HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2004, 02:21 AM
lennokki.innoplaza.net
Finland
Joined Sep 2003
53 Posts
Homemade 4-transistor speed control

I have put the schematics and photos of an inexpensive and lightweight DC motor speed controller with 4 transistors and power fet to:

http://lennokki.innoplaza.net
J. Hartikka is offline Find More Posts by J. Hartikka
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2004, 02:47 AM
We want... Information!
Hastings, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2001
5,192 Posts
Bruce Abbott is offline Find More Posts by Bruce Abbott
Old Jan 20, 2004, 03:12 AM
lennokki.innoplaza.net
Finland
Joined Sep 2003
53 Posts
Hello Bruce,

I see you have very interesting and advanced ESC circuit and PPM decoder on your page http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/bha...ectronics.html

That is how I would make them if I were sharp enough with microcontrollers...

Regards,

- Juha -
Old Jan 29, 2004, 04:20 AM
lennokki.innoplaza.net
Finland
Joined Sep 2003
53 Posts
First ESC of a junior builder!

This speed control was made using the above 4-transistor schematic as the first independent electronic building project of a junior builder.

He made it without any model of component layout. The result is a 'matchbox' type controller. Lightweight, works well and parts did not cost anything - congratulations for the builder!
Old Jan 29, 2004, 09:56 AM
Arlington,VA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,862 Posts
I've done "matchbox" circuits before and found that conservative amounts of goop or heat-glue can really firm it up. The weight penalty is minimal (less than the box).

Pullin'
pullin-gs is offline Find More Posts by pullin-gs
Old Apr 17, 2007, 12:48 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1 Posts
ya i have just started in the rc thing and i am doing a school project i was wondering if you would make an esc from scratch if you have been doing this for about 4 months now? cuz it looks hard
thecoolkidjoe is offline Find More Posts by thecoolkidjoe
Old Apr 17, 2007, 02:56 PM
homo ludens modellisticus
The Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
10,923 Posts
Added to this brushed controller designs compilation:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190829

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
diy motor building tips & tricks
diy brushless motor discussion group
Drive Calculator download & discussion group
int. E fly-in & diy outrunner meet, Aug.26 2007, Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
Old Apr 17, 2007, 03:08 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
Hmm It relies on a fixed PRF for accuracy...which you don't always get on a tranny.

Still a brave effort, and something that COULD be adapted rather nicely for ultra small motors on single LIPO cells.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Jul 19, 2007, 11:17 PM
Good glue is evil
melbourne australia
Joined Sep 2003
774 Posts
whats PRF
pulse repetition frequency ????
brucej is offline Find More Posts by brucej
Old Jan 13, 2009, 04:27 PM
lennokki.innoplaza.net
Finland
Joined Sep 2003
53 Posts
Low and High Freq ESC's

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucej
whats PRF
pulse repetition frequency ????
This is a low frequency ESC. It uses the same pulse frequency as the RC transmitter, which is about 30 ... 50 Hz.

The low frequency PWM tends to tremble smallest brushed motors like the GWS Pico motor, but 350 class and bigger motors run quite smooth with it thanks to their bigger rotating mass.

High pulse freq ESC's are easier to make with microcontrollers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage1
Hmm It relies on a fixed PRF for accuracy...which you don't always get on a tranny.

Still a brave effort, and something that COULD be adapted rather nicely for ultra small motors on single LIPO cells.
You are correct, this really is no accuracy circuit, but it runs nice once trimmed it to used transmitter. 2 channel tx's have a little higher pulse rep freq than 6 ch tx's, for instance, so I must trim the esc a bit if I change to a different tx. But it has worked quite well and it really is lightweight.

Recently, I have got nice tiny Atmel's AT90LS2343 chips, which seem need practically no extra components to read servo pulse and drive the power mosfet of a high freq ESC. So, it could make a still lighter ESC for microflyers than this 4 tranny one..!

Alas, I have no experience of making programs to microcontrollers. Anybody give a beginner advice how to make the 2343 measure servo pulse width and save it as a variable for calculating PWM output..?

- Juha -
Last edited by J. Hartikka; Jan 13, 2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 08:41 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,215 Posts
Juha,

You might find the DIY (Do It Yourself) forum here interesting and a good place to find the answer to your question:

http://www.rcgroups.com/diy-electronics-199/

In fact, I'm sure the people over there would find your project interesting and they could also provide you with an interesting discussion about it.

You might want to post the same thing there.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Jan 22, 2010, 05:37 AM
Joined Jul 2009
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Hartikka View Post
I have put the schematics and photos of an inexpensive and lightweight DC motor speed controller with 4 transistors and power fet to:

http://lennokki.innoplaza.net

i build the controller but an getting direct power to the motor even when switching the power off please help

dd
south africa
dennisdaws is offline Find More Posts by dennisdaws
Old Jan 22, 2010, 05:45 AM
lennokki.innoplaza.net
Finland
Joined Sep 2003
53 Posts
Hi DD!

Your power fet obviously keeps conducting when it is not supposed to.

Check:

- Mosfet polarity. If source and drain are reversed it will conduct all the time.

- Mosfet gate voltage? If it has zero volts, it should not conduct. If 2 ... 5 volts it should conduct and power up the motor.
Last edited by J. Hartikka; Jan 22, 2010 at 06:05 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 04:57 PM
Greece
Joined Nov 2009
443 Posts
What?
Without pcb?
AL3xGR is offline Find More Posts by AL3xGR
Old Jan 24, 2010, 04:57 AM
lennokki.innoplaza.net
Finland
Joined Sep 2003
53 Posts
PCB is heaviest part of the circuit

Sure, unnecessary parts are left out..! Leaving the heaviest part out of the circuit - the circuit board. This cuts the circuit weight to less than half. This is of course desirable for featherweight flying models.

The electricity does not mind the missing PCB. It flows directly from one component contact to another quite as well as with the PC board acting as intermediary.

If the weight of the circuit is not critical using a PC board will of course make the circuit more rugged.