HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 28, 2003, 01:42 PM
Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2002
1,614 Posts
Flat plate jet wanna-be's

Just a bit off-topic, but someone out there should remember seeing this article in one of the hobby magazines (FM, RCM, MAN, MAC)...

I've been digging through my files of old magazine articles (future projects or ideas), looking for an article about making electric pusher aircraft using flat plates of balsa or foam-core to create them. I did come across one note on a similar concept that said that it may have been published in Flying Models.

I can almost visualize the article (about two pages with a plan). The fuselage is a open rectangle structure with the batteries, radio, servoes and motor in fore-aft sequence, with a profile nose and the wings located on the top of the fuselage. The motors were Speed 400's.

The reason that it does stick in my mind is that one of the models is an Avro Arrow (being a Canadian modeller) as well as a Gloster Javelin and I think a F-15 Eagle.

Thanks in advance!
byrocat is offline Find More Posts by byrocat
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2003, 01:50 PM
My cat up close
England
Joined Feb 2001
4,021 Posts
My Buccaneer pusher has a flat plate wing,and works surprisingly well.(surprised me!)
There is a video to dowload if you want to see it.They seem to work great.Nigel Hawes Hunter and BAe Hawk has a flat plate section too.

Sorry I can't help with the article though.

Matt
bipeflyer is offline Find More Posts by bipeflyer
Old Aug 28, 2003, 03:48 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
I can tell you one of the planes and the model though. It's the electric arrow 400 pusher. It's a Delta plate wing pusher, cheap easy to build, flat out hauls-*** and heres a link to the site who sells it.

www.soy.on.ca/arrow.html

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Aug 28, 2003, 03:49 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
And Matt is nigel done with doing hunters?

Barry
Old Aug 28, 2003, 04:36 PM
Old school newb
Iraq
Joined Feb 2001
840 Posts
funny you mention that, I just finished an F3 version of a mirage (supposed to be a 2000 ) and it looks really cool, but I haven't flown it yet.
PunkerTFC is offline Find More Posts by PunkerTFC
Old Aug 28, 2003, 04:45 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
share the pics! I love Mirages, can't ever see enough of them. and I always wanted to try that electric arrow as a bottom winger like a mirage. My next little pusher Mirage definatly gets a plate wing.

Barry
Old Aug 28, 2003, 04:57 PM
My cat up close
England
Joined Feb 2001
4,021 Posts
Not sure Barry...the Hunter was a free plan in RCM&E a while back,seemed to be a popular model,mainly,I guess,because of it's simplicity.
Nigel advocates the use of a 1/4" thick sheet wing,I used 3/16" on the Bucc,seems to work ok though.

Matt

Just remembered,there was a guy called Alex Weiss who designed quite a few all sheet semi scale ic prop jets in the mid '80's,and there was some discission regarding the efficiencies of these plate wings.
He must have been onto something,as he designed F-15,SEPECAT Jaguar,and some others I can't remember,he stuck with the formula.

Those thin section wings are very fast though
bipeflyer is offline Find More Posts by bipeflyer
Last edited by bipeflyer; Aug 28, 2003 at 05:01 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 05:56 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,592 Posts
Hi Guys,

Why not put a leading edge that is controlled by a servo like flaps, droop the leading edge on the fly mix in some elevator to counter the angle of attack change and voila a cambered wing.

Cheers,

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Aug 28, 2003, 08:16 PM
Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2001
1,292 Posts
Has anyone flown the arrow? I have that kit sitting around here somewhere
Mikey-flies is offline Find More Posts by Mikey-flies
Old Aug 29, 2003, 03:31 AM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
I have one and it's a rocket. I actually like it best on a 480 BB with KR 1400 nicads. It's light, cheap, and darn fast. That was the first truly wicked fast plane I ever owned and the first time I flew it in my local small school yard I almost had a hart attack cause I was not ready for it. It was either fly it at 200 feet and not see it occasionally behind some trees. Or start trying to circle it down into the pocket I was flying in now before the battery runs out! Took me about 1 minutes to get it into the pocket where I landed it in the middle of a pine tree, and was more than happy to take that. Gotta understand, this was right after flying a stock Wattage Mirage, it was fun in hind sight though. I dropped to my knees pale faced and my buddy dropped to the ground laughing. And come to think of it this plane gave me grief yet again later. First time I flew it with BL I was doing a fast hard knife edge when the prop flew off and the plane yanked the opposite way right into a small forest. took 2 days( not straight ofcourse) to find it.

Barry
Old Aug 29, 2003, 09:23 AM
Landkey, Devon, England.
Joined Jul 2003
826 Posts
Hi guys

I,ve used flat plate successfully four times now, once with Nigels Hawk and on my own designs Spit, A7 Corsair and MB339.

(By the way for anyone who so my 339 fly, or should I say stagger around the sky at Woodspring electric, the problem turned out to be a faulty pack which was like flying on 6 cells instead of 8.)

Flat plate wings are not efficient and as Matt says they operate best at speed. If you want real good low speed handling in a model then stay away from them, but in the small faster types like pusher jets they work fine.

I thought I was taking a chance using flat plate on my Spit but it goes really well at all speeds.

Cheers
Ron

ps The Buccaneer looks great Matt.
Ron Laden is offline Find More Posts by Ron Laden
Old Aug 29, 2003, 03:27 PM
Stockport, UK
Joined Sep 2001
458 Posts
Flat Plate

Hey Ron

Any chance we will see your MB339 in Q&EFI? Your A7 is in the pile of plans I MUST build honest guv!

I've used a flat plat on my Kwite Kwik Pike class 400 racer and really am quite impressed, and surprised. It is quite quick on seven cells and a 6v motor, even hauling 184 sqin of wing around. Handling is very benign and the glide is good so I'm definitiely thinking of doing some more flat plate designs. Maybe the Hawes Hawk and oh yes the A7

Cheers

Ian
Ian Dale is offline Find More Posts by Ian Dale
Old Aug 29, 2003, 05:29 PM
Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2002
1,614 Posts
Arrow flat plate

There's a kit kicking around A&J's in Unionville for some time. I'll take a look at it.

I did find a photocopy of the FM plans -- 2001(C) on the plans. Anyone want to take a quick look in their FM collection for "Flat Plate Tecktonics".

Thanks...

Object for this weekend -- fly the hatch=eeee-two-hockeysticks out of my P-51 Fun scale fighter. Summer's over and I ahven't done more than chuck it around the field a couple times.
byrocat is offline Find More Posts by byrocat
Old Aug 29, 2003, 06:23 PM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
I use solid sheet balsa all the time for wings.. just sand out a high speed airfoil doesnt take long by hand.. the plus is a thin airfoil for high speed aplications .. I have used the gws50 fan with the larger wing and it flew fast . thats what I was looking for.
AIR MOVER is offline Find More Posts by AIR MOVER
Old Aug 29, 2003, 06:29 PM
2014 EDF JET JAM We be Jamming
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,809 Posts
This is an interesting thread as had planned on using a type of plate on my MiG-25.
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox