SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 07, 2014, 10:34 PM
Find More Posts by WR_Rider
Joined Jun 2014
353 Posts
Build Log
BJ Craft Nuance 70 un boxing and weights.and build

All I can say is wow x10! This this thing is beautiful. The looks of the quality is spectacular to say the least. I've reached a whole new level of model building. Initial thought is without flying this plane is so far worth ever penny spent.

I won't post all my photos but I'm including weights thru out this thread. If I start building this soon ill make this a build thread as well.

The wood nix this plane came it. Solid but light.

All the padding and all secure. The fuse has a wing tube through the box securing the fuse in place.

The paint and glass work seems flawless so far.the colors are very vibrant and smooth. Very light feeling when holding it. Feels like you could easily crush this with your hands.

I have a certified force gage I'm using to weigh the parts

The fuse weighs in at 25.2 oz and 710 grams

The wing is as nice as the fuse. No signs of wrinkles or edges in the covering. So far all looks straight as well.

Weighing the wing. Both are 6.8oz or 188 grams

On of the full flying stabs.

Both elevators come in at 1.5 oz. or 48grams

To be continued...
WR_Rider is online now Find More Posts by WR_Rider
Last edited by WR_Rider; Aug 08, 2014 at 11:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2014, 10:44 PM
Joined Jun 2014
353 Posts
All the included parts. And no, there are no instructions to be had. I did however find them on the web and have downloaded them.

The rudder weighs in at 1.2 oz

The wing tube and parts for the wing mount. 1.7oz

The landing gear appear to be some type of layered composite. The weigh 2.5oz or 72 grams.

Inside the fuse. Clean!

The canopy with installed latch.

The lower pan with the latching pins installed.

Last edited by WR_Rider; Aug 07, 2014 at 11:00 PM.
Old Aug 08, 2014, 11:48 PM
Joined Jun 2014
353 Posts
I could resist so I started on my nuance tonight. I started out to see what size servos would fit.

The 2 openings for the rudder and elevator servo's are basically
50mm L x 18mm W x 27mm D

These are before you install the wood mounting blocks. The blocks are 8mm wide. This should leave ~34mm long for the servos.

The wing openings are 59mm L x 20mm W x 33 mm D

The wing servos have a cradle that gets glued in and those opening is ~ 33mm L x 15mm W

So the end result is the plane is designed around 4 servos 33mm L x 15mm W. But there is a little extra room to be had.

The instructions show the servos installed were the JR DS-3401.

I built up the main landing gear tonight. The instructions show a block of plywood containing circular spacers for the axles. However I only found 4. I ended up using a few small washers as well to center the wheels.

Next I built up the tail wheel. I installed a wheel color I had under the mounting bracket. I wanted to keep the assembly straight so there isn't any possibility of binding.

Next I drilled a pilot hole and the a hole to mount the plastic spacer they include.

Then I screwed in the plastic spacer the cut the head off. Then I used my x-acto knife to finish screwing the spacer in.

Then I mounted the tail wheel. I used a couple small washers under the clip to square it up so there isn't any binding. The upper collar pressed on the plastics sleeve so the washers helped.

Finding the hinge cut outs in the rudder as well as the fuse. So here are a couple photos that might help others locate the slots.

Old Aug 09, 2014, 10:54 PM
Joined Jun 2014
353 Posts
Day 2.
Glued the rudder and ailerons today. The kit came with the usual ca hinges. I opted out of using them. I hate ca hinges. The glue ok and are easy to install, but I find that they can be stiffer to bend.

I used standard size Dubro pinned hinges. I use the Elmer's version of gorilla glue to install them. I use a small pointed tip syringe to inject the glue in the slots. I used this process on my last plane and after it's demise I tore into the wing and this glue works well. It will expand up around the hinge and create a "pin" on the backside.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 07:18 AM
Find More Posts by andy77.kim
South Korea, Seoul
Joined Aug 2014
17 Posts
Build Nuance70 and first flight

Hi WR_Rider.
This is andy kim from south Korea.
I'd like to sharing build a brand new Nuance70.
One of my Korean friend who completed this beautiful plane.
It would be good for everyone.

In the first place,
Motor mount changed as carbon fiber option that configurated as frent and back type in cowl.
Also, it would be help to reliability.

Secondly,
An air flow guide effect was fastastic when i sensing by my hands.
The temperature was under about 40 deg.
Strongly recommand to someone who going to preparing cooling for motor.

Lastly, total net weight is about 2.2Kg that is not to problem when windy day fiying and virtical menuvers.
I'm going to upload flight video on this thread but i don't how to do.
Pls, let me know.

