SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 12, 2003, 06:59 PM
It's a spiderweb of knit lines
Souderton Pa. USA
Joined Mar 2002
2,645 Posts
7.5mm brushless motor

This is my first BLDC motor with my own windings in it. I used large wire to prove the concept, that's why it's 7.5mm. Next try will come out closer to 6mm.
Mike
mcross is offline Find More Posts by mcross
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2003, 10:36 PM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
sweet Brushless where is the third wire?
AIR MOVER is offline Find More Posts by AIR MOVER
Old Nov 12, 2003, 10:53 PM
United States, VA, Clintwood
Joined Nov 2002
3,666 Posts
Nice.
How did you wind the coils?

Billy
billystiltner is offline Find More Posts by billystiltner
Old Nov 13, 2003, 05:47 AM
Souderton Pa. USA
Joined Mar 2002
2,645 Posts
AIR MOVER
There are acually all 6 wires coming out the back of this motor so I could run it as Y and Delta.

Billy
The winding is done similar to a coreless pager. The coils are put on a piece of tape and then wrapped around a mold. Technically it is a Brushless, Sensorless, Slotless, DC Motor.

Mike
Old Nov 13, 2003, 06:27 AM
United States, VA, Clintwood
Joined Nov 2002
3,666 Posts
Do you have a diagram of how they are wound?
I would like to rewind some of my broken ones with a different guage wire and different resistance.

Billy
billystiltner is offline Find More Posts by billystiltner
Old Nov 14, 2003, 12:00 AM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
sweet so you have them in two bundels of three gotcha man that must have been some tough doing with the wires being so small.. are you going to gear it or DD the motor? what are you going to do about a esc for this?
AIR MOVER is offline Find More Posts by AIR MOVER
Old Nov 14, 2003, 06:00 AM
Souderton Pa. USA
Joined Mar 2002
2,645 Posts
AIR MOVER
Once I worked out the process it was relatively easy. I won't do anything with this one, it is way too hot and was only intended to prove the process. The next couple will be winding development, it may be some time until I have one to try on a plane. ESC I make will be on-off, however the motor will work with commercial BLDC ESCs. For a little more about the ESC I intend to build see Billy's thread on Micro Bushless Controllers.
Mike
Old Nov 14, 2003, 09:31 AM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,430 Posts
Mike,
It sounds like you are doing good work. I know about working out the process. Keep it up.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Nov 14, 2003, 06:51 PM
Souderton Pa. USA
Joined Mar 2002
2,645 Posts
Greebe
I guess if I "fed" it 3 phase AC at 5 or 6 volts it would run. So it must be an AC motor. Oh well,
back to the drawing board
Mike
Old Nov 14, 2003, 07:22 PM
Sticky Shepherd
Oxford/England
Joined May 2001
4,017 Posts
I'm interested in the winding process is sounds like you make a flat coil and then make it form a tube by rolling but that isn't quite the same as a pager is it as that doesn't have a seam or have I got this all wrong and you wind around(and through) a cylinder?

What about French knitting or braiding a winding

Graham
Graham Stabler is offline Find More Posts by Graham Stabler
Old Nov 15, 2003, 01:10 AM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,387 Posts
Quote:
Yeah I catch myself calling them DC motors too at times. Funny how they're driven by an amplifier without ground reference from a DC source that messes with our heads so easily
AC motors operate on fixed frequency sine wave voltage sources. This is not the case with our Brushless DC motors.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old Nov 15, 2003, 06:31 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
All motors operate on AC. A commutator is a mechanical inverter, reversing the polarity of the windings as it switches.

You are all correct.

Don't feel bad, we have the same debate in the industrial world. Brushless DC = Permanent Magnet AC...
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Nov 15, 2003, 05:11 PM
Souderton Pa. USA
Joined Mar 2002
2,645 Posts
Winding diagram

Here is a very crude drawing of the way I make the windings for my BLDC motors. I believe most coreless pagers are done flat and then rolled around the comutator piece. All the 6 or 7 I took apart had a slight gap or misalighment at one of the termination points.

Each phase contains 2 coils wound in opposite directions. There are 3 phases. The first is highlighted in pink on the sketch. The second is highlighted in yellow. The third is not highlighted.
When wrapped around the mold, the two coils from each phase are 180 degrees apart. Coils can be made in many ways, I wind them on an arbor the appropriate diameter and tie them with thread. The different diameters for the three phases is only for clarity on the diagram.
Mike
Old Nov 15, 2003, 05:26 PM
Souderton Pa. USA
Joined Mar 2002
2,645 Posts
Here is a winding and the mold. The mold diameter is suficient to clear a magnet from a coreless pager motor. The pin sticking out the mold is the diameter to press fit the bearings from the same pager motor that gave up the magnet. The winding is normally not removed after taping to the mold but this one is no good.
With the winding taped on the mold back iron must be added. Rings made from a magnetic metal are best, but I don't have any. I have been using sheet metal wrapped around the winding in two layers. I then wrap some thread around the motor for a little extra strength and coat with epoxy.
Cover with shrink tube and let cure.
Old Nov 15, 2003, 05:32 PM
Souderton Pa. USA
Joined Mar 2002
2,645 Posts
After molding with shrink tube removed.