HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2003, 09:20 PM
Chris
Sullivan, MO
Joined Dec 2003
39 Posts
Yippee!
Aerohawk newbie-First flights and impressions

Hello all, I've been diligently reading through this forum for the last few months and finally broke down and bought an Aerohawk. Not the most popular choice I know, but found one with the extras at a good price and thought I'd try it. Mine has the GWS componants and transmitter, and came with the usual spare parts and heatsinks on both motors. I'm a fullsize airplane/helicopter pilot and mechanic, and have flown RC airplanes for 16 years, though not much in the last 4.
Anyway, I got it yesterday and looked it over, seems nicely built, but reminded me of a plastic model, lots of flashing on all the plastic parts. The head was very ratchety from this, as were the ball joints. I dissasembled the head and carefully removed all the flashing and polished the ball joints with 600 paper untill everything was tight, but moved smoothly. I took a little pen oiler with some very light oil in it and put a tiny drop on everything that moved. I thought the main gear mesh was too tight and adjusted it. After what I read, I already ordered a shaft collar and swashplate ball, hope it's here soon. I centered the flybar as best I could and didn't touch the main blades except sand the sharp edges off a little.
I flew it today in the hangar where I work. I put the training legs on it without the balls and skidded it around a little and tried to trim it. First couple of times I got it off, it shook, so I tightened the blades. After reading the articles here about it flying better out of ground effect, I spun it up, and nailed it up to 2 or 3 feet, and it is much easier. It flew smoothly and I didn't see any noticable shake, although I plan to do a proper track and balance. Within 3 flights I could keep it in a 15 foot area regularly. On the third pack while the battery was fresh, I climbed it to probably 10 feet for a few seconds, so power seems good and I wasn't wide open. No crashes yet!!! I'm impressed with the little thing and think it has great potential and I'm having a ball so far. The gyro seems to work very well with little or no swing so far, and all my trims are centered, and it's close enough for succesful flights so far. Can't wait to try it again tomorrow!!
I do have a question though, I recall people charging their batterys with the stock wall charger for 1 1/2 or so untill they got warm, I left one on for a little longer than that, and it still felt room temperature. How long are some of you charging these?? I want to get a decent quick charger as the stock charger isn't much good if you want to fly very often.
Anyway, I hope to be an active member here, and I'll post updates if anyone is interested. Thanks for reading and happy flying!!!!
Chris
PT13Pilot is offline Find More Posts by PT13Pilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2003, 05:25 AM
Joined Nov 2003
6 Posts
It pays of to taking such a metodic aproach to flying these helis, they take atleast as much tinkering as large helis and that is often taken to lightly on by people buying it, it should fly like you describe if propperly set up. Charging might take as long as 3 hours
Stoffer76 is offline Find More Posts by Stoffer76
Old Dec 19, 2003, 06:51 AM
Chris
Sullivan, MO
Joined Dec 2003
39 Posts
I see what you mean about the tinkering, always something to do while the batteries are charging!! I have a quick charger and another battery pack coming, gotta practice! I checked the mail last night and my collar and swashplate ball came, can't wait to put them on and give it a try.
Thanks for the input on the battery charging, I'll try to charge them longer today and see if that helps.
Old Dec 19, 2003, 06:57 AM
coventry uk
Joined Nov 2002
824 Posts
hi
my aerohawk's waiting at the post office ready to be picked up so after reading this i will strip it down and give it the once over, looks like i got it customs free as well [from hong kong, ebay].

regards

t.nollett
t.nollett is offline Find More Posts by t.nollett
Old Dec 19, 2003, 07:05 AM
Joined Nov 2003
6 Posts
Dont think that much about the actuall charging time, when its pleasently warm to the touch its about full, what damages ni-mh cells when overcharging is the heat it produces that may punkcture the cells and break down the internal components. The collar wont do that much for other than being extremly practical as you wont have to worry about the rubber tube sliding down. The swashball is a nice improvement if installed properly, be sure to make the hole the right size, if you drill out the hole to large it wont be accurate, to tight and it will hamper movement of the ball and also the head. Ive tried lots of other mods, but i will say the improvement is minimal,, lipo batteries and a larger motor is a nice improvement but pricy.
Stoffer76 is offline Find More Posts by Stoffer76
Old Dec 19, 2003, 07:21 AM
Chris
Sullivan, MO
Joined Dec 2003
39 Posts
I'll just try charging untill the packs warm up a little then. I found a site selling replacement parts cheap, so I ordered 2 more main motors $5, already have extra tail motors, just want to fly for now. Although a better motor later sounds like a worthy upgrade. I'll be careful installing the swash ball, it is definately tiny. I'm going to make my own head stiffener as it's too cheap not to try. Any other helpful hints greatly appreciated.
CJ
Old Dec 19, 2003, 10:58 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,456 Posts
PT13Pilot,
Welcome, ezone is a great community. I'm new to heli's also and am having great fun with my piccolo. I love to hear peoples experiences, insites, and lessons learned. Keep us informed, pictures are always good too.
Art Newland is offline Find More Posts by Art Newland
Old Dec 19, 2003, 02:52 PM
coventry uk
Joined Nov 2002
824 Posts
just learned a lesson, i had no batterys for the suplied gws transmitter so i used my evo, set it to channel 82 as per the gws
and connected the battery to the hawk. big mistake i had been suplied with a 40 mhz heli instead of 35mhz and boy do them blades hurt when they hit as it went to full power with the servos kicking any way no damage to the heli just my pride lucky i had a spare gws reciever on 35mhz, also there is no info on the box/manual or gws rx/tx that tells you the suplied frequency. i found it on the rx crystal after cutting away the shrink wrap.

