HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 02, 2002, 07:09 PM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,692 Posts
Slope'n the Vector

Well, this may not be the first time someone flew a fully-functional EDF jet on the slope, but it may be the first time anyone sloped Schübeler's Vector Pro. -- I can recommend it... :o)
At 8 m/s (18 mph) the lift wasn't quite strong enough for sustained power-off flight, but 1/4 throttle sufficed to make it slope with authority. Also, the headwind allowed for my best (the 7th) landing yet.

Dieter
http://shredair.com
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2002, 10:25 AM
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Joined Nov 2000
667 Posts
That is one sexy looking aircraft - looks like I could need one(!) after my El. Bandito is flying.

Care to comment on landing characteristics? How well does it slow down and track on the landing approach?

Thanks for sharing!

Fly Fast! Mark
Mark Nankivil is offline Find More Posts by Mark Nankivil
Old Jul 03, 2002, 02:25 PM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,692 Posts
"fly fast" Mark,

That is exactly what the Vector does. Tracking on landing is exceptional. In fact, over all, this plane is a bit of an oxymoron: it's incredibly stable, yet just as responsive and maneuverable; and it's eeeaasy to fly, yet faster than greased cheetah snot.

Which part of "slow down" don't it understand? All of 'em. -- I fly it only where there is plenty of room for a wide, low-altitude landing pattern. I estimate my airspeed at touchdown has never been below 30 mph. My hairiest landings have been at the Bend, OR, field, where I had to fly a 45 degree final to avoid obstacles, then quickly turn another 45 over the threshold, and set 'er right down. No problem due to the crisp response and precise handling of the plane.

For reference, mine weighs about 6 pounds (2700 g) with a 22-cell 2400 NiCad system (Pletti/Schulze).

Dieter
http://shredair.com

P.S.: more pics of the Vector are at http://shredair.com/vector.html
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Jul 03, 2002, 04:25 PM
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Joined Nov 2000
667 Posts
Hello Dieter -

Thanks for the info - sounds like it needs the room to fly. Any chance of retrofitting air brakes to it - ala F-86, etc? Just something to add drag and allow a tighter approach/greater control?

Fly Fast! Mark
Mark Nankivil is offline Find More Posts by Mark Nankivil
Old Jul 08, 2002, 08:12 AM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,582 Posts
Finally Painted

I finally had the oportunity to paint my Vector Pro. This is one sweet jet. Thanks Dieter for importing such nice models.
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini