Old Apr 11, 2002, 02:39 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kimble_Schmitz
[...] try that litle trolly from Jepe [...]
Why should it work any better? Did you look at the videos of the MiG-29 I posted above?

The dolly is simple but has several obvious disadvantages 1) you need a really smooth surface 2) the plane slides on the ground so motor has to be off otherwise you suck in dirt 3) it does not quite bring the plane above stall speed as quickly compared to my ramp 4) it does not provide you with a 10 degree or so angle so you are hugging the ground for a while...

Yes that is my MiG-29 refueling at the MWE 2000. I flew it a few times.

The one next to it is my Eurofighter 2000, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0&pagenumber=1
Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
Last edited by Herb; Apr 11, 2002 at 07:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2002, 03:51 PM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kimble_Schmitz
try that litle trolly from Jepe, it should work great with the right amount of rubber.
How does it work on dirt and/or grass fields? I wasn't a believer in bungees or pedal launchers until I saw the difference it made on flying my F-4. If I'm going to do a trolley, I'd rather have real landing gear; at least I can steer!

Daren
Daren is offline Find More Posts by Daren
Old Apr 11, 2002, 04:09 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
The main advantage I see to JePe's contraption is its simplicity (just a triangular shaped steel wire with two wheels at the ends), my pvc launch ramp is as wide as my car.

But by the time I setup all this bungee junk I might as well have a nice solid foolproof ramp .

LG & retracts is of course the best way to go, but there is an obvious weight penalty which is non-negligible for edf's ...
Last edited by Herb; Apr 11, 2002 at 06:50 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2002, 02:52 PM
Canada, ON, Georgina
Joined Apr 2001
278 Posts
size please

Herb

I know this is a little bigger than the KC F/A-18, but I don't know what size that is either. Dimensions, and area please. Thank you.

Stephen
Stephen M is online now Find More Posts by Stephen M
Old Apr 15, 2002, 02:33 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
... The wingspan is about 85 cms (34 inches), the wing area is about 365 sq in - but additional lift is obviously generated by the wide fuse. Rtf weight is 73 oz, twin Plettenberg power full throttle around 800 Watts.
Last edited by Herb; Apr 29, 2002 at 10:16 PM.
Old May 08, 2002, 06:21 AM
Cologne-Deutz R.R. Svc, Germany
Joined Jan 2002
1,085 Posts
Hi Herb,

I saw your nice video with your Mig and the launcher made of pipes, a few weeks ago when I was working in Ireland.
I told you I am working on an Offshore Suchoi S-37 Berkut. It is ready and I tested it yesterday. After launching my Suchoi went strait into the sky, rolled complete to the back and flew in my direction. I shut off the EDFs and put the Suchoi down. What I think is, that the CG is much more in front, than mentioned in the drawing, because it was not possible to bring down the nose with the control. When I tried to give thrust again, it tried to loop again. What do you think how much i should move the CG to the front for the next test?

Heiner
Heiner Skroblin is offline Find More Posts by Heiner Skroblin
Old May 08, 2002, 11:51 AM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,123 Posts
Heiner,
This question came up on Allen's YF-23 thread. How did your Berkut fly with power off? If it flew okay with power off, but wanted to diverge from level flight with power on, then the thrust line is most likely askew.

I've posted this on your S-37 thread also.
Daren
Old May 08, 2002, 02:03 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Heiner, I will try to answer with more details when I have a chance, but here are a few tips to work on:

0) How did it behave when you turned the power off, did it recover & fly decently?

1) Write to or phone Claus Franken at Offshore and check with him about CG and up/down thrust issues.

2) recalculate the CG as accurately as you can, taking into account tail moment & fuse lift.

3) Build a small paper model!!! Make it as accurate as possible in outline, and with fins of course. This will be a further check on thye CG and will give you a handle on the CG sensitivity.

4) After all of the above, a slightly forward CG is better than a rerward CG, which can make the plane uncontrollable...

One more general comment, the Offshore plans I have seen have quite a bit of up-thrust & very forward CG to compensate. Remember, they were designed to fly on twin S480's... I do NOT have significant up-thrust in my MiG-29 (nor did I have it in my MiG-31), so my CG is "where it's supposed to be", and not as far forward as CF would put it.

