SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 10, 2003, 05:46 PM
Alexandria, MN
Joined Oct 2002
209 Posts
Guillows P-51 conversion flight video!

I've uploaded a 4-minute or so video of my Guillows R/C conversion to silentflightonline.com if anyone is interested in checking it out. The downside is it's about 10Mb, but it looked - and sounded - terrible when I tried it with smaller file sizes.

http://www.silentflightonline.com/Si...mages/1073.wmv

Enjoy,

Kyle Sands <>< Huntley, MN
SnoJetter is offline Find More Posts by SnoJetter
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2003, 06:18 PM
Freak Member
Seminole, FL
Joined Nov 2002
414 Posts
Nice dude, very nice! Love the video, and the captions were great. Any close ups of the plane? Post em!

Good work,
Scott
Aldur is offline Find More Posts by Aldur
Old Mar 10, 2003, 06:38 PM
Manhattan, Kansas, United States
Joined Oct 2001
3,503 Posts
Neato!!!

Very cool Kyle!

I think the video was pretty darn good, so be sure to give your video person some praise... I hope my Herr conversion flies as good as your Guillows conversion. In those flights, what battery pack are you using? It doesn't appear to have any bad stall characteristics... Did you build some wash out into the wing? I can't remember if you said you did or not. I'm about done with all the little stuff on my P-51 so hopefully I can finish it up by the weekend. We're supposed to finally get some good weather here in Kansas, hope its not too windy!

-Mike
KSU Flyer is offline Find More Posts by KSU Flyer
Old Mar 10, 2003, 06:55 PM
wild in the park?
McDonough, GA
Joined Mar 2003
1,614 Posts
DSL rocks!
Don't worry about the bandwidth, the video is excellent. The bigger the better.
wherndon is offline Find More Posts by wherndon
Old Mar 10, 2003, 07:09 PM
Alexandria, MN
Joined Oct 2002
209 Posts
Thanks folks, my Dad happens to be a professional photographer so when it comes to "getting the right shot" he's got a good eye for what looks good and what looks better.

Aldur, I posted a thread about a week ago that detailed the building process of this plane. Just do a search for "Guillows P-51" and it should be easy to find.

Wherndon, I gotta agree with you. But I can sympathize with the dial-up folks. That's what I have here at home. I had to upload at work and I know they aren't too keen on folks being on-line when there's work to do.

KSUFlyer, you'll notice my one landing where I just about had it down when it ended up landing on it's nose...the left wing wing (pilot's left) dropped, and I think that was a tip stall. (You'll also notice I had the nose high almost the entire approach and was just begging for a stall, which it resisted to the very end.) I've also noticed it drop a wing once or twice when attempting a loop - it won't loop. That little "hammer head" maneuver in the video is the result of an attempted loop (I think it needs more elevator surface). It just stalls too quickly and it looks to me like the stall starts at the tips at times. I do have 1/4" of washout in each wing and I think the plane behaves very well as a result. It's never given me any trouble at low speeds, low altitude or during landing. Battery power has been the 1020 Kokam 2-cell pack. I've had 20 minute flights at pretty much full throttle and still plenty of juice left when I land. Great power source!

Kyle
Old Mar 10, 2003, 08:09 PM
wild in the park?
McDonough, GA
Joined Mar 2003
1,614 Posts
Yes, i had dialup once, it was sorta like rubbibg two sticks together to start a fire...
The video was great though, I say "good things come to those what wait" 'specially with dialup.
I'm a newbie to RC.
Hopefully I can move up to a plane like yours. That's what makes the vid so good. Makes my mouth water...
Here's a pic of my first endevour.
Hopefully I'll get to fly, or burn, this weekend.
wherndon is offline Find More Posts by wherndon
Old Mar 10, 2003, 09:08 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2002
3,878 Posts

Kyle,

Outstanding work!! The video is so nice to watch. Your dad did a great job with the camera. I saved the video so I can have it with the other pics. I really liked the music. What is that?

I loved the approaches. About like mine when I have not been flying for a while. (Like tonight!) I did a touch and go with the SB that almost smoked the tires. The dirt road was forgiving though.

Nice work on both the P-51 and the Video!

Roger

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

wherndon,

It looks like you are in for some great fun with the Cub. I have heard good things about it.

Have Fun,

Roger
Rogerdoger is offline Find More Posts by Rogerdoger
Old Mar 10, 2003, 09:10 PM
Departing at 'O' dark 30
Sudbury, Ont. Canada
Joined Feb 2002
1,253 Posts
snojetter

wondering if you tried the 8x6 on it?

Cass
Cass is offline Find More Posts by Cass
Old Mar 11, 2003, 06:27 AM
Alexandria, MN
Joined Oct 2002
209 Posts
Wherndon, you may not believe this, but that P-51 is my third plane since I started flying in last August. Switchback was number 2, and I've barely flown it since the winter weather settled in. In reality, this P-51 is a second plane for me. It's a wonder I haven't smashed it up yet.

Cass, I have the props and even a new motor to try out with this plane. However, since the weather has turned again, I gutted the P-51 so I could fit the radio gear in my Sterling Sukhoi conversion. I've got some more stuff on order, so I can put the Mustang back together and get some flying in again when it warms up.

Roger, the music came from the "Last of the Mohicans" soundtrack. I used to study while listening to that back in school. Worked for me!

Kyle
Old Mar 11, 2003, 11:57 AM
Joined Apr 2002
3,878 Posts

Kyle,

Thanks for the name of the music. That is good stuff!!

That is a very good studying plan. I did and do use music to help adjust my keeping at a task, or relaxing.

I hope you get the gear back in the 51 and flying soon! That is a great project.

I showed Sarah the video last night and she was really impressed. We both cheered when you checked over the plane and then hand launched it.

Keep up the great work,

Roger
Old Mar 11, 2003, 01:25 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
Nice plane and video work. Thank you. Much better than watching 'em crash!
Looks like it could use a steerable tail wheel and retracts.
Grejen is offline Find More Posts by Grejen
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Learn the ICAO alphabet anyone?
Old Mar 11, 2003, 01:29 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
She looks like a surprisingly docile flyer! I'm impressed. Thanks for the video

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Mar 11, 2003, 01:48 PM
Joined Feb 2003
52 Posts
Nervous Wreck

I was a nervous wreck while watching your GREAT video! Every scene seemed to show a telephone pole, road sign, tree, or wire, all waiting to smash your beautiful plane. Please ---- find a less nerve-wracking place to fly the next time you make a video for us to enjoy!
Donald36 is offline Find More Posts by Donald36
Old Mar 11, 2003, 02:30 PM
Joined Apr 2002
3,878 Posts
Home Field

Donald 36,

You have to remember that Kyle is flying on his home field. He knows just where he is at all times. I would be worried flying there, but he has flown there all the time.

Take Care,

Roger
Old Mar 11, 2003, 03:43 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,946 Posts
Excellent Kyle!
One of my favorite planes with one of my favorite movie sound tracks....Gotta love those 51's here's a pic of my 27" FG Depron
P-51 and F-86.
Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr