Old Mar 11, 2004, 06:11 PM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,508 Posts
Yippee!
Multiplex EasyStar thread - Part 3!

This thread just rumbles on!

This is the start of Part 3, and funnily enough it follows on from the end of Part 2..............

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...29#post1933229

For those of a betting mind, Part 2 took just over 3 weeks (17th Feb to 11th March) to reach 500 posts. Any takers on this one?

tim hooper
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2004, 06:20 PM
SlopeHead
Lisboa, Portugal
Joined Jan 2004
2,882 Posts
I am betting on a week or so... I was the first here around Lisbon, and now the EZ* is sold out in most shops...
jcosta is offline Find More Posts by jcosta
Old Mar 11, 2004, 06:51 PM
Australia, NSW, Mona Vale
Joined May 2002
5,450 Posts
BECAUSE OF a change of agency for Multiplex in Australia there are no EZ*'s being sold here----YET. Don't know about NZ.

I got mine from Modelspot in England. Cheaper shipping
(no handling charge) and quicker shipment than Hobby-Lobby whose order still hasn't arrived.

Whats the opinion on running in the motor with/ without prop on?

I run mine in just for the heck of it, by hooking up to two D cells, with the prop on and just letting it run out the Batts. Takes about two hrs.

Cheers. patrick.
oldpilot is offline Find More Posts by oldpilot
Old Mar 11, 2004, 07:33 PM
lancashire, england
Joined Jan 2004
89 Posts
Hi all,

Started to put my EZ* together tonight, I was glad to see that it goes together very easy and was hoping to get a flight in this weekend but the weather forecast looks very grim

will get a few pics together for this weekend too.

Regards

James
upandaway is offline Find More Posts by upandaway
Old Mar 11, 2004, 08:35 PM
the journey is the reward
Canada
Joined Apr 2002
1,549 Posts
Got a little "hang time" with the EZ this afternoon. Ah stick/slush time in early March, time to ring out the socks!

Still good to get out and have at er.

CG about 72 mm from leading edge, seems real good, nice glide.

May you all get out an get at er this weekend.

Keep em up there!

HH
Hammer Head is offline Find More Posts by Hammer Head
Old Mar 11, 2004, 11:22 PM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,168 Posts
How do you like our new thread? Feels nice and roomy huh?

I ordered some RAM ARF lights, that are the magnetic type, got them from Tower, but think they are cheaper elsewhere. I may make my friend try them out on his fighterbird first. You get a whole buch of watch batteries, like 12, and magnets, some kind of little plastic L shaped mounting brackets, if the wings are thick, I guess. You twist them to turn on the l.e.d.s in red, green, and white. If this March wind dies down some I'll post how they work. Tomorrow's forecast 15 - 25 mph winds.

Tower has spare props, the original Gunther, but they aren't linked to the EZ. The manuf. # at top of page says #301, but in the notes it says #302, which is what is embossed on the stock EZ prop:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...2&I=LXALN4&P=K

jcosta, I burn some tobacco occasionally, and I resent how it is quite ok to pollute the air with all kinds of chemicals here, but the tobacco is a no-no. I use Bali shag blue can, which is very bad for you young people out there. tt
Also, I had to look up "sporran", I guess you know English better than I, or me. You can bet John Wayne would have had a pack of Camels in his.
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Last edited by Treetop; Mar 11, 2004 at 11:39 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 11:26 PM
sensitive artsy type
Joined Feb 2004
3,168 Posts
Hey, Tim Hooper. You Brits are the experts on English, is "funnily" a real word?

Sorry Tim, I looked it up in my dictionary and yes funnily is a real word as is funniness. tt
Last edited by Treetop; Mar 11, 2004 at 11:42 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2004, 01:25 AM
Australia, NSW, Mona Vale
Joined May 2002
5,450 Posts
EASY STAR No: 3 arrived today, from Hobby-Lobby.

Postie left it outside in the rain, but it was so well packaged that no harm was done.

One of these is for my friend, and the other I am going to make up just like the first --EXCEPT-- with a Mega 16/15/6 on an E-tec Li Poly 3s2p 1200mah pack.

Should come out around the 24 oz mark so I am hoping it won,t tear the wings off !!!!! I am looking for 45 min flights. Heh. Heh!

Cheers. Patrick.
oldpilot is offline Find More Posts by oldpilot
Old Mar 12, 2004, 02:04 AM
sensitive artsy type
Joined Feb 2004
3,168 Posts
Patrick, how much shipping does Hobby Lobby charge you? And how long did it take? (that is if you don't mind telling, just curious) I have a very nice Airsail kit from NZ, rubber power Pilatus Turbo Porter, might want to order from down under some time.

Forty-Five minutes, gee whiz!

Kind of leaves a guy speechless.

Not for long too long though - I figure your EZ* has been from Germany to Tennessee to AUS, what about 18,000 miles in the air already. tt
Old Mar 12, 2004, 03:05 AM
Plane Crazy
Zurich, Switzerland
Joined Aug 2003
1,329 Posts
So Miniboy (I think it was) was not so far of with his prediction of part three by around march 14th....
we even beat him by 2 days
I can hold the ES inverted now up to 30 sec's, even climbing (provided I don't forget to turn DR off )
Also a great plane to practice approaches in gusty wind.
No wing separation yet, but on testing I found that they don't hold together as they used to - guess I have to start looking for some mags soon.
splash99 is offline Find More Posts by splash99
Old Mar 12, 2004, 04:53 AM
Proudly 2.4GHz free!
Alexandria, VA, USA
Joined Feb 2003
610 Posts
It's gonna be a great plane

Well, I got the EZ* up for 3 quick 2-lap flights yeaterday, and thwn decided to go with the better part of valor, and come on home. I started out with the CG about 7mm forward of the rear spar cover seem (~75 from leading edge).

