HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2002, 08:32 AM
Gladstone, NJ. USA
Joined May 2000
408 Posts
Transfer of plan lines to balsa...help!

Hi Guys:
Just wondering if anyone has come up with a new clever idea for transfering plan lines out put from an inkjet printer to balsa...other than the following procedures a. Carbon Paper b. Copy plans to Xerox type copier and use hot iron to transfer (always some induced error in scale!) c. cut out pattern and apply with temory adhesive, cutting around the req'd outlines.
d. Some process using acetone or some other solvent, but i'm not sure.
Help!
Sincerely,
Jon B. Shereshaw
JonB is offline Find More Posts by JonB
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2002, 08:42 AM
Super Senior Member
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Feb 2000
3,396 Posts
You named all the methods. Unless you have an inkjet printer that can print onto balsa, give one of the methods a shot.

Greg
Slope Nut is offline Find More Posts by Slope Nut
Old Nov 24, 2002, 10:39 AM
When the time is right
Hayward, CA
Joined Apr 2001
1,637 Posts
I avoid the printer completely, take the file and work it through a cad program so it's .dwf , .dxf . Then arrange the parts on a 4"x24" area and send it off to a laser cutting operation.

Perfect little parts arrive at your door via the post office.

Earl
Duke58 is offline Find More Posts by Duke58
Old Nov 24, 2002, 08:16 PM
Gladstone, NJ. USA
Joined May 2000
408 Posts
Dear Duke58:
Can you recomend a laser cutter here in the EAST, or, if not...just your fav.
Sincerely,
Jon B. Shereshaw
JonB is offline Find More Posts by JonB
Old Nov 24, 2002, 10:54 PM
When the time is right
Hayward, CA
Joined Apr 2001
1,637 Posts
Jon , I used Mountain Models, they are in Colorado and I think if you search around you may find someone on the East Coast. With the shipping business these days though you can probably get the parts from Colorado as fast as from there. I don't have all the info here(I'm at home on the ole Lady's computer) but a Google search should turn up whatever you need. I suggest that you email Mountain Models and find out how he wants the file , the more that you do to prepair it the less it will cost and the sooner you will get your parts.

Earl
Duke58 is offline Find More Posts by Duke58
Old Nov 25, 2002, 09:14 AM
Brampton
Joined Sep 2001
1,439 Posts
Jon
I used a Stika cutting machine to do my parts for
the PBY.

The Machine is a Great investment and fun too.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...606#post587606
PanzyPoof is offline Find More Posts by PanzyPoof
Old Nov 26, 2002, 10:15 AM
Chandler, Arizona
Joined Jan 2002
226 Posts
Here is an easy method I use all the time.

Photocopy or laser print your parts on regular sheets of paper. Then cut out the parts leaving at least 1/2" white space around the parts. Tape the parts onto balsa around the edges print side down using painters tape. Put some acetone on the back side of the paper with a small brush. Work in small areas at a time and use pleanty it dries fast. Use a wood or rubber roller on the wet paper to transfer the toner ink from the paper to the balsa. You may have to apply more acetone and roll again. Remove the paper and behold, a perfectly transfered part on the balsa.
azflyer is offline Find More Posts by azflyer
Old Nov 27, 2002, 01:05 PM
s.d.,ca
Joined Nov 2002
21 Posts
I can laser cut them,email me at"lazerplanes@hotmail.com"I'm in San Diego,but can ship anywhere.
lazerplanes is offline Find More Posts by lazerplanes
Old Nov 27, 2002, 03:25 PM
Chandler, Arizona
Joined Jan 2002
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lazerplanes
I can laser cut them,email me at"lazerplanes@hotmail.com"I'm in San Diego,but can ship anywhere.
How much do you charge for a typical speed 400 sized plane?
azflyer is offline Find More Posts by azflyer
Old Nov 30, 2002, 11:27 AM
W. Bloomfield, Mi
Joined Oct 2002
506 Posts
Jon
Check out www.seetemp.com They make a system for generating good quality templates.

Michael
msp1957 is offline Find More Posts by msp1957
Old Nov 30, 2002, 12:05 PM
s.d.,ca
Joined Nov 2002
21 Posts
lazerplanes

Anyone interested in getting laser cut parts,kits or anythig else,email me! lazerplanes@hotmail.com or call me/Chris Fox at Tsunami Laser (858)271-8100/cfox@tsunamilaser.com
thanks
lazerplanes is offline Find More Posts by lazerplanes
Old Dec 11, 2002, 12:27 PM
UT, USA
Joined Mar 2001
63 Posts
My method of choice now is to print onto the paper side of freezer paper (not wax paper, its paper with one side coated in some plastic) and then iron it onto the wood (plastic side down). Then cut out the part and peel off the freezer paper (comes off easily.

The stuff is cheap, irons on nicely (med-high heat), and comes off cleanly even on very light balsa.

You may need to trim the paper a bit to fit your printer as all I have found comes in about 24" wide rolls.

-eb
etbadger is offline Find More Posts by etbadger
Old Dec 13, 2002, 01:28 PM
Senior Member unum multum
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Dec 2001
355 Posts
Jon:

My locale Wal-Mart has some HP iron on transfer paper for use with an ink jet printer in the computer section. I havn't used any yet but plan to give it a whril in the near future. I am sure that some of the office supply places will carry it as well.
mudfarmer_mike is offline Find More Posts by mudfarmer_mike