HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2004, 09:29 AM
Tucson AZ
Joined Oct 2003
81 Posts
Mother of all chargers,store,transport?

Here is the set up I have been using to charge, store and transport Lipo's. It uses dedicated chargers for 3S1P, 2s1P packs (adding 2s to open area of the board). and also has a plug in module for 1SIP for balancing. You can charge several packs at the same time with the built in Cosel power supply. The batts themselves have female Ultra Conns as does the Charger. A male/male patch cord is then used while charging.

The little white disc in the pic is a small smoke detector and there is another on the ceiling. The box has a fan on the end to keep things cool (although it doesn't seem to get hot enough to need a fan). On the back is a power booster for charging 3 cell packs and a plug that fits cig. lighter in auto for field charging. The outlet is actually a switched inlet for the power cord.

The batt. area is segmented into 9 individual cells by 14 guage steel with a ceramic "floor". The batts are wrapped inside a tight weave NOMEX cloth that prevents flames from emerging. I have tested this myself (also see dna.rchomepage.com). There is a 3 Amp meter inside to monitor the status of the charge on each cell.

Best thing is these diy chargers always work properly and the whole thing costs about $125 to make. Last pic is of the timer that automatically shuts off the unit after 2-3 hours although these chargers go down to an infinitely small trickle charge any way. The timer shuts off all power.
willydo is offline Find More Posts by willydo
Last edited by willydo; Feb 16, 2004 at 09:29 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2004, 09:31 AM
Tucson AZ
Joined Oct 2003
81 Posts
Inside: Ammeter to test status, 14 guage steel/ceramic compart
ments for Nomex wrapped batteries. Cosel power supply.
Last edited by willydo; Feb 15, 2004 at 09:46 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2004, 09:33 AM
Tucson AZ
Joined Oct 2003
81 Posts
fan

brushless fan ($5, new)
Old Feb 15, 2004, 09:35 AM
Tucson AZ
Joined Oct 2003
81 Posts
back side of charger

power booster (varialble 15-21V) and adapter for field charging from auto.
Old Feb 15, 2004, 09:40 AM
Tucson AZ
Joined Oct 2003
81 Posts
timer (last pic)

Digital timer. Set to normal time it takes to charge a pack. This is just a safety precaution as chargers go to trickle anyway..
See Text.

Thanks for input and ideas. Most gathered of Ezone.
Old Feb 15, 2004, 12:46 PM
Arnold , Maryland, United States
Joined Nov 2002
897 Posts
Good thinking Will. There seems to be more interest on this board, in smarter, more powerfull chargers. But I believe the do-it-yourselfers, by experimenting, will stumble upon the ideal lipo charging/storing scheme, long before the manufacturers put one on sale.
uglystick is offline Find More Posts by uglystick
Old Feb 15, 2004, 03:51 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Sep 2003
224 Posts
Nice project! I was thinking of doing the samething for my Triton/cosel. I just need to find the perfect case/box for it. I was planning to put in a very small fire extinguisher. The smoke alarm is a great idea. I will put that in as well. Thanks for sharing.
htuong95 is offline Find More Posts by htuong95
Old Feb 15, 2004, 04:03 PM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,888 Posts
Go whole hog and install a halon fire suppression system for that thing?
patrickegan is offline Find More Posts by patrickegan
Old Feb 15, 2004, 05:39 PM
Tucson AZ
Joined Oct 2003
81 Posts
Thanks Uglystick and Htuong95;

Yes I think most of us are trying to come up with ways to use the new technology but still be able to relax knowing that our system will notify us immediately if something is wrong and then contain it.
The little smoke detector is a 4" diameter found at Sears.
The Nomex is originally used in large model rockets to separate the ejection blast charge from the parachute.

I don't consider myself an over cautious person, but still keep reading about little "accidents"