1st flight: launch at about 2/3 throttle into the wind (that felt like a lot more than the 6-7 mph predicted) and it took of and climbed like crazy. "Homesick angel" is the phrase, I believe.

Once I turned down wind and pulled power, it started porporsing like mad. I put in full down trim, and held a some down elevator, and got it back down with no damage. Nice landing, in fact.

I moved the battery forward about an inch. It's an 8 cell KAN 950, and was sitting right under the canopy.

Second flight was much like the first -- hard to control power off. On this flight, as I turned back into the wind, I tried out a VHAD-SRO maneuver from about 50 ft.. That's Very High Angle Descent - Short Roll Out. In this case, I used about an 85 deg descent, and zero rollout.

This is where I got sold on multiplex / EPP. As I'm walking over to collect the pile of plane, I see it laying there, and another chunk of foam that I take to be it's nose about 2 ft. behind it. So I'm expecting it to be in the usual shape that a styro plane would have been in.

I get ther, and i's just the canopy that had popped off! The rest of the plane is fine! I'm sold. I did open the top seam along the nose a bit, but that went right back with some CA in 20 sec. I am much impressed.

Anyway, 3rd flight, I moved the batter all the way forward to try and get it to not stall power off, and up again. Same thing -- OK power on, repeated stall power off into the wind. I brought it down and called it a day until I could get less wind and think through what was happening.

Has anyone else noticed the lowwhistling sound it makes as it goes overhead poweroff? I was the only one at the field, so I could hear it as went overhead at about 80 ft. as I was landing. Very cool.

dave.
dstrout is offline Find More Posts by dstrout
Old Mar 12, 2004, 05:07 AM
Proudly 2.4GHz free!
Alexandria, VA, USA
Joined Feb 2003
610 Posts
questions

I thought I'd break out the questions from the narrative. So, any thoughts on:

1.) Why does it stall over and over power off, even when way nose heavy? I checked again at home, and where I initially started out with the battery under the canopy puts the CG where it is supposed to be.

2.) This may be related -- I moticed that the plane of the elevator is not parallel to the plane of the wing when viewed from the rear. it's off probably 10 deg or maybe a little less. Is that going to kill me?

3.) Also noticed at the field (isn't that where you always notice these things?) that the tail moves left and right on full elevator deflection. The tail is not lose; it's twisting the whole fuse. I assumed that it was a matter of too much throw and dialed the throws back on the xmitter to the point where it wasn't moving the tail.

4.) Also on pre-flight, I noticed that the motor was turning in the pod. I had never run the motor while standing behind it prior to the first pre-flight. I fixed it by putting CA on both sides of two pieces of popsicle stick and sliding them between the pod and the motor. Once that kicked, it stopped rotating.

Sorry for so many questions -- I'm hoping to try again Sat am, but I'm not really sure where to go. It seemed like it was tail heavy, since it wanted to stall all the time, but I can't believe it was off by that much...

thanks,
dave.
dstrout is offline Find More Posts by dstrout
Old Mar 12, 2004, 05:38 AM
Whaddya Mean, I Procrastinate?
United States, MA, Webster
Joined Feb 2003
2,524 Posts
Hi oldpilot:

There have been comments of the need not to "break in" a plain Jane speed 400 motor, but I don't don't think it will do any harn, either.

According to jcosta and others, run it with the speed controller at 1/4 throttle for 15 minutes or so, with no prop. The idea is to "wear in" the brushes to the shape of the commutator with low voltage, and no load , to eliminate excessive sparking at the brushes. In my opinion, this will give you (me anyway) an early start at cycling the new battery packs and new TX pack.

My two shillings worth,

Russ
MiniBoy is offline Find More Posts by MiniBoy
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2004, 05:39 AM
SlopeHead
Lisboa, Portugal
Joined Jan 2004
2,882 Posts
dstrout

If you remove power downwind, the speed of the plane can be less than the speed of the air around it and the real airspeed may be too low, close to stall speed.

As for the tail moving, did you glue the thicker outer tubes to the fuse? Those are what gives rigidity to the tail... Also the tube where the antenna is supposed to go.
jcosta is offline Find More Posts by jcosta
Old Mar 12, 2004, 05:46 AM
Whaddya Mean, I Procrastinate?
United States, MA, Webster
Joined Feb 2003
2,524 Posts
Hi dstrout:

I wonder if you have the horizontal stabilizer in the fuselage saddle correctly?

The wing has a fairly steep angle of incidence, so the stab and the wing should not be in a common plane, but there was some discussion about 2,000 posts ago about someone glueing the stab on first, then the rudder / fin, and the stab was not where it belonged. The correct proceedure is to glue the fin / rudder to the stab, then glue the stab / fin / rudder to the fuselage.

Just a thought,

Russ
MiniBoy is offline Find More Posts by MiniBoy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MiniBoy; Mar 12, 2004 at 05:55 AM.
Closed Thread