Thanks,
Andy
andy77.kim is offline Find More Posts by andy77.kim
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:22 AM
Joined Jun 2014
353 Posts
I like that rear motor mount. Was that custom made?
Old Aug 10, 2014, 03:38 PM
South Korea, Seoul
Joined Aug 2014
17 Posts
Motor mount

That's right~
It's custom made one of my friend who an expert this kind of job.
It's not a rear mount image.
Pls, take a look what i attached image.
Last edited by andy77.kim; Aug 10, 2014 at 03:54 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 04:44 PM
Joined Jun 2014
353 Posts
Nice, thanks for sharing. I do like that rear support bracket. I'll have to try to make one.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 04:48 PM
Joined Jun 2014
353 Posts
I order servos last night . I'm going to try some Savox SV-1250mg high voltage mini servos.
They seem to have some decent specs for the price.

Classification Mini
Voltage range 6.0V...7.4V
High voltage yes
Motor Coreless
Gear Metal
Housing Partially metal
Regulating time 60 @ 6V 0.11s
Regulating time 60 @ 7.4V 0.095s
Pulling load @ 6V (kg) 4.6kg
Pulling load @ 7.4V (kg) 8.0kg
# ball bearings 2
# cogs downforce pinion 25
Dimensions 1.38 x 0.59 x 1.15in
Weight 1.04oz
Old Aug 10, 2014, 05:32 PM
Joined Jun 2014
353 Posts
Andy, my kit isn't exactly like the instructions show on the web site. I do not have the large template that locates the aileron control horns. I'm not feeling any indication in the covering that would suggest that there is any cutout in the wood. Is it possible to ask your friend if he found a hole in the ailerons for the horns or did he have to cut one. Also if posse can you get a measurement from the inside edge of the ailerons to the horn please.

I could just cut a slot for the control horn but I don't really want to if there is already one.

Thanks
Old Aug 10, 2014, 07:57 PM
South Korea, Seoul
Joined Aug 2014
17 Posts
Horn location

U can say that again.
A little bit not clear on BJ manual images.
A few minute ago, I have phone call to my friend who willing to sharing
what Ur asking.
I'm going to upload as images ASAP.

Thanks,
Andy
Old Aug 10, 2014, 10:47 PM
Joined Jun 2014
353 Posts
Hi

This is the distance I wanted to find. I was also curious if the slot for his control horn was already cut out of the wood under the covering or not.

As you can can see the supplied template is different from the one in the instructions.

Thanks
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:12 PM
Joined Jun 2014
353 Posts
Day 3
I started on the elevator today. The instruction shows a spacer of some kind. I'm assuming it was a wood ring. I could not find any such spacer so I made some myself. I used some helicopter main blade spacers and drilled out the center hole to fit over the pivot tube. I used 2 on each side and that gave me just about 1/16" of end play of the elevator side to side.

Here you can just see the spacers between the fuse and stab.

In the instructions it seems they are using 1 screw to hold the stab in place. This would imply that the other side of the stab tube is glued in. I for now passed on the gluing and just used a screw on both stabs.

I did not know this but the stab has anhedral in it.

This is the thing I like about real hinges in stead of ca hinges. There is no drag on the control surfaces.

I also went to install the wing securing bolts. The instructions show a blind nut and a bolt with what appears to be fuel line tubing over it. The kit came with 2ea 4mm thumb screws but now blind nuts. The blind nut goes into the wings and while the hole is drilled it appears to only be balsa behind the wing rib. I'm going to epoxy some plywood into the wing as soon as I get some 4mm blind nuts.

Seems like the downside to this kit is going to be the lake of current instructions as well as hardware.

Overall quality of the plane is still high though, well for now anyways.
Last edited by WR_Rider; Aug 11, 2014 at 12:18 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 06:45 AM
ltc
Find More Posts by ltc
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
3,512 Posts
I'd be curious to see what the incidence and thrust angles are on this plane when you measure them.

It looks like they made some last minute changes to the paint scheme as well; different from what was shown on the rcone.kr BJCraft website.
Should provide good visibility in the air
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 11, 2014, 09:37 AM
Joined Jun 2014
353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltc View Post
I'd be curious to see what the incidence and thrust angles are on this plane when you measure them.

It looks like they made some last minute changes to the paint scheme as well; different from what was shown on the rcone.kr BJCraft website.
Should provide good visibility in the air

I was wondering about that as well. Since they are showing the spinner back plate spaced evenly to the fuse I guess it could go either way. No motor thrust, or the end of fuse has a slight angle to it to give you a thrust angle. I will try to measure before I glue the mount in.