HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 03, 2001, 11:40 PM
St. Charles, MO USA
Joined Jan 2001
668 Posts
Polyhedral Wing Lite Stick

Hi all - I have gotten a lot of good information from this site and wish to return a little. The mods came about because I don't like the way the plane looks with a string across the top and the wing looking like a bow. Go to the site:
http://members.home.net/benlanterman

Go to the bottom of the page and click on the litestick picture. It will show the mods I discuss below clearly I hope. Feel free to look at the other pictures if you wish.

The mods are,

1. Cut the wing several ribs from the wing tip, sand and put in about 1.5 inches polyhedral under each tip. This mod will give you a litestick that will make almost horizontal turns and looks good too. This is not too critical, just make it look similar.

2. Using dowel, mine was 3/32 I think carbon rods would be great, make the upright strut in the center of the wing at the 25% chord point and 2.5 to 3 inches tall. Glue to the fuselage. Glue a dowel from the top center strut to each wing polyhedral break, poke thru the wing and to the bottom. Glue both sides of the wing-dowel intersection. This upper sturcture will strengthen the wing to eliminate structural failure.

3. Using clear packing tape cover the center section following the wing contours. The tape is to make the wing a lot more aerodynamic than it is now. The center of the wing is a maximum load point until they made a hole in it. It is all drag and no lift. The tape will cure this.

These mods will make your lite stick fly a lot more honestly and stop the wing break thing.

I have also flown a GWS Moth. It is a great flyer and I have had no problems flying in a light to moderate wind. It handles very nicely and does takeoffs and landings better than I can! It is a must buy for slowflyers. Pure fun.

Good Flying,
Ben
Ben Lanterman is offline Find More Posts by Ben Lanterman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2001, 12:00 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,799 Posts
Nice fix and idea, and it still looks like a LS.
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Jul 04, 2001, 12:05 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Thanks for the Recommend on The GWS Tiger Moth, I just bought one! The hobby shop had only one left & the price was $49.99, not a bad price so I got it. I'm anxiuos to get it built but I have a Litestick to finish up first.
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
Old Jul 04, 2001, 12:08 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Thanks for the Recommend on The GWS Tiger Moth, I just bought one! The hobby shop had only one left & the price was $49.99, not a bad price so I got it. I'm anxiuos to get it built but I have a Litestick to finish up first.
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
Old Dec 04, 2001, 06:13 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Ben:

I remembered your post on the LiteStik Polyhedral mod, and searched this thread out. Now I see the @home chapter 11 thing ate your web page. Could you post a picture on this thread?

I think I got it by this explanation, but just wanted to be sure...
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Dec 04, 2001, 09:47 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Never mind... I got impatient, and broke out the heat gun. It took all of about 5 minutes, and makes all the difference in the world! It's like a different plane.

I just heated it up between the 2nd and 3rd rib from the tip, and pressed it down on a mailing tube. Couldn't be simpler!

I flew it today in a ball diamond in 5mph winds, with 13 mph gusts. I had to go up to a 10x8 prop to go forward, but the wind didn't seem nearly as wicked as it would have with the stock wings. It turned into or out of the wind very well. I think lost some slow speed floating capability, but I have another set of wings for that...
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Dec 05, 2001, 11:15 AM
The Alleged Pilot
Atlanta, GA
Joined Jan 2001
244 Posts
Try taping over the gap between the wing sections. This will definitely improve your glide ratio.

Jason.
eloquinn is offline Find More Posts by eloquinn