In your case, if you did put in quite a bit of up-thust, you need to move the CG forward, then my question would be: how does it compare to the CG on the plans? Do you have 5 degrees or so up-thrust? If the answer is yes, then you need a CG that's more forward to compensate for the up-thrust...

Btw how is it powerwise, do you have plenty of thrust? The 66 mm fans are less of a load (-20%) than the standard MF480, so maybe 10 cells on a twin is not much...

If I were you I would not fly it again until I have at least partially sorted out some of the above issues... It would be a pity to lose such a beautiful plane.
Last edited by Herb; May 08, 2002 at 04:12 PM.
Old May 10, 2002, 02:43 AM
Joined Jan 2002
1,085 Posts
Hi Herb,

thank you very much for your answer!

0) Even when I turned off power, the nose came not down by itself
1) I mailed almost to Claus Franken, but I could not reach him the last days
2) It is more or less, according with the plans of CF
3) I built a small scaled model 3:1 of my SUCHOI, as you told me some month ago, the CG I found, was plus/minus the CG mentioned in my plans
4) It was nearly uncontrollable what I saw during the first test

When I move the CG on my scaled model a little to the back, then it flies like my Suchoi, the tail down, nose up and braking out to the left and right. (without power thrust)

So I am very sure, I have to move the CG to the front. The question is, how much for the next step. I think I should move it by 1 inch , what do you think?

Power thrust on my 2 KONTRONIK FUN 400-36 10x 2400 SANYO and WEMOTEC EDFs, diameter 66 mm, about 1200 g tested.

(Even if I would loose the first SUCHOI, by testing it out, I will build the next one, until I solved all problems! I do not give up fast)

Heiner
Old May 10, 2002, 03:21 AM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Heiner Skroblin When I move the CG on my scaled model a little to the back, then it flies like my Suchoi, the tail down, nose up and braking out to the left and right. (without power thrust)

So I am very sure, I have to move the CG to the front. The question is, how much for the next step. I think I should move it by 1 inch , what do you think?
Take a photo of the top of the model and I'll do a quick CG calc that should get you pretty close.

Below is an example of what I mean.

Dan
DanSavage is offline Find More Posts by DanSavage
Old May 10, 2002, 03:37 AM
Joined Jan 2002
1,085 Posts
@ Dan,

I will set in a foto on Monday next week!

Thanks Heiner
Old May 10, 2002, 02:58 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Heiner Skroblin
Hi Herb,

thank you very much for your answer!

[...] I think I should move it by 1 inch , what do you think? [...]

Heiner
One inch is quite a bit but maybe that is what you need, it's very hard to judge things without having seen the plane - or the first flight. Maybe 2/3 of an inch should do but who knows.

I would not hold up elevator when it flies off the bungee, have an inclined ramp instead at 5-10 degrees. Another question that comes to mind is: Are the canards at zero incidence (mine are on the EF 2000)?, if you have positive incidence there it would tend to pull the nose up... And make sure you have enough elevator throw to pull the nose UP if the CG on the next flight is a bit on the forward side.

Good luck, hwh
Old May 10, 2002, 05:59 PM
Joined Aug 2000
3,922 Posts
Herb

Many thanks for your reply to my request for details on your Spit. I did try to reply at length via all your 3 email addresses, but kept getting bounced back!

Best regards

Gordon
Gordon is offline Find More Posts by Gordon
Old May 13, 2002, 02:26 AM
Joined Jan 2002
1,085 Posts
Hi Herb,

I moved the CG 1 inch and I made about 7-8 flights as a glider with my SUCHOI, without EDFs and just a small cells. Now the SUCHOI is gliding and brings down the nose by it selfe. The canards are zero, and thrust line is also Zero, may be max 1 degree. There is also no angle between wing and elevators. Yesterday the weather was to bad, so I could not test with EDFs.

I think first I will also prepare a small ramp like you are using to launch your jets. I think it is much safer. Are you using gyros?

Heiner
Old May 13, 2002, 06:10 AM
Joined Jan 2002
1,085 Posts
@ Dan,

here you will find a foto of my scaled 3:1 model of the SUCHOI. I hope that will work.

Heiner
Old Nov 26, 2002, 01:09 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Lately I have been doing some minor refurbishing work on the MiG-29.

Removed all decals, stripped the paint off completely and proceeded to strengthen some areas in need of work. Such as the wing root and wing joint, fuse bottom, as well as the horiz stabs. All in preparation for a bit more power at the same or even slightly less weight...

Now it really does look like a soviet fighter ...

I will have to make a new pack as well, the old one does not quite deliver the punch it used to...

Before:
Old Nov 26, 2002, 01:11 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
After stripping paint and primer, reinforcing & revarnishing with polyurethane,
Old Nov 26, 2002, 03:09 PM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Herb
All in preparation for a bit more power at the same or even slightly less weight...
Hi Herb,
What are you upgrading to?

Daren
Old Nov 27, 2002, 12:45 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
I am still debating whether I should switch motors or not. It still would involve major surgery.

I also would like to open some hatches to access some of the electronics & cabling more easily, in particular the receiver came loose once.

Finally I am trying to fit a bigger battery in....
Old Nov 27, 2002, 01:46 PM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,123 Posts
Ouch! Sounds like one of those jobs I'd rather read about than do.

Good luck,
Daren
Old Dec 15, 2002, 03:43 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Flew it with the new pack, now again plenty of power , would almost fly on one motor only - blew the other one ...

Went ahead and ordered a complete set of replacement brushes from Germany...
Old Jan 21, 2003, 08:16 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Finally the replacement brushes (two sets) arrived from Plettenberg Germany, very good service by the way.

Opened up the bottom, took out both fans, examined the motors, opened up hatches in fuse top, examined all wiring, solder joints, esc, all in order.

Very very gently pulled out all four brushes, compared to brand new ones: 8mm new vs 6-7 mm for mine -> they are still fine after two years of use !!! The commutator needed to be cleaned, spent an hour yesterday evening with a cotton swab cleaning the copper... Springs & capacitors are fine. Commutator nice, shiny and even now, cleaned out the motor & oiled the bearings, fired them up and they seem as good as new.

So: All this trouble and I only needed to clean the commutators ...

Ulf do I need to replace brushes if I have 1-2mm (out of 8mm) wear? I assumed the answer was no.
Old Jan 21, 2003, 09:53 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2015 , May 28-31
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,899 Posts
Herb,

I had the same problem. I was running my HP200/20/6 on 12cells and all of a sudden no power. I opened it up and all that was wrong was a dirty commutator. Clean it up and it was fine, I loaned that MF480 combo to someone but now I can't remember who!! Hmmmm
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Jan 22, 2003, 11:41 PM
Canada
Joined Dec 2002
20 Posts
Herb
do you have any more pictures of the actual building process?
I'm thinking of building one using the formers you used, but I'd like to see some other shots?

thanks

Chris
FoxBAT138 is offline Find More Posts by FoxBAT138
Old Jan 23, 2003, 01:40 AM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Herb
Ulf do I need to replace brushes if I have 1-2mm (out of 8mm) wear? I assumed the answer was no.

IIRC the brushes can be worn to ~50% of original size, any deeper and you'll start to wear down on the cobberbraid.
Haldor is offline Find More Posts by Haldor
Old Jan 23, 2003, 01:22 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Kevin: I'd try to get that MF back if I were you ...

Foxbat: There's a few pics in this thread, I don't have any more.

I had to cut quite a few access hatches to get to the electronics & wiring,
Old Jan 23, 2003, 01:25 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
... but after closing the hatches again you barely see them,
Last edited by Herb; Jan 25, 2003 at 02:24 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2003, 01:37 PM
HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA, USA
Joined Feb 2000
153 Posts
Retiring it eh?

Herb,

Nice job on the finish.... Retiring it eh?

Hope to see it flying again soon!

Phil
XPHAM is offline Find More Posts by XPHAM
Old Jan 24, 2003, 02:15 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
.... It's refueling right now, will take to the air tomorrow again .

I have to find a way of cleaning the brushes & commutator wthout having to take the fans out. Maybe compressed air.
Old Jan 25, 2003, 05:35 AM
Joined Jan 2002
1,085 Posts
Herb!

Do you know the OFFSHORE-System of removable fan units? That would solve your service problem of the fan motors. They are removable from the backside without any openings from the bottom or upper side.

Heiner
Old Jan 25, 2003, 02:29 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Heiner, now the two MiniFans are more removable... Still there's duct tape & silicone to hold them in place and prevent noisy vibrations, and the wiring for the motors, and finally the two access hatches to get to the motors ....

Now I just have to get the courage up to fly this thing again after all the painting .
Old Jan 26, 2003, 04:59 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Re: Retiring it eh?

Quote:
Originally posted by XPHAM
Herb, ... Hope to see it flying again soon! Phil

Phil you missed it, it flew again yesterday!... After a year definitely not as fast as the more recent stuff. Took a short video too. Will bring the MiG-29 to the MWE, most likely for static display as we'll be there friday only and unfortunately will miss the weekend zoo...
Last edited by Herb; Jan 26, 2003 at 05:03 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2003, 05:32 PM
Joined Sep 2002
7,938 Posts
Now I know where I got my paint job from.

Glad to hear you got it in the air again Herb, it sure is pretty.

Steve
U812 is offline Find More Posts by U812
Old Jan 26, 2003, 11:21 PM
HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA, USA
Joined Feb 2000
153 Posts
Out of retirement

Hi Herb,

I'm glad your last sortie was fruitful as I have always thought your twin engined 29 was more of a work of art.

Kind of inspired me to build my twinjet I designed 3 years ago.... Lots of cutting and sanding this weekend; Damn, should have come out to see the Fulcrum

I was intrigued by the small (low power) KP-44 fans at the time and drew up a Horten Ho 9 for them. More cutting and sanding

If it fies, you can fly your new hi-tech Fulcrum next to my low power Nurflugel Ho 9....

Phil
XPHAM is offline Find More Posts by XPHAM
Old Jan 27, 2003, 05:16 AM
Master of Nothing!!!
Orange county
Joined Nov 2002
511 Posts
Hi Herb, where do you fly at? I live in Lake Forest. It would be nice to see some other folks flying. I usually fly in Irvine off of Alton. Sorry to veture O.T.
ginsu1797 is offline Find More Posts by ginsu1797
Old Jan 27, 2003, 05:20 AM
Joined Jan 2002
1,085 Posts
Herb!

"Now I just have to get the courage up to fly this thing again after all the painting."

My new SUCHOI S-37 is ready, but I haven't the courage to try yet.

Heiner
Old Jan 27, 2003, 01:06 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Heiner, The Mig-29 flies just fine , here's a short video from saturday:

MiG-29 video (11 MB)

Ginsu generally we fly on saturday and sunday afternoon (after 1pm) at Fairview park in costa mesa (look for canyon drive on your oc map).
Last edited by Herb; Jan 29, 2003 at 02:09 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2003, 06:11 PM
Master of Nothing!!!
Orange county
Joined Nov 2002
511 Posts
Thanks Herb, I heard people fly there. I gonna have to stop and visit sometime.
ginsu1797 is offline Find More Posts by ginsu1797
Old Jul 06, 2003, 01:31 AM
Joined Jul 2003
8 Posts
hey herb, u got any plans for that MIG?

Im a total noob ^^ but i definatly wanna give it ago to see if i can build a plan!

Im gonna get hold of some polystrne first ^^ see if im good at it, and if i can get a plane flying. Then i will move onto maybe balsa?

Have you got a guide/site to building one of ur planes ?
wannabebuilder is offline Find More Posts by wannabebuilder
Old Aug 26, 2003, 02:13 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
It is built from scratch by slightly enlarging the original offshore plan to make the twin MF480's fit:

http://members.aol.com/offshoreel/modelle3.htm

You will find more details about mine at the beginning of this thread. It could definitely use some larger size NiMHd batteries but unfortunately the fuse space is quite limited...

A few flight videos of mine are linked here:

http://rcgroups.com/gallery/showgall...500&ppuser=165

About six months ago after a few flights it got a new paint job,
Old Nov 20, 2003, 03:32 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
I received two offers to make a fiberglass carbon composite either all moulded, or partially moulded, version of the above near scale MiG-29 Fulcrum .

That would make the model quite a bit stronger and lighter, and allow for more room for batteries, and therefore allow performance far beyond the 850 Watts that's in there right now. And weight significantly below the present 73 oz rtf (4.6 pds or 2.07 kg) for the same power setup. W/o the battery pack the rtf weight is now at about 49 oz.

