HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: What is your current AP/AV multikopter layout re CG
Battery below frame, camera below battery, CG (5-)10cm below prop plane 2 28.57%
Camera below frame, battery below frame behind camera, CG 5(-10)cm below prop plane 3 42.86%
Camera below frame, battery on frame, CG 0-5cm below prop plane 0 0%
Battery below frame, camera on top of electronics bay, CG approx at prop plane 0 0%
Camera below frame, battery on top of electronics bay, CG at or above prop plane 0 0%
Other 2 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 20, 2010, 03:05 PM
Hoofddorp, Netherlands
Joined Sep 2004
3,917 Posts
Poll
Multikopter CG above, at or below propellor plane

I am wondering how most AP / AV multikopters are currently layed out with respect to their CG. I started with the battery below the frame and the camera below that (CG would be centrallized and about 10-15cm below the propellor plane that way), then moved to the battery on the frame, with the camera below the frame (CG would probbably be just 5cm below the prop plane that way), and have also had various configurations with the battery below the frame behind the camera (CG 5-10cm below the propellor plane and more fore-aft spread of unequal weight which might impact on balance at certain pitch angles). I have also seen some people have the battery below the frame and the camera above the electronics bay (CG would be 0-5cm below propellor plane) or with the battery above the electronics bay and the camera below the frame (CG would probably be 0 to 5 cm at or above the propellor plane). I am now moving back to the vertical stack electronics bay - frame - battery - camera (lowest CG) as this seemed to be the most stable configuration I had.
Arthur P. is offline Find More Posts by Arthur P.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2010, 06:01 PM
United Kingdom, England, Weston-super-Mare
Joined Jul 2010
475 Posts
I wish I'd paid more attention in physics classes at school! My thinking is that it's not the prop plane that's important, but rather the plane of the arms. The arms are applying "leverage" to the aircraft, right? Or wrong? Is there any difference between under-mounted motors (facing downwards) and top-mounted (facing upwards) in terms of response of the aircraft to thrust from the motors?
jes1111 is offline Find More Posts by jes1111
Old Aug 25, 2010, 10:26 AM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2001
4,024 Posts
cg above the props will couse it to be a unstable ballance.
The cg below makes the craft more stable but slower to react on controll forces.
cmulder is offline Find More Posts by cmulder
Old Aug 29, 2010, 02:20 AM
Hoofddorp, Netherlands
Joined Sep 2004
3,917 Posts
Here-s a post with an interesting article on the effect of vertical position of CG on stability: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=59. In theory CG a bit below center of the prop plane would be more resistant to control movement, wanting to stabilize, while a CG a bit above the center of the prop plane would be more resistant to wind induced movement.
Arthur P. is offline Find More Posts by Arthur P.