HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by Tres Wright, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 04, 2002, 06:04 AM
I ain't got it!!!
USA, SC, Spartanburg
Joined Apr 2001
867 Posts
Trader Rating: 19
Almost burned as well

I almost got stuck here too, by the same suspect. PMs are wonderful.
Flying Low is offline Find More Posts by Flying Low
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2002, 07:06 AM
stonington , conn....usa
Joined Sep 2001
175 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
bad deal

whats the secret? who is the guy?
Brucejay34 is offline Find More Posts by Brucejay34
Old Apr 04, 2002, 08:10 AM
NY
Joined May 2000
2,134 Posts
Trader Rating: 3
I have a sneaking suspicion......

Is it.....someone who has had ALOT of problems trading here in the past ??

If so.....Im buying a bag of Marshmellows for the end of my Antenna......the public roasting is sure to be a HOT one

Alan W
Alan W is offline Find More Posts by Alan W
Old Apr 04, 2002, 08:36 AM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,941 Posts
Trader Rating: 82
Call me # 3

Through PM messages with Tres and mefly2, we are all dealing with the same person here. I too want my $ back, and I will gladly send back the plane you cut in half for me. As soon as I get a $55 Postal Money Order from you, you get the plane back, just like you sent it to me. I have waited long enough for the plans. Two weeks to mail something to someone 3 hours away is rediculous. I was going to let this ride if I found this didn't happen to others dealing with you, but you have dug a big hole here for yourself young man, and you should begin as soon a possible to fix it. Tom Smith, CD, Rhinebeck Jamboree
Tom Smith is offline Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Last edited by Tom Smith; Apr 04, 2002 at 10:07 AM.
Old Apr 04, 2002, 09:01 AM
Random acts of Randomness
Joined Oct 2001
483 Posts
I agree with Brucejay34!

Whats the deal?

This guy is a scammer, LET IT BE KNOWN!!!
eparkflyer is offline Find More Posts by eparkflyer
Old Apr 04, 2002, 09:04 AM
Joined Apr 2001
428 Posts
More suspence than most movies......
mpj220 is offline Find More Posts by mpj220
Old Apr 04, 2002, 10:10 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Trader Rating: 32
The answer is....

Ryan Nau.

You are all correct, it's time to get this out in the open. I was going to give him a chance to redeem himself be giving me a partial refund (or full refund and I would return everything, I even offered to pay for the shipping costs both ways) but he has not responded to emails nor PMs. To top it off, I have now heard from 2 other people that have been burned by Mr. Nau. I don't really care about the money or need it that much, so I will happily expose him to hopefully prevent someone else from getting burned.

If you are interested in the details of the transaction, here they are:

Mr. Nau ran an ad for a HL Speedy and said it needed a bit of glasswork on the lower fuse. We negotiated 45.00 w/shipping for it. Then he tells me it's already packed up with a Fundango, he was going to send the whole thing to some other guy who then backed out and would I like to buy the Fundango? 95% built and covered, new condition. I took that one too, that was another 40 bucks. Then he tells me it was shipped on a certain date. It turns out he didn't ship until 10 days after that (he finally gave me the UPS tracking number after I asked where the package was). I finally got the package a couple of days ago.

The Fundango's carbon fiber tail boom is broken in 3 places, the covering job on it looks like someone used a bunch of leftover scraps AND it was a lousy job, one of the wing ribs was broken, a hole in the covering was repaired with scotch tape, the vert stab had been broken and half of it was missing! Pretty severe damage for a plane that was never flown! I didn't get the plans, so I can't rebuild the stab w/o some guess work. No matter though, it looks like a whole tube of epoxy was used to attach the boom to the wing and stab, there's no way to replace it that I can see. It appears to be well beyond repair.

The Speedy had a bunch of big decals plastered on the wing and fuse. I removed them because they were ugly, only to discover they were covering up holes in the 'glass fuse and a broken leading edge that appears to have been shattered in a collision with a tree or light pole or something. A rib was broken, the top & bottom sheeting was splintered and the leading edge was completely split in 2. Also the nose of the fuse has been cut off and an oversized plywood motor mount epoxied on. Plus there's a huge ragged hole in the bottom of the fuse that was covered with a piece of tape.

If all of these conditions had been described, I wouldn't have bought the planes at any price. I don't have any need for someone else's junk, I've got plenty of my own!

I contacted Mr. Nau by email and he didn't reply. I posted the initial message in this thread and he PM'd me saying his email is down and is there a problem? I PM'd him that I would like a partial refund or a full return as mentioned above along with an explanation of why I wanted the refund. No response.

Hope that helps someone out there!
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Apr 04, 2002, 10:29 AM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,941 Posts
Trader Rating: 82
Ryan Nau is the culprit !

I really was going to let this slide, but I just reached the straw that broke the camels back. When I got this Elipstik 460 and it was cut in half, literally, I was mad as a hornet. I e-mailed Ryan and he said that the 2 HD81 servos and the speed 400 motor were worth $45, and I was getting the plane for $10, and when he said he would send the plans,( worth $10) so I could fix this thing, I agreed. Well with Tres and mefly2 stepping in, and finding out what they are going through too, I decided to take the model out of the closet, it was in there to keep me from seeing it and getting angry all over again, and I tried the motor and servos a few minutes ago. Well, the motor is seized, and neither servo works. That's it, Ryan Nau, I want a full refund, and now. No lame excuses like your e-mail is down or any of that other crap. If I don't hear from you, I will take this up with the US Postal Service as a fraud case. I have been modeling for almost 40 years, and it saddens me to have to do this. What is this world coming to! Tom Smith, CD, Rhinebeck Jamboree
Tom Smith is offline Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Old Apr 04, 2002, 10:32 AM
Pensacola Regional, Florida, United States
Joined Jan 2002
442 Posts
Trader Rating: 13
He's not a Mr. yet

Not sure if I'd call him Mr.

Looks like a kid (17yo) from reading his profile. Maybe you could contact his parents and have them try to handle it. Sometimes when you involve parents or make them accountable things change real fast. Definatelly wouldn't cut him any slack as he needs to learn how one dishonesty can cause a lot of hassles in life, let alone 3 so far.
rakm is offline Find More Posts by rakm
Old Apr 04, 2002, 10:36 AM
racine, wi
Joined Jan 2001
339 Posts
wow. Im shocked - this from guy who has >1500 posts!!!

Has anyone had good dealings with him? Whenever I buy or sell something, I use the number of posts as my prime indicator of wheter to deal with the person. You would figure that a bad trader would have been discovered before he posted 1500 times!!!
bpu6999 is offline Find More Posts by bpu6999
Old Apr 04, 2002, 10:43 AM
Hey, I wanna fly too!
United States, TX, Justin
Joined Sep 2001
223 Posts
Trader Rating: 1
Hmmm... So what would the US Postal service do with a 17 yr old commiting mail fraud? This is certainly a sad way to loose the respect of your peers and fellow modlers...

TGP
tphillips is offline Find More Posts by tphillips
Old Apr 04, 2002, 10:50 AM
Buena Park Ca
Joined Jul 2001
341 Posts
I see that ryan nau is on right now what have you got to say ryan?
gliderdude is offline Find More Posts by gliderdude
Old Apr 04, 2002, 10:57 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Trader Rating: 32
Mr. Nau has contacted me and offered a partial refund which is what I asked for to begin with. I hope he makes good on his deals with Tom and MeFly2 as well.

Mark wrote:
==I had submitted a suggestion to E-Zone to create a "Feedback" forum. ==

That is an excellent idea. I did exactly as you mentioned and assumed that a high number of posts here could be construed similar to a feedback rating on eBay. That probably is true in 99.9% of the cases here, but a feedback forum might protect against the other .1%!
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Apr 04, 2002, 11:00 AM
Strange Plane Central
Poway (near San Diego), CA US
Joined Dec 2000
1,883 Posts
Trader Rating: 17
Thank you everyone

Thank you everyone that posted in this thread in the professional manner.
I rarely read the classifieds but in this one thread I learned:
1) possible person to avoid
2) Paypal 30 day limit
3) postal MO having larger jurisdiction

I have never had a problem with a independent party and always chocked it up to the "brotherhood of pilots" (ladies included)

I have had a few problems with vendors that were remedied quickly (hey mistakes happen)

Thankyou everyone for taking the time to help others.
frankenfoamy is offline Find More Posts by frankenfoamy
Old Apr 04, 2002, 11:00 AM
NY
Joined May 2000
2,134 Posts
Trader Rating: 3
Quote:
Originally posted by bpu6999
....Has anyone had good dealings with him?

Well.....Yes , In fact i just did.

Ryan advertised a sKat, new in box, for sale and i bought it. I sent a personal check, 4 days later he said he got the check and was shipping the sKat, 3 0r 4 days later i recieved it as described - New in Box.

I must say....all in all, a painless and timely transaction that couldn't have gone smoother.

Sorry you gentlemen had bad experiences......I don't personally know Ryan except for inside Ezone.

Alan W
Alan W is offline Find More Posts by Alan W
Closed Thread