Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 28, 2002, 10:50 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,232 Posts
I can't remember what the thing is called. I will swing by my local Walmart one of these next couple of days and let you know.
WickedFunRC is online now Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2002, 09:01 PM
gainesville FL
Joined Jan 2002
1,390 Posts
power airsurfer

hi i think the plane you guys are talking about is called the power airsurfer.

Its made by Hasbro and there is some info about it here:

http://www.hasbro.com/pl/page.airsurfer/dn/default.cfm

It seems to be related to a freeflight foamy glider called the airsurfer.(its like a powered biplane using two airsurfer glider wings...staggered a little..with no tail surfaces) the airsurfer info can be found here:

http://www.airsurferonline.com

The Power Airsurfer uses some sort of a differential motor system for left/right..and both motors on/off for up/down control.

I saw one fly, but the guy was a total novice to r/c so it was hard to tell what the thing was capable of.
guyaneze is offline Find More Posts by guyaneze
Old Sep 29, 2002, 09:02 PM
gainesville FL
Joined Jan 2002
1,390 Posts
more power airsurfer info...

its sold by k-mart,
toys-r-us and wal-mart...maybe others
guyaneze is offline Find More Posts by guyaneze
Old Sep 30, 2002, 12:38 AM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,232 Posts
Yep, thats the beast.. I would sure be interested to hear how they fly. That may make a nice christmas gift for my son.
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 30, 2002, 10:09 PM
morristown,nj,usa
Joined Sep 2002
83 Posts
air surfer

A lot like a SpinMaster Intruder.
30" (x2) wingspan. foam wings, fuse seems like fanfold material. No control surfaces. 7.2v 500?mah nimh battery & a timed charger. Turns with differential thrust.
3 button control - power, left, right.

It's not obvious how you would loop & roll except with very gusty winds or cutting & hinging something.
The web site cited can get to a FAQ where the question is asked: "How do I get it to do stunts?"
The answer is: "Practice, practice, practice."
Too flippant for me.

Children of experienced flyers may get bored quickly.
Definite possibility for conversion.
escapee is offline Find More Posts by escapee
Old Sep 30, 2002, 10:54 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,232 Posts
That's funny, they must have politicians answering their FAQ's.
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 04, 2002, 06:53 PM
Joined Sep 2001
136 Posts
The Bipe is the Hasbro r/C Air Surfer

It's also at Target, I believe and Toy r Us.

And now, the great news, if you have a (soon to be defunct) Ames Dscount Dept store nearyby, the toys are 40% off. Mine local one has a dozen Air Surfers going for $30! Also air Hogs and Intruder R/C planes!
lad3 is offline Find More Posts by lad3
Old Oct 05, 2002, 12:43 AM
Joined Jul 2002
1,532 Posts
I bought a AirSurfer by chance yesterday at Walmart. All I can say is they are a BLAST !!! I almost passed on it as well, I'm glad I didn't. It assembles in about 20 minutes and is very crash damage proof. I appears to be a well thought out r/c plane & kit. It has twin engines and is steered by intermittently cutting the power to either the left or right engine. It does wild spins when either engine is totally killed for a few seconds. It recovers very quickly when the power is turned back on.

It climbs in kind of rolling stall stair stepping upwards fashion. When the juice runs out it lands very nicely. I would say the range is more then the advertised 300 feet. It almost got away from me a few times.

To launch the plane you need a slight head wind and a down hill slope to get it going. From that point on it flys pretty nice, it's a true parkflyer. Not a barn burned by any means, but mucho fun. It begs of mods such as an eleveator. We've already run it with a hotter battery.

I'm sure some people will turn their nose up at it. But, it's a blast for a light hearted fun. It's even more fun if your buddy has one as well. For some reason the red one seemed to fly a little better than the blue one. I don't know if it's a fluke or what.

I'll try to post some flight pictures tommorrow.
Zoomzoom is offline Find More Posts by Zoomzoom
Old Oct 05, 2002, 12:48 PM
Oxymoron: Rap Music
Upstate NY
Joined Sep 2002
791 Posts
Put one on a slowstick and then drop it from a few hundred feet up now theres some fun

GForce
GForceStress is offline Find More Posts by GForceStress
Old Oct 05, 2002, 01:57 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,232 Posts
Zoomzoom,

I am glad to see someone got up the courage to give it a try, sounds like fun! Would you say that it is a good plane to learn on? My nine year old son is really interested in learning, I have let him try my planes a few times but they are all way to hot/aerobatic. What material are they made from? Do they have good power? I am at about 5000 ft altitude so some of the underpowered planes just do not fly here.

Thanks,

khen
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 05, 2002, 07:16 PM
Hong Kong, Kowloon, Hung Hom
Joined May 1999
115 Posts
I have spoken with the inventor of this toy and he has definitely put a lot of thought into them. It's an inherently stable design that will tend to prevent stalls and spins. I have one, and it's DURABLE. You can hand the controller to anyone, tell them what buttons do what, and they'll be doing figure-8's, spins, & the like in no time.

-Sean Frawley
ornitech is offline Find More Posts by ornitech
Old Oct 05, 2002, 11:03 PM
Joined Jul 2002
1,532 Posts
Khen.

Yes, I would say it's perfect for a 9 year old. The box says for ages 8 years old and up, hee hee. (I'm 44 years old) The transmitter has three very simple control buttons. They are prop power no/off, power on and off for left and right engines. If your son is into video games and such he'll love the Air Surfer......... you'll love it too.

I'm in Phonexi AZ at approx. 1100 elevation and roughly 85 degrees, mine flys fine. I'm willing to bet in the cooler weather at 5,000 feet it'll fly ok. It's not an over powered plane. Flying is about at slow run pace. It is a very well thought out r/c plane and can take some very hard landings. The AirSurfer looks weird, but you can see a lot of good ideas built into it. The rudder area acts as a carry handle. Also, it's almost IMPOSSIPLE to break a prop. I have crashed the snot of the thing even flying and landing it upside down and NO broken props.

I does beg for an elevator though. Sorry I didn't get a chance to take any pictures today. Too busy plucking it out of a tree and a someones backyard after it got away from me.
Old Oct 06, 2002, 02:11 AM
Box Elder, SD
Joined May 2002
1,473 Posts
Ya know I saw one of these tonite. I staired at it for about 5 minutes, finially picked the box up and read all about it. Then I came home thinking I would be one of the first to report my findings. haa haa I still don't know if I'll get one or not, but I'm sure thinking hard on it!

Crashin J
nr5a is offline Find More Posts by nr5a
Old Oct 06, 2002, 08:41 AM
morristown,nj,usa
Joined Sep 2002
83 Posts
loops & rolls?

Seems like there's already a bit of discussion on:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=58647

I can see how one can easily do spins & figure 8's but I'd like to see how you can loop it (as stated on the box) given that it's not powered enough to make a steady climb as stated in an earlier post?
With a side gust I can see how it MIGHT roll/rollover,
but nothing like the normal version.
Keep the flight reports coming!
escapee is offline Find More Posts by escapee
Last edited by escapee; Oct 06, 2002 at 08:46 AM.
Old Oct 06, 2002, 12:56 PM
Joined Jul 2002
1,532 Posts
Oh, it does have enough power to climb no question about that. Mine usually goes to about a 100 ft + on the batteries. As for loopsI think to look it you have to get it up high, cut the power getting in a steep dive then turn the power on. I haven't tried that yet. but will shortly.

It does great spins with one engine cut. It appears to fly upside down pretty well. I've only started playing around with that.