The kit could be offered as a FG molded fuselage (made in top & bottom halves), complete ducting - which is just more or less two straight fg tubes, and foam core wings. Or as a fully molded version including moulded wings.

The FG fuse option with foam core wings seems the most sensible option at this point. Unfortunately the model would have to be butchered to make the fg mold.

I wonder if there's any interest in such a project.
Last edited by Herb; Nov 20, 2003 at 03:34 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 04:22 PM
dallas,tx
Joined Feb 2002
731 Posts
Oh I bet people would jump on this one as a FG kit, go for it.
it's a great looking model.

ryan d.
ryan d. is offline Find More Posts by ryan d.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 04:24 PM
Joined Sep 2002
7,938 Posts
Herb,

You have my interest of course. Almost done with the Huck.

Steve
U812 is offline Find More Posts by U812
Old Nov 20, 2003, 08:37 PM
Joined Oct 2003
200 Posts
Herb
Nice job with paint. I have a question. How did you get the detailed lines on the MIG 29 after painting it?
Ive never done that so wouldnt know
thanks again
ami
amit is offline Find More Posts by amit
Old Nov 24, 2003, 01:02 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
I just drew the lines with a fine tip pen called Sharpie. I have occasionally used also Pilot paint white and silver pens from an artist supply store.

The trick to getting straight lines on a curved surface is using a flexible ruler, again from an arts supply store...
Old Nov 24, 2003, 01:46 AM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
I'd hate to see such a nice plane butchered, but it would be giving it's life for what should be a popular model.

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Nov 24, 2003, 06:14 AM
Landkey, Devon, England.
Joined Jul 2003
826 Posts
Hi Herb,

The 29 looks great, I use the pens for all the panel lines and like you I have used the white and silver Pilot range. Another good range is Staedtler, they have fine line markers with 0.3mm,0.5mm,
0.7mm tips.

A tip I picked up from Chris Golds, when lining out flaps or other suitable surfaces is to place a white occasionaly broken line along side the black line and it gives the impression of shadow and highlight of the panel or control surface. It really does transform a paintjob.

Cheers
Ron
Ron Laden is offline Find More Posts by Ron Laden
Old Nov 24, 2003, 12:52 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by monkamarm2000
I'd hate to see such a nice plane butchered, but it would be giving it's life for what should be a popular model.

Barry
The composite version is going to be a lot lighter and yet far stronger. It will take more power, fly better and be more durable.

A semi kit in the $200 range should be feasible I hope, although I am not a composite fabrication expert at all .
Last edited by Herb; Nov 24, 2003 at 02:13 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 03:15 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
sounds great to me Herb.

Barry
Old Nov 24, 2003, 11:36 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
Speaking of off shore, anyone know the best method to order from them for the U.S.
Old Aug 21, 2004, 12:53 PM
Oulu, Finland
Joined Jul 2004
7 Posts
Kit available ?

Hi Herb.

Is the kit still available ?

-Sakke
Reikkali is offline Find More Posts by Reikkali
Old Aug 30, 2004, 06:01 PM
Married with planes
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
90 Posts
I'm curious too, and what other kits are available from Herb.

Excellent work!
DennisVR is offline Find More Posts by DennisVR
Old Nov 03, 2004, 02:52 PM
Joined Sep 2004
75 Posts
I'm curious as well, to say the least
Any chance of having kit released?

Thanks!
Phil
EKar is offline Find More Posts by EKar
Old Nov 04, 2004, 01:29 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
It's a modified Offshore plan. Sorry I am not myself in the kitting business .

Last edited by Herb; Nov 04, 2004 at 01:54 PM.
Old Nov 05, 2004, 03:47 AM
Joined Sep 2004
75 Posts
Thanks for reply, Herb! Beautiful plane! Couldn't resist the idea of building one from kit
Last edited by EKar; Nov 05, 2004 at 03:50 AM.
Old Nov 05, 2004, 06:33 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
There's not much demand for a MF480 twin ...

Twin fans, twin BL motors, twin BL controllers all add up in $$$. Someday if I can get mine all in one piece to Albuquerqe NM, some very talented person there might decide to pull a nice mold ...

My next one will be twin 90 mm, all molded and big .

