Old Feb 28, 2004, 02:04 AM
Why not Delta?
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2003
1,714 Posts
One hour CD ROM motor construction PART3

Quote:
Originally posted by Fred Bronk
OK guys, it is way past time for part 3.

We try to keep it at 500 so the files can be managed and searches are easier.

Please start part III and of course a link to the others are welcome
This is the best thread I ever saw.

Continue here guys, please.

To see the previous messages from Part 1 go to the link:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=127606

To see the previous messages from Part 2 go to the link:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=174595

RysiuM

P.S. Thanks Jeff
rysium is offline Find More Posts by rysium
Last edited by rysium; Feb 29, 2004 at 01:31 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2004, 06:14 AM
scotland
Joined Jan 2004
175 Posts
ok the jetti 08-03p arrived today

testing it out
johnnie7 is offline Find More Posts by johnnie7
Old Feb 28, 2004, 09:33 AM
Foam Flyer
Stockbridge, Georgia, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,931 Posts
yep great thread. I hope to be adding some input with my own re winds soon.

Glenn
Depdog is offline Find More Posts by Depdog
Old Feb 28, 2004, 10:37 AM
Rome Da Vinci, Italy
Joined Aug 2003
355 Posts
Hi! I have the aircraft-world cdrom motor on a star config 18T 0,375 mm wire , 12 5x5x1 magnets and draws 4.7A from a 2S lipos, is it a good result? Thrust on a gunther is only 60gr. I tried a delta with 18T, 20T, 22T but at half throttle it goes to 5 A!! My objective is around 120/140gr. (4/5 oz.) of thrust under 6.5A with a 2S and the litter propeller possible, what do you suggest with what i have? Thanx in advance!!!
Niggo is offline Find More Posts by Niggo
Old Feb 28, 2004, 03:48 PM
f5b-uk
United Kingdom, Dorset
Joined May 2002
3,064 Posts
This seems like the correct forum to post this question, but excuse me if not. I intend rewinding a cdrom myself. I have one already to go and will initially use the original magnets. I also have some N45's on order. My concern is whether there is any risk to my ESC if I get it wrong? I'd initially be using the Tsunami 10 because this is the only small esc I have. Am I worrying too much, or is there a real risk of frying it?

Mike
Mike Seale is online now Find More Posts by Mike Seale
Old Feb 28, 2004, 05:41 PM
Joined Mar 2001
2,624 Posts
Just want to post here so I can find the thread easier in a search. I did get a couple of flights on my fun flyer with my newest CD-ROM motor this afternoon. Having true vertical is so cool!

Tony Turley
t-turley is offline Find More Posts by t-turley
Old Feb 28, 2004, 07:04 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,763 Posts
I've been building cdroms for my micro helicopters, and having great success with them. However most cdroms have a 3mm shaft and makes getting a pinion on it very tough. Scott from Littlescreamers.com was able to turn down the end of one of those hard 3mm shafts and now I can use 2mm pinions. This is great for us doing heli's and I would think the guys using GWS gearboxes could benifit as welll, they could use 2mm GWS pinions.
Art Newland is offline Find More Posts by Art Newland
Old Feb 28, 2004, 07:05 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,763 Posts
in the motor
Old Feb 28, 2004, 07:56 PM
Impossible? Hah!
Oslo Fornebu, Norway
Joined Jun 2003
3,074 Posts
Try using a CF-rod next time. It will make for a much lighter motor system. For 2mm one can use 2mm bearings instead of the 3mm ones and either use a 1mm spacer ring or a 2mm bell.
KreAture is offline Find More Posts by KreAture
Old Feb 28, 2004, 08:51 PM
Lipoly not Lipo-suction
Brisbane Australia
Joined Nov 2003
229 Posts
Hi all. Just posting to keep the info coming (lol) I don't know if the email reminders follow over when a new thread starts.

Cranky
Cranky1 is offline Find More Posts by Cranky1
Old Feb 28, 2004, 09:55 PM
Troy ,OH
Joined Jan 2004
1,813 Posts
PINION

Quote:
Originally posted by Art Newland
I've been building cdroms for my micro helicopters, and having great success with them. However most cdroms have a 3mm shaft and makes getting a pinion on it very tough. Scott from Littlescreamers.com was able to turn down the end of one of those hard 3mm shafts and now I can use 2mm pinions. This is great for us doing heli's and I would think the guys using GWS gearboxes could benifit as welll, they could use 2mm GWS pinions.
iVE JUST COMPLETED A DOUBLE WHOPPER WITH CHEESE FOR MY
HUMMINGBIRD-HORNET(COLECTIVE PITCH).

2-28.78MM STATORS
12 5X5X1 N45S (6 POLE)
10 TURNS WYE OF RADIO SHACK GREEN
DOESNT GET WARM AT ALL-VERY POWERFULL
NO TACH OR OTHER YET.
HEADSPEED HAS TO BE BETWEEN 1800-2000 (GUESS)
UNTIL I CAN GIVE AN EXACT RPM -AMPS.
I CAN TELL THERE IS A NOTICEABLE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE 370 MODIFIED MOTOR AND THIS.THERE IS ALSO A NOTICEABLE DIFFERENCE IN THE STABILITY WITCH IA ALSO A PRODUCT OF HIGHER HEAD SPEED.
WILL LET YOU KNOW SOON.

ASLO USEING THE SAME PINION YOU HAVE PICTURED .I DRILLED OUT THE PINION ON MY LATHE JUST UNDER 3MM FOR PRESS FIT.

THANKS ART FOR THE INSIRATION AND HELPFULLNESS.
grumman5277 is offline Find More Posts by grumman5277
Old Feb 28, 2004, 09:58 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,763 Posts
KreAture,

Quote:
Try using a CF-rod next time. It will make for a much lighter motor system. For 2mm one can use 2mm bearings instead of the 3mm ones and either use a 1mm spacer ring or a 2mm bell.
Been there done that with the 2mm shaft and etc, this is so much simpler to do and makes a nice robust motor. You can use alot of the stock motor parts and bearings and bearing tube. I'll agree that you can build it lighter, but that's not always better. This motor has a lot of power compared to a stock Piccolo brushed motor, a little extra weight doesn't bother it at all. Actually a little heavier and cut down blades, or wood blades from Yukonho, gets the head speed higher which makes it more stable. This is one of my motors with a homemade 3mm to 2mm adapter, crude but works well.
Old Feb 28, 2004, 10:05 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,763 Posts
Congrads grumman5277,
would love to see your creation, how about posting some info over in the micro-heli forum? Keep us posted on the numbers. BTW, you had better check that Caps Lock button! 8^)
Old Feb 28, 2004, 10:43 PM
Impossible? Hah!
Oslo Fornebu, Norway
Joined Jun 2003
3,074 Posts
Cool Art Newland
Just one thing: You should solder on thicker wires at the point the wires exit the final windings. Each mm outside the motor only leads to loss. This loss can in some cases be quite huge compared to the power the motor needs. (Also, the twisting of the wires causes transconductance wich will confuse the ESC making it less likely to get the motor running at max eff.

Just try shortening the wires out from the motor and you may be surprised...
KreAture is offline Find More Posts by KreAture
Old Feb 28, 2004, 11:09 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,763 Posts
Thanks for the tip KreAture, I'll certainly give it a try. This is a picture of an earlier motor, 2mm shaft and etc. Guess I should have sticked to this wiring arrangement.
Closed Thread