HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 13, 2014, 03:07 PM
Joined Sep 2008
423 Posts
Maidened my Extra yesterday. It was bittersweet since this is my second 78" Extra. The first one lasted a mere 4 flights before meeting its end. It was replaced by a Pilot RC Sbach which never flew right. The Sbach was replaced by a new 78" Extra, which is what I should have done instead of buying the Sbach. What an amazing plane! A friend of mine has a laser cutter and I'm tempted to have him make me stabs & elevator with more beveling so I can get EXP throws out of it. Anybody else made EXP stabs for this thing?
DonEmmel is online now Find More Posts by DonEmmel
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2014, 03:27 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
5,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brashair View Post
Wow. Can you work those numbers with a 20x10? I'll probably bump up the battery capacity to 5000mah.
If you have not bought batteries yet, there are a lot of other options for more power. We have been discussing the 12S 3300mAh options for 74 and 78 Extreme Flight planes on the Extreme Flight Power thread for a while now. Personally, I'd go for a 188Kv 21x10 or a 206Kv with a 21x8 or 20x10 on a much more efficient 12S setup. We're getting 3000-plus Watts on under 70A with 12S, and we're using the same 6S 3300 batteries we use on the 60-class EXPs.

So only one battery size needed for all three plane sizes.

A 282Kv on 8S with the 20x10 is going to produce about the same output as the same motor and volts with the 21x8, with the added pitch using a little more current, and develop a few more Watts. The real difference will be on the top end speed with the 10 pitch being better. You may lose a bit in throttle response, but I'd have to fly both to come to any conclusion.
Aeroplayin is online now Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 13, 2014, 03:51 PM
Joined Sep 2008
423 Posts
Does anyone actually remove their stabs for transportation? I just bought a new 2014 WRX and the 78" Extra fits....barely. It would be easier if I could remove the stabs but the control arms are a pain!
Old Apr 13, 2014, 04:11 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonEmmel View Post
Does anyone actually remove their stabs for transportation? I just bought a new 2014 WRX and the 78" Extra fits....barely. It would be easier if I could remove the stabs but the control arms are a pain!
I only removed mine for long drives or when I wanted to squeeze a few extra airframes in the car. It was definitely easier to avoid hangar rash with the stabs off but I was too lazy to remove them every time.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Apr 13, 2014, 04:44 PM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
876 Posts
Quote:
I have an Outback so no. I can put the 78, 2 60" and a couple small edfs and TH foamies in there. When (yea when) the 9x gets in the mix it may be another story. I might be doing some assembling!
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
Old Apr 13, 2014, 05:18 PM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,011 Posts
Quote:
I have an 09 WRX wagon, and I can fit a 50cc bird fairly easy. Passenger seat all the way forward, seat back reclined all the way and plane in diagonally with tail towards the windshield. Fits easy. An 89" Slick fits, though just barely, and that's about the biggest 50cc bird I've yet seen. Taller and longer than most others. I had an EF 88" extra, and it fit much easier than the Slick. Currently have a 3dhs 87" Extra, and it fits very well too. But overall I like the 78" Extra size as they are easier than the 50cc birds to fit in. Don't have to set the driver seatback in just the right place for loading it like I do the 50cc birds.
ryan_m is offline Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Apr 13, 2014, 07:43 PM
Joined Sep 2008
423 Posts
I was actually surprised how well the 78" Extra fit...though at an angle. My preference is to not have to put it in diagonally. Makes it easier to fit in other planes w/o worrying about damaging them in transit.

Also, the WRX is a blast!
Old Apr 13, 2014, 08:05 PM
This is NOT a TOY?
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Jul 2011
2,200 Posts
Quote:
A friend of mine has a laser cutter and I'm tempted to have him make me stabs & elevator with more beveling so I can get EXP throws out of it. Anybody else made EXP stabs for this thing?
No, but I have considered doing similar to my unbuilt one. Still undecided, and I'm in no hurry to get it going.
I had thought of just making the bevel sharper on the stabs themselves, so I only had two pieces to patch covering on, instead of 4.

It's a very sweet plane, exactly as it sits, though. Congrats on the maiden of your #2 one!
C_Watkins is online now Find More Posts by C_Watkins
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by C_Watkins; Apr 13, 2014 at 08:13 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 06:57 AM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,011 Posts
Quote:
Also, the WRX is a blast!
It's even more fun if you flash the ECU and get more power out of it. I bought the ECU flash device and cable, and stuck a fuel/air map from torquedperformance.com on it. I'm now making around 300 hp on mine. Nice little bump up from the 260 stock hp. Their site used to show the dyno charts showing the difference from stock. I bet he would have those graphs if you are interested... I have the programmer and cable I would make you a deal on if you want to do it yourself. They are sort of a one time use thing... I flashed mine two years back and haven't messed with it since.
ryan_m is offline Find More Posts by ryan_m