HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 13, 2003, 06:04 PM
Alexandria, MN
Joined Oct 2002
209 Posts
New action packed Tiger Moth flight video!

The title says it all. Download it here: http://www.silentflightonline.com/Si...mages/1079.wmv

Regards,

Kyle Sands <>< Huntley, MN
SnoJetter is offline Find More Posts by SnoJetter
Last edited by SnoJetter; Mar 14, 2003 at 07:14 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2003, 09:50 PM
Silent Flight
Tucson, AZ USA
Joined Oct 2002
3,948 Posts
TM Video

Kyle:

Nice relaxing TM video! I hope those thinking about building a 'Moth find your film. It does a good job of displaying what the plane is all about.

daveWCO

PS- Putting Tiger Moth in any title around here will draw many, many viewers/respondents (lol!).
daveWCO is offline Find More Posts by daveWCO
Old Mar 13, 2003, 10:11 PM
Joined Aug 2002
30 Posts
Nice video and nice music! You are doing what we all want to do, Fly and have fun and bring a airplane home in one piece!
Thanks for the fun!
Gary
www.wallacewireworks.com
bearship-1 is offline Find More Posts by bearship-1
Old Mar 13, 2003, 10:38 PM
Tee Sqaured
Langley, B.C, Canada
Joined Jun 2001
4,548 Posts
Great vid and music!!!!

You fly that little moth REALY well! good job!

Thomas
Thomas Manson is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Manson
Old Mar 13, 2003, 10:46 PM
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Aug 2002
144 Posts
That ROCKS!!! Great TM footage of what a TM is all about. As a professional pilot, I can say the next best thing to flying full-size is flying my TM. You captured it well in your movie. Dude, I can see flying a TM on that road, but how did you fly your P-51 there - isn't there any car traffic?
LEROY is offline Find More Posts by LEROY
Old Mar 14, 2003, 07:21 AM
Alexandria, MN
Joined Oct 2002
209 Posts
Thanks for the kind words, guys!

You'd be surprised how slow that P-51 flies. I edited out quite a bit of the footage on the P-51 video, so you didn't see the 3 times I had to abort a landing cuz someone was on their way home from work. It's not an extremely busy road; so long as my battery doesn't die when a car come along - and then I can always ditch (pun intended) in the tall grass. I'm beginning to think this Moth is impossible to crash! (famous last words...) The flying season is almost here, so I hope to get a lot more footage and maybe put together some more of these.

(I'm gonna get a roll out of this Moth yet before she's done.)

Kyle
Last edited by SnoJetter; Mar 14, 2003 at 07:25 AM.
Old Mar 14, 2003, 11:57 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,554 Posts
Great video

SnoJetter:

Very nice video. Would be interested in knowing what software or video prep program you used to prepare this video. Great transitions/fades.

Also, where is Huntley, MN? I get up to Duluth, Grand Rapids, and International Falls 2-3 times per year on business.

Good luck with your moth.

RDS
South Carolina
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Mar 15, 2003, 12:26 AM
Silent Flight
Tucson, AZ USA
Joined Oct 2002
3,948 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SnoJetter

I'm beginning to think this Moth is impossible to crash! (famous last words...)
Kyle
Kyle:

That's what I thought until I tried a power dive/loop without added wing support (lol!). I must admit now, it was somewhat amusing watching the all the pieces fall to earth for what seemed like an hour.

DaveWCO
Old Mar 15, 2003, 12:34 AM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,554 Posts
Oooh, Ouch, Geeeeez

DaveWCO:

My condolences on the loss (temporary or otherwise) of your TM. I see from the photo you were using a dual motor arrangement. Could you provide me with the specifics on this motor? Also, what batteries did you use with this dual motor arrangement?

Mny Tnx

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 15, 2003, 12:36 AM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,554 Posts
DaveWCO:

Oops, forgot to ask: Do you think wing wires would have prevented this breakup of the wind structure? Your photo indicates a fair amount of strut modification. I am surprised to see the results of an inside loop!!