The Germans are coming out with a brand-new all-molded Su-35 for twin 90 mm fans as well, early next year.
Old Nov 06, 2004, 02:53 AM
Joined Sep 2004
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb
There's not much demand for a MF480 twin ... .
Really? I thought that's a very nice set-up for twin engine jet models. What would be a better twin EDF setup in your opinion?

Quote:
The Germans are coming out with a brand-new all-molded Su-35 for twin 90 mm fans as well, early next year.
Do you know any more details on that? Wingspan? Who is it going to be coming from?
Old Nov 06, 2004, 01:08 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EKar
... Do you know any more details on that? Wingspan? Who is it going to be coming from?
The twin 90mm fan (or single 120 mm fan) Su-27 is around 1.0 m ws and 1.4 m length, all moulded, made by a well known German manufacturer who specializes in all-composite edf's,

Old Nov 06, 2004, 01:31 PM
Helsinki Vantaa, Finland
Joined Jul 2004
3 Posts
Mig-29 is still available as a kit from Offshore models. I ordered one last month and I've just started building it..

It will have Hacker B40-8L motors and CC-80 controllers..

Just goto to http://members.aol.com/offshoreel/index.htm and order the kit by email and you will be building in couple of weeks.

/Ari
AriL is offline Find More Posts by AriL
Old Nov 06, 2004, 04:45 PM
Joined Sep 2004
75 Posts
My German is nonexistant. I thought they only offer plans. Could you advisce how to order a kit from them? How did it came to you? Pre-cut parts?
Old Nov 06, 2004, 04:48 PM
Joined Sep 2004
75 Posts
Quote:
The twin 90mm fan (or single 120 mm fan) Su-27 is around 1.0 m ws and 1.4 m length, all moulded, made by a well known German manufacturer who specializes in all-composite edf's,

How do we get in line for the kit? Ballpark figure for the price?
Old Nov 06, 2004, 04:56 PM
Helsinki Vantaa, Finland
Joined Jul 2004
3 Posts
My German is as bad.. Luckily you can use altavista's or google's language tools and Mr. Franken communicates in English as well..

Bauplan + Anleitg. = plans and instructions
CNC-Spanten = CNC cut parts (very good quality)
Klarsichthaube = plastic cockpit
Rumpfspitze = plastic nose

Also you can get wings which are balsa covered styrox (foam)..
AriL is offline Find More Posts by AriL
Old Nov 06, 2004, 05:00 PM
Joined Sep 2004
75 Posts
Apparently my internet skills are non-existant either I tried to use google language tools with little success.
Old Nov 07, 2004, 05:44 PM
Joined Sep 2004
75 Posts
AriL,

I tried to contact Offshore but their replies were all in German. Which email did you write to? Hope I could establish contact in English. I tried to get a friend of mine who knows German to help me but he got lost in RC terms, it seems. Also, please tell me how to order the wing set that you mention.

Thank you!

Phil
Old Oct 06, 2005, 11:55 AM
Oulu, Finland
Joined Jul 2004
7 Posts
Herb: Where to get that SU-27 Kit?
You said its from Germany?

- Reik
Reikkali is offline Find More Posts by Reikkali
Old Oct 07, 2005, 08:01 AM
Stockholm Arlanda, Sweden
Joined Dec 1999
129 Posts
GRUMANIA JET MODELS

http://www.grumania.de/html/su27_flanker1.html

Regards
Martin
Martin Lagerstedt is offline Find More Posts by Martin Lagerstedt
Old Oct 24, 2005, 03:59 PM
Berlin Kaulsdorf, Germany
Joined Oct 2002
346 Posts
Hello Herb,

could you do me a favor and make a picture from the air intake of your mig 29? That would be nice because i cant imagine how this is solved on the offshore mig.

Regards
Stefan
sdberlin is offline Find More Posts by sdberlin
Last edited by sdberlin; Oct 29, 2005 at 04:00 AM.
Old Oct 28, 2005, 07:21 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
The intakes are close to scale, squarish and about the right size for the Minifan. As you can see from the video it flies just fine. Nowadays a lightweight fg molded fuselage would be my choice.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 08:40 PM
Bertrand MICHELS
Belgium
Joined Nov 2003
1,411 Posts
Has someone built the EDF version of the grumania Su27 ?? What set-up and weught ?
bmaaa is offline Find More Posts by bmaaa