HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2002, 01:11 AM
Mississippi,USA
Joined Sep 2002
53 Posts
AERC F-4 Phantom Building and flying thread!

Hi,
I would like to start a new thread about the building process and the flying of this model. I purchased this F-4 from www.officeshops.com.
Before purchasing this EDF I sent John the owner of AERC several emails with questions and concerns. He reply to all of them very fast. It is nice to see this type of support from the maker of a product. I will posting the building process the best I can knowing this is only my second EDF. John told me this EDF should hand launch very easy. The kit comes very well pack (almost over kill). I am still waiting on the two EDF that I got from ebay. The kit is well made, all the formers, elevators, rudder and canopy panel are laser cut. I just finished separating all the parts. Once I get the fan unit I will start to glue according to instructions. Here is a picture of the kit:
pilatus turbo is offline Find More Posts by pilatus turbo
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2002, 01:16 AM
Mississippi,USA
Joined Sep 2002
53 Posts
Another Picture of the kit

Here is another picture of the kit:
pilatus turbo is offline Find More Posts by pilatus turbo
Old Nov 17, 2002, 10:46 AM
Syracuse, NY
Joined Nov 2002
46 Posts
I am also interested in this jet and I am looking forward to your documented progress!
Bembo9 is offline Find More Posts by Bembo9
Old Nov 17, 2002, 11:35 AM
Always looking UP
Lilburn, Georgia, USA
Joined Nov 2000
2,361 Posts
Yeah me too?!<>^

hmmm......more pics!!!
FANMAN is offline Find More Posts by FANMAN
Old Nov 17, 2002, 06:25 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Sep 2000
153 Posts
Look forward to your reports
Steve_S is offline Find More Posts by Steve_S
Old Nov 18, 2002, 12:59 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,953 Posts
F-4 project

I just got mine today, great packaging and super clean cut parts.

Wood is of good quality, medium weight balsa to light weight and laser cut. Foam cores look very nicely cut, no burns no burrs - nice packaging prevented damage in shipping. Vac form parts are light but firm with no thin spots - a very nice job.

Plans are clear and nicely spaced to allow you working space, directions seem appropriate . . . 7 copied pages with pics to illustrate difficult areas.

A very nice kit so far . . . . will play tonight and post wherever I get to in the AM.

Phil
pval3 is offline Find More Posts by pval3
Old Nov 19, 2002, 04:25 PM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,507 Posts
Need more photos. I like the looks of it and the low cost nature of it too.

--Paul
Paul Susbauer is offline Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 19, 2002, 04:59 PM
Syracuse, NY
Joined Nov 2002
46 Posts
Check out these pics of the AERC Phantom (bottom of the page)

http://www.officeshops.com./aerc/index.htm
Bembo9 is offline Find More Posts by Bembo9
Old Nov 19, 2002, 05:42 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,953 Posts
awsome pics

Looks good, great pics!

The folks at AERC said it built quick - - your pics show that!

I got parts cut out and laid out similar to you but have not started building yet - got busy last two days working but got all my stuff organized last night after cutting out all the parts.

Here is my direction:

2 - GWS 50 fan units with std pitch 4 blade fan
1 - GWS Naro 4 ch reciever
2 - Cirrus CS-10BB sub micro servos
1 - GWS 100 5 Amp speed controller
1 - 8 cell maxcell 720 Milliamp AAA pack

Covereing of choice will be Hobby Lobby Lightspan covering in black - Im thinking of doing the "black Bunny" livery for something different.

I was looking at the material for the ducts and thought that something smoother would be in order but do not know if it is needed . . .going to contact AERC to see if it is.

I have purchased some overhead trasparency material that is thin and light and can be conformed similar to the paper included with the kit but with a glass smooth surface. . .

more to come.

Phil
pval3 is offline Find More Posts by pval3
Old Nov 19, 2002, 06:12 PM
Always looking UP
Lilburn, Georgia, USA
Joined Nov 2000
2,361 Posts
Re: awsome pics

Quote:
Originally posted by pval3
Looks good, great pics!

I have purchased some overhead trasparency material that is thin and light and can be conformed similar to the paper included with the kit but with a glass smooth surface. . .

more to come.

Phil
KEEP IN MIND that the heat gun will warp and curl plastics, as it will get HOT inside the fuse,so in less you are only using a sealing iron, I'd avoid plastics!

I wouldnt want the last thing that you do, be to warp up your plastic ducts
Old Nov 19, 2002, 06:20 PM
Http://www.aerc.biz
Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2002
953 Posts
For the F-4 shown in the picture no heat gun was used. It tended to burn through the RA MicroLite far to often. The main reason for the ducting used is to preserve weight although for the prototype I really added alot of weight with much thicker ducting and it flew fine. I think thin transperancy sheeting would work very well for the ducting but Glenn's right, if you plan to use a heat gun you won't be able to.

John
http://www.aerc.biz
drbird is offline Find More Posts by drbird
Old Nov 19, 2002, 06:39 PM
jah
BALD MEMBER
North Georgia
Joined Nov 2001
1,851 Posts
How about using photo paper, smooth side in for ducting?
Thats what I planned on using.
jah is offline Find More Posts by jah
Old Nov 19, 2002, 06:53 PM
Http://www.aerc.biz
Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2002
953 Posts
I never thought to use photo paper but thats another excellent idea! Is photo paper very heavy though? I always thought it was quite a bit heavier?

John
http://www.aerc.biz
drbird is offline Find More Posts by drbird
Old Nov 19, 2002, 07:12 PM
jah
BALD MEMBER
North Georgia
Joined Nov 2001
1,851 Posts
I weighed a sheet of HP 8X11 photo paper (premium glossy)
it weighed 12 grams

The entire piece you provide in the kit weighs 20 grams before cutting. I would guess that its gonna take 3 pieces of the 8X11 paper to replace the provided paper, so yes it will be heavier. When I build the kit I will weigh both after cutting them out and post the findings

Jerry
jah is offline Find More Posts by jah
Last edited by jah; Nov 19, 2002 at 07:14 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2002, 07:15 PM
Always looking UP
Lilburn, Georgia, USA
Joined Nov 2000
2,361 Posts
Opinion again

24# paper works great for ducting on EDF-50's!

Easy to tape together, easy to CA to fuse formers, paper likes CA, try adding a dab to 2 pieces. Its not gonna collapse if tacked to the formers, heat wont affect it, BE SURE to keep water and elmers away from it as well.......

Your photo paper will not stay together at the intermediate duct joining, its extremely heavy (when compared to 24# or slightly heavier bond)

Be it as you wish.........