t.nollett
Old Dec 19, 2003, 08:20 PM
Chris
Sullivan, MO
Joined Dec 2003
39 Posts
Well had a full day with the new heli today. Got four good battery packs worth, so 8 flights total so far and no major crashes. I installed the swashplate ball and shaft collar and noticed a pleasant difference, a bit more responsive and more controllable. I also found somthing I overlooked the first time I had the head apart and may be worth checking into for other aerohawk owners. Where the linkages come up from the swashplate, through the head and connect to the fly bar, I found the holes they run through were not cut out enough. I found they caused binding from about half throw and got worse as they travel full limits. I made the cutout slightly bigger and solved that too. I also made my own head stiffener, but didn't get to fly, out of charged batteries. Where the edges of the head have slight recessed areas on both sides top and bottom, I used some small piano wire about the same size as the recessed areas and bent and beveled them to fit the contours. On the top where the mount for the fly bar is, I simply drilled through the bottom of it and installed the wire on top too. I CA'ed it in place, then covered the whole thing with 2 part plastic welder, (Man, do I love that stuff!), and trimmed it when dry. With 4 points of extra strenth, I can hardly bend it by hand, and the head seems a whole lot stronger. See the first picture, the picture isn't great, but you get the idea, should have taken one before I laid the welder to it.
Thanks for all the replies, I sure do enjoy this site!!!!
Old Dec 19, 2003, 08:23 PM
Chris
Sullivan, MO
Joined Dec 2003
39 Posts
And the second picture is of the heli flying in the hangar. I took the training gear off and it flies much better. Hope to have some better pictures soon, this one turned out dark and got grainy when I lightened it.
CJ
Old Dec 19, 2003, 08:59 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,212 Posts
I think your Otter? is a bit tail heavy.
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Dec 19, 2003, 09:16 PM
Chris
Sullivan, MO
Joined Dec 2003
39 Posts
It's just being pushed down by my rotorwash!!! Actually it sits on a little trailer when in the hangar. Our bifold doors waste a lot of usable height, and she wouldn't fit under the door unless you put it up on the trailer and with the tail skid about 6 inches off the ground, it clears the beacon on the tail by maybe 6 inches. It works, but is kind of a pain for the pilots
Old Dec 19, 2003, 09:49 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,212 Posts
Ahh, that's def. different.
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Dec 25, 2003, 09:32 AM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
Chris, could you provide more info on the upgrade swash parts and shaft collar, like why they are needed and where to get the right parts? A link to a website perhaps?

I have an Aerohawk on it's way to me as we speak, and I suppose that if they're good upgrades to have, I might as well get them on order too.

I figured asking here might save me the time of looking through a dozen other threads to find the info.

Rick
ElectRick is offline Find More Posts by ElectRick
Old Dec 27, 2003, 01:55 PM
coventry uk
Joined Nov 2002
824 Posts
took my aero hawk to the indoor meeting to day and was sliding all around the floor when an old heli pro came up and offered to help, he then poceeded to adjust the trim/ posision of battery pack then proceeded to fly it 6' off the ground where he finnished triming it. i'm using 3s etec 1200's as the weight helps keep it stable and it has more than enought power, i have the dd rear rota so it spools up fast i was a bit nervous as he said don't mess about just hit half throttle so it gets to eye leavel and use the tail to keep it in place, the servos were set to 50% with 80% expo
and it flys great, just need practice in making it fly forward as it picked up speed quickly in the hall and tended to get away from me, at which i droped it to the floor, it turned into an afternoon of hops across the gym. just need to find a place to practice as our club only flys indoors once a month. well at least its trimed now

t.n