New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2014, 02:51 PM
Find More Posts by cooke86
Joined Mar 2013
81 Posts
Discussion
micro Cloverleaf antenna

Hello all,

Ive got a micro fpv setup that im working on and seting up but one thing that bugs me is that the 5.8ghz antenna is so big.

Would you think it would be possible to make the cloverleaf exactly half the size that it shoud be? would that work?

Or are their any other options for micro antennas?

Thanks
cooke86 is offline Find More Posts by cooke86
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2014, 02:53 PM
Joined Mar 2013
81 Posts
also i dont need alot of range 200-300 meters is fine, but want to stay with a circular polarized antenna.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 05:52 PM
Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
11,052 Posts
You cannot reduce the size of a cloverleaf antenna. Anyone who says they can is lying to you. It has to do with the way the signal is transmitted. If the poles aren't in the proper location, the signal will not rotate properly.

I see a lot of people who prey on others who don't understand the physics of antenna systems all the time since it is not easy to understand. I know what you mean about CP antennas being large. Sadly, as I am designing even higher performance antennas now, they're actually getting bigger!

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2014, 06:26 AM
Find More Posts by renatoa
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
17,324 Posts
Even 5.8G is big for you ?
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Dec 27, 2014, 01:19 PM
Joined Mar 2013
81 Posts
Ok thanks Alex for your reply, do you think it would be ok to use thin wire. I mean like 0.6mm or similar would that have any bad effects on the performance?

The projuect im working on is a quadcopter about the size of the little husban x4, (I know they make a fpv version but DIY is fun)

I know the 5,8ghz antennas are already quite small but if i can get any smaller or lighter it would be better. Ill be honest and say that I dont know enough about how they work to design my own, and if you say that its not possible then I trust that to be true.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 09:23 PM
Find More Posts by Hugeone
Canada,Quebec
Joined Jan 2005
2,152 Posts
A quarter wave at 5.8GHz is approx 1/2", unless you can change the speed of light, there's not much you can do. Sure, radio waves speed is altered when traveling in denser material, but that don't save weight., quite the opposite.

The nano-clover-leaf is designed to cut as much weight as possible: U.fl connector, micro coax cable, thinner wire and teflon bushing.
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=2578

Out of stock, but don't worry, plenty more on the way.

-Hugo
TrueRC Canada
Hugeone is offline Find More Posts by Hugeone
Old Dec 29, 2014, 10:08 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
11,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooke86 View Post
Ok thanks Alex for your reply, do you think it would be ok to use thin wire. I mean like 0.6mm or similar would that have any bad effects on the performance?

The projuect im working on is a quadcopter about the size of the little husban x4, (I know they make a fpv version but DIY is fun)

I know the 5,8ghz antennas are already quite small but if i can get any smaller or lighter it would be better. Ill be honest and say that I dont know enough about how they work to design my own, and if you say that its not possible then I trust that to be true.
.6mm is fine If you want a really light cable, try RG178

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2015, 10:14 AM
Find More Posts by snoopy
Microbursts hurt.
United States, MD, Mt Airy
Joined Jun 2005
228 Posts
I've been similarly interested cooke, as I end up spending at least half my RC flying time doing the micro FPV stuff. It's great to hear from the vendors on these questions.

Those 5.8's with UFL connectors have been out of stock since at least October (I back-ordered Nov 11th from RMRC just to make sure I got some next shipment, so hope those new shipments are soon). I found another vendor that had some micro cloverleafs in stock for DIY as an option:

http://www.fpvhobby.com/231-8-ghz-mi...-antenna-.html
snoopy is offline Find More Posts by snoopy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2015, 09:54 AM
Find More Posts by jseeker101
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Feb 2008
396 Posts
I am just getting in to FPV. I swore I read somewhere here that you can use a Vee for 5.8 as well. I would like it to be as light as I can since I mainly fly UM stuff. The clover leaf are all very beefy (heavy). My quick search seems to point to 1.3 for the Vee...
jseeker101 is offline Find More Posts by jseeker101
Old Jan 07, 2015, 10:21 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
11,052 Posts
I don't make a Vee for 5.8GHz as circular polarization on 5.8GHz is nearly universal now. When I first started in FPV nobody flew 5.8GHz due to terrible video. CP fixed that and it is now the most popular band in the World.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 08:06 PM
Find More Posts by JonnyJ
United States, CA, Santa Monica
Joined Feb 2006
443 Posts
Any recommendation on a thin wire I can order? I've got 3 u.fl pigtails and i'd rather try making my own CP's than drop $30 plus shipping on a pre made one that will get smashed up in short order...
JonnyJ is offline Find More Posts by JonnyJ
Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM
Find More Posts by quadhunter
United States, PA, Lititz
Joined Apr 2015
146 Posts
Site member Pereth has had great luck with a small clover leaf. I'm pretty sure about this only because I bought one! Today, went around a 2 story 1200 Squ ft. concrete block building with out losing signal. That was using his nano clover leaf, cam, and Tx setup.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2431999
quadhunter is offline Find More Posts by quadhunter