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 15, 2003, 01:06 AM
Silent Flight
Tucson, AZ USA
Joined Oct 2002
3,948 Posts
Motor/Carnage

Doug:

I glued the 'Moth back together in January and it's still doing fine! I've had no crashes since that bad day!

The setup was: ISPD A drive (5.9:1) with a 1020 lipoly pack (2 in series). Prop was a GWS 9x7. The wing struts were not beefed up. They were simply laser cut balsa pieces from Todd's Models.

Wing wires definitely would have prevented the carnage! I know this as a fact, as I'm still flying the exact setup as above, and still flying the same, but with flying wires (dental floss as recommended by Wayne). So far, so good!

I'm convinced that even with the stock ISP and struts the wings would have folded due to the magnitude of the dive and attempted pull out.

Live and learn (fun, fun)!

DaveWCO
Old Mar 15, 2003, 01:28 AM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2002
3,878 Posts
New Action Packed Flight Video!

SnoJetter,

I really liked the P-51 video. I really Really REALLY REALLY REALLY liked this one!

The music and edits were very crisp. Good visual story!

Super tag!!

There must be more to come!!

Wowed,

Roger
Rogerdoger is offline Find More Posts by Rogerdoger
Old Mar 15, 2003, 04:03 AM
MEDIC!!!!!!!
Near Fresno, California
Joined Sep 2002
1,741 Posts
The Tigermoth video was great and I really liked the music..

The title of the clip kept showing "Guillows P-51 Mustang R/C Conversion" and with Rogerdodger's post about the clip, I searched the Silentflightonline site and found it under Parkflyer images.....way cool http://www.silentflightonline.com/Si...mages/1073.wmv

but please try to rebend the lg before you hit that pole..

I'm almost finished with my Guillow's Spitfire conversion..Thanks
roguewolf is offline Find More Posts by roguewolf
Last edited by sierra aardvark; Mar 15, 2003 at 05:14 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2003, 09:00 AM
Alexandria, MN
Joined Oct 2002
209 Posts
Doug, I use Pinnacle Studio 8 for my videos. It's a great package that is VERY easy to use. Huntley is located in extreme southern Minnesota about halway between the SD and WI boarders - it's just north of I-90 a few miles. You probably take I-94 on your way up to northern MN, but if you were to take I-35, you'd be about 45 minutes from my home when you crossed I-90.

DaveWCO, I've had my wings fold twice on me - both were during a hand launch when I threw the plane rather than toss it. I have no wing reinforcement other than the stock cabanes. I suppose one of these days I may end the day picking up the pieces after a failed loop...

Roger, I plan to do more videos as soon as I can get more footage. Unfortuantely March is known as our windiest month. It ain't howling outside, but there's enough of a breeze to keep me grounded.

Sierra, I noticed that too when I made the video, however I was having some problems with my computer hanging up while rendering the video. When I succeeded in getting it saved, I decided to cut my losses and just leave it like it was. I'd love to rebend the gear, but it is mounted rather weekly on a vinyl spar in the wing. It really needs to be "bent" torsionally and I've already cracked the spar once - the poles aren't as close as they look, so ugly take-off or no, I think I need to leave the gear along...or cut it off altogether.

Regards,

Kyle Sands <>< Huntley,MN
Old Mar 15, 2003, 05:57 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,554 Posts
Pinncle Studio Software

SnoJetter:

Thanks for the tip on Pinnacle Studio. I have Studio 7 as part of the bundled software on this new computer. Guess I will have to look for the upgrade to Studio 8. I have yet to use the program as I do not have a video camera. Am I correct in assuming you can download the images from a video camera tape (via USB or Firewire) and then process/manipulate the images on the computer via Studio 7/8? I am hoping to do this when I manage to get a digital video camera. Would be nice to simply download the tape and then prepare a short video as you have done.

Once again, nice going with both the TM and the P-51. Nice runway, courtest of MN DOT?

RD
RCG Plus Member