continues. The 60 oz non ballasted flying weight is an achieveable goal. MAXA will have ballast capeability of ~ 25 oz.

Barry
Old Jun 22, 2011, 04:39 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Aug 2004
144 Posts
Randy,

Good eyes. We were testing a smaller stab on the 3.9 Meter wings.

Barry
Old Jun 23, 2011, 01:22 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2003
830 Posts
Oh no Barry, haven't you read the almost 300 pages in the Xplorer thread about how the large stab size is so incredibly important. You cant be serious trying to use a smaller stab. It'll never work, everyone knows large stabs are 3.275% more effective ;-)
lesterpk is online now Find More Posts by lesterpk
Old Jun 23, 2011, 02:09 AM
United States, CA, Vista
Joined Jan 2008
586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterpk View Post
Oh no Barry, haven't you read the almost 300 pages in the Xplorer thread about how the large stab size is so incredibly important. You cant be serious trying to use a smaller stab. It'll never work, everyone knows large stabs are 3.275% more effective ;-)
Now THATS funny!
danfitz is offline Find More Posts by danfitz