HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2002, 12:33 PM
Lincolnshire, UK
Joined Jul 2001
89 Posts
Bristol Bolingbroke Mk IV (based on Balsacraft Blenheim)

Hi There,

Just thought I would post some pictures of my Bristol Bolingbroke Mk IV (based on the Balsacraft Blenheim). The aircraft is based on a 115 squadron, RCAF aircraft from about 1943. The nose on the model is formed from Balsa with windows painted for effect. This was more effective for me because I wanted the aircraft to be stand off scale rather than true scale and having a balsa nose saved weight overall. I did CAD up the MkIV nose up and make rough plugs for the glazed areas however the amount of space and detail needed inside would have been more work - and weight so did not do it this way.

Overall weight is just under 4.5 lbs, it is powered by 2x Overlander Hurricane 625 electric motors on 7 2400mAh Nicads and has 4 mini servos. The props are Graupner 8x4 slimprops.

I'm not going to attempt to fly it until the weather improves. It is still a bit boggy in the fields and I would like more grass coverage for its maiden flight. I'm also having lots of fun with my Balsacraft Hurricane.

I'll post some pictures when it takes to the air.
Fen Tiger is offline Find More Posts by Fen Tiger
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2002, 05:25 PM
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Jan 2002
17 Posts
Nice Aircraft - Good Job !

I build the Blenheim with fixes undercariage - but without turret :
KBerger is offline Find More Posts by KBerger
Old Feb 14, 2002, 06:31 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,759 Posts
Hi,
Both very nice models, if a bit modern
Fen Tiger, do you fancy a trip south to fly sometime?

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Feb 14, 2002, 10:58 PM
Keremeos, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 1996
632 Posts
Bolingbroke...

Nice jobs, guys...

Anyone realise that restoration of a Bolingbroke is nearly complete in Victoria BC, Canada? Under reconstruction for 15 years that I know of. Try www.bcam.net for more info.
Terry Lyttle is offline Find More Posts by Terry Lyttle
Old Feb 15, 2002, 07:36 AM
Innisfil, Ontario, Canada.
Joined Dec 2000
455 Posts
Great job Fen Tiger and Kberger! I just purchased the kit and I am planning to put landing gear on it as well. The Top Flight DC-3 kit (gasser) has a set of scale retracts for it that look very similar to the Bleheim , just need to get exact measurements to see if they will fit. Too bad the kit is no longer available.
Airnut 2 is offline Find More Posts by Airnut 2
Last edited by Airnut 2; Feb 15, 2002 at 07:47 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2002, 08:25 AM
Lincolnshire, UK
Joined Jul 2001
89 Posts
Hi Peterrake,

Sorry about the delay in response, things have been a bit busy.

I will be pleased to fly 'down south' at some point once the Blenhiem has been flown. I've just bought a FF9 and will be setting the plane up on this transmitter which should be fun.

If you want to e-mail me with details of where you fly, convenient times etc I will be most pleased to accept.
Old Feb 19, 2002, 03:00 PM
CP140 NAVCOM
Canada, BC, Courtenay
Joined Feb 2001
655 Posts
Brilliant job on the plane. I think that it's not a RCAF plane though as by 1940 Canadian squadrons were part f the 400 block (401-455). Could be 415 sqdn though, or a Canadian Coastal Command sqdn
knight of Ni is offline Find More Posts by knight of Ni
Old Feb 26, 2002, 02:24 PM
Lincolnshire, UK
Joined Jul 2001
89 Posts
Thanks for the comments.

The plane, according to my literature is based on an actual colour scheme from 115 Sqn, who were based at Patricia Bay Air Force Base , BC from August, 1943 to March, 1944. The aircraft is pictured in an artists impression form in journals I have researched from the Royal Aeronautical Society Library in London.

The weblink to the history of the base I found is at http://www.bcam.net/index.htm

The reason for the colour scheme, apart from looking quite nice is that it can be seen easily from the ground whilst in flight. I have a BC Hurricane which disappears into a black dot in the Lincolnshire fenland murky skies and this has often caused me panic and nightmares over which way it is pointing! Also, I wanted this type of scheme as it is different.

I ran the engines up on Sunday night and they seem OK. Might try for a first flight sometime in Mid March, depending on schedule.
Old Feb 26, 2002, 05:03 PM
Kent England
Joined Feb 2002
12 Posts
I have been flying a Blenhiem mk4 based on the Balsa craft kit for the last 18 months

I use two Graupner 600 ecos on 8*4 slim props

they give me about 6->8 mins on 8 rc2000's

best length flight was with Sanyo 3000 nimh 11.5 mins
and still doing loops rolls and stall turns

you will find the overlander motors much more powerfull than the ecos that I use I would guess that flight times will be about 4 mins on the 7 cell pack

also I have made the nose of mine removable so the bats load from the front that way I dont have to take the wing off every flight

I will post some photos when I have taken some
smee is offline Find More Posts by smee
Old Feb 26, 2002, 07:30 PM
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Joined Jan 2000
2,419 Posts
Blenheim/Bolingbroke

Glad to see this thread. I have my BC Blenheim with a foam shaped nose for the MkIV Blenheim/Bolingbroke almost ready to cover/paint. My scheme will be of the one in the Brandon Manitoba BCATP Museum. A very important aircraft in the WW eye-eye training of aircrews. And it's all yellow.

I have mounted two Sp 480 BB Race motors on Cosmotech GB's. I'm hoping that this lightness and good thrust will allow excellent flights on 7-8 CP1700's. Total of 24-28A off charge. Tex.
Sabrejock is offline Find More Posts by Sabrejock
Old Feb 27, 2002, 07:29 AM
Innisfil, Ontario, Canada.
Joined Dec 2000
455 Posts
Hi Tex
Did you do any mods to the kit to save weight ? What props/gearbox ratio etc. are you using and what RPM?
I was planning on using Speed 600's, but your use of
geared 480's sounds interesting.
Airnut 2 is offline Find More Posts by Airnut 2
Old Feb 27, 2002, 09:27 AM
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Joined Jan 2000
2,419 Posts
Bolly

Airnut: I had planned on using the 600's as well, but I couldn't find two that were even close to being the same. The 400BB Races and Cosmotech 4 1/2:1 planetaries turn the 9x6 APCE at about 6500 drawing only 12A per. This is on 800AR's just for the test. I do short flights and I think that the CP1300x8 will make a nice light package. My experience with 600's and 8x4 is a higher draw, hence the need for, say, RC2000's or such. Anyway, I had the boxes. I sure would not have invested the money just for this project, I could have had small DD Cobalts for the price! Tex.
Sabrejock is offline Find More Posts by Sabrejock
Old Feb 27, 2002, 11:17 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Fen Tiger

The reason for the colour scheme, apart from looking quite nice is that it can be seen easily from the ground whilst in flight. I have a BC Hurricane which disappears into a black dot in the Lincolnshire fenland murky skies and this has often caused me panic and nightmares over which way it is pointing! Also, I wanted this type of scheme as it is different.
Nice job Fen - a bit different than most of the other BC Blenheims around. You comments about the camo are spot on. My flying pal and I both had the same problem with our BC Hurricane and Blenheim. That was a contributory factor in the Hurricane now sitting on the bench having had major surgery after a very unfortunate arrival. Not sure what colour scheme she will be refurbished with, she's in the camouflage of the Ecuador Air Force at the moment.

Good luck with the Bolly

Leccy
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Feb 28, 2002, 05:37 PM
Lincolnshire, UK
Joined Jul 2001
89 Posts
Hi Leccy,

Thanks for the comments. The plane does show up rather well down the field. The only problem though is keeping the underside clean with the Lincolnshire soil which tends to cling to the matt white undersides

I'm thinking of re-painting my Hurricane and changing it to a Sea Hurricane using the colours of the example at Old Warden. This is a bit brighter than a conventional Hurri but still pretty nice. The other scheme that caught my eye was a completely white sea hurricane with invasion stripes. That would show up well