HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2004, 03:17 AM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,362 Posts
DiddleBug - Stevens Aero - Front Yard Flyer

I was spending sometime with Zach last weekend building chuck gliders and such, nothing gives him more pleasure then to sit atop the steps and zing dad in the head with a glider, we made two or three different models - played with lifting stabs etc... in general had a blast - we spent all night cutting and flying and cutting and flying at 3am we finally retired... the next morning he got the bright idea to talk me into electrifying one of them, apparently the rubber powered model left him wanting more. In fact, Zach just got his AMA card and wants to start taking the sticks... I realized I had nothing in the "hangar" for him to learn on. We got right to work - unfortunately our gliders were more RFFS sized... I couldn't wait to order up a unit so we improvised - scaling up the glider to accept more conventional radio gear. Something started to brew.

The plane we ended up creating was nothing more then a proof of concept - testing the wing integrity, moments, thrust lines, and responsiveness. The plane was built as a simple profile / pylon bird and weighed in at 2.6oz Ready to fly on the following gear:

Plantraco Rec/ESC
2x4.9g HE490 Serovs
Azarr Micro Antenna
2x250 Etec Lipo

Now Zach is not much of a stick right now - but he is catching on quick. He has become very proficient with the AirSurfer - but this was his first single stick RET model. I slightly over-built the structure to better withstand the abuse a typical 5 year old was going to subject the airframe to... cobbled together some gear so dad could shoot touch and goes off the hood of the car. From concept to flying model we were out to the field in the better half of one day.

I wasn't quite prepared for how much fun this was going to be. I took the model out in front of the house to do some taxi tests in the dark... it lept off the ground and started flying down the street... big problem. I was able to bring it down without loosing it in the blackness... we needed to find a suitable flying site.... By now it was 3am and our field was the venerable Krispy Kreme parking lot Winds were calm and it was a balmy 24deg F... I got the plane trimmed out under the parking lot lights and flew a few circuits - then it was time to retire for the evening.

What has followed over the past week has been one tweak flight after the next until the model was dialed in to my taste. Zach first took the sticks two days ago under the lights at the mall parking lot. We have a great deal of work to do before he solos but I think he is catching on quick.

I have been secretly sneaking his plane out with me to work so I can fly before, on break, at lunch, and after work.... and I am having a blast.... Our little plane we hacked together can fly at just over walking speed and seems to be incapable of breaking 15mph in a full power dive.... (I have been trying to break it but can't get enough energy into a maneuver to fail the wings).
Stevens AeroModel is offline Find More Posts by Stevens AeroModel
Last edited by arenablimp; Feb 13, 2004 at 06:13 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2004, 03:18 AM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,362 Posts
another
Last edited by arenablimp; Feb 13, 2004 at 03:20 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2004, 03:21 AM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,362 Posts
Nitro Engine Detail
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,935 Posts
Oh for heaven's sake! That's pretty cute.....

What's the motor - an LPS of some sort?
BEC is online now Find More Posts by BEC
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,362 Posts
Profile View
Old Feb 13, 2004, 03:25 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,212 Posts
Ahh that thing looks like a blast for something to just walk around the yard with!

Any kits?
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Feb 13, 2004, 03:25 AM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,362 Posts
BEC,

I am using the LPS-B2C C Ratio and 7x6 prop.
I have also used the EDP-50XC for a more "buggy" sound.

The prototype flew well on both setups. Interestingly enough the fuse version only took on 2g in weight over the profile prototype using similar density wood.... I even got crazy with engine, wheel pants, strake, etc...

I like the B2C motor as it lets me fly for 10-15min (depending on how cold the lipos get in our balmy weather)... whereas the 50XC sucks down the juice for a buzzy 6-8min flight.

-Bill

Quote:
Originally posted by BEC
Oh for heaven's sake! That's pretty cute.....

What's the motor - an LPS of some sort?
Old Feb 13, 2004, 03:32 AM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,362 Posts
Tram,

Funny you might ask... I need to fly this one (give me another 45min or so and I'll run out to the KK parking lot) I am working on servo locations - tried to burry them in the fuse but the tail is too light without them aft of the wing. Anyways - the design / cut files are D-Bugged and the plans / instrux complete. I should have it wrapped up tomorrow... oh, and Zach said it was "ok" to kit his plane

-Bill
Old Feb 13, 2004, 03:36 AM
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,212 Posts
Haha.. That rocks that you and Zach are having so much fun! It's good to see a father play with his kids.. I can't wait to have my own..

However, I think this NEEDS to be kitted.. It sounds just like what I've been looking for..

There are lots of "slow flying" park flyers, but I have yet to find one that TRULY flew at or just above walking speed, even my slowstick was still faster than this... If it's slow enough for Zach to be trying his hand at flying in the dark, I think it's what I'm looking for..
Old Feb 13, 2004, 03:38 AM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,362 Posts
Here is what Zach and I have been flying for the last week - the design / test phase was completed with this utilitarian profile model.

Zach was off to bed early tonight and didn't see what I have been cooking up for him... tomorrow he will see the fuselage version

-Bill
Old Feb 13, 2004, 03:45 AM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,935 Posts
I need to show up at the Barn Owls/RAMS indoor meet on March 6th with one of these! I need someting new to go along with the Gym-E and the Tiny-X (and the TM).

That is just too cute (he says, repeating himself).

Longer wing version for Brandi?
BEC is online now Find More Posts by BEC
Old Feb 13, 2004, 03:46 AM
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,212 Posts
Man Bill.. Too much fun! I love the little guy..

What made you want to put the nitro flair to it?
Old Feb 13, 2004, 03:47 AM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,362 Posts
Tram,

What makes it work is how draggy the wing is (single surface undercambered)... I minimized the elevator surface area so he could bang the sticks and never get into trouble... there is enough elevator to change the attitude of the plane - climb - descend - flare but not enough to abruptly change the attitude inducing a violent stall... With full elevator and throttle you can really mush this thing along low and slow. The profile stick model was 2.6oz RTF this one is 2.75oz RTF - if you went RFFS and propped to a 6x5 with 130mah lipos you could get the weight down to well under 2oz and really float along.

The best part is flying within inches of your nose and making motor noises... that is unless you are running the 50XC... then it sounds like there is a little glow .010 in there.
Old Feb 13, 2004, 03:52 AM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,362 Posts
Quote:
Longer wing version for Brandi?
Hmm.. she already is asking where her plane is... I just stocked up on a few more plantraco recievers for myself so I could have two or three more variations on this theme ready to fly for Toledo.

There is enough wood left on the sheets to do a long wing... I'm not certain there is enough to do a poly wing though... I need to look at it to see if I can squeeze in a center section.

I'm kinda ashamed at how overbuilt this one is.. but given the circumstances (5 yr old at the sticks) I think it's justified.
We have smacked the ground a few times and lucky have sustained no more damage then scuffed wing tips... However he keeps me busy repairing gliders - at any one time he has one or two in need of repair.

-Bill
Old Feb 13, 2004, 03:54 AM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,362 Posts
Quote:
What made you want to put the nitro flair to it?
I got my start in 1/2A - it just seemed to fit the look I was going for - it is a sort of modern stab at old-timer flair.

-Bill