HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2001, 08:19 PM
steve neill
n/a Posts
2 day wonder- scratched another one

Nothing to do over the weekend and I always wanted to try this. This plane is cut
and folded and makes a nice airfoil if you do it right. The idea came from the old
Pibros plans, but as you can see I changed it a bit. The length and span are slightly
changed from the original to make it have more sex appeal.
I went to the art store and bought some 1/8 foam board and stripped off the paper
and you have Dapron. This material is a breeze to work with and sands as well as
balsa, maybe better.
Unpainted it's AUW is 14 0z. Specs are:

32 inch span
19 1/2 inch length
354 inches of wing area
better than 7 oz. per sq. ft. loading

sp 300
MP BB 3:1 gear box with a 8x6 APC prop
7 600 Nimh
Jamara 5 amp ESC

Tested the CG glider today and found that the CG had moved from the original
placement because I increased the length by an inch and a half. After shifting the
weight a bit, the little glider flew very well.
Guys check me on the CG would you? You have the dimensions there. My original
math showed the CG further aft. I may be off on the MAC of this platform. Once I
get the CG right I'll give her a try this week.
Steve
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2001, 09:44 PM
Old Timer
CARMICHAEL, CALIFORNIA USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,903 Posts
CG

If the wing section is symetrical it should balance at 50% of the root chord. If it is flat a bottom airfoil you might move it about 1/2 foreward.

Eut
California Condor is offline Find More Posts by California Condor
Old Oct 15, 2001, 10:06 PM
steve neill
n/a Posts
Bottom is flat with entry. Your right about the 50% and a little forward, that's just behind the red dots ( those are the plans CG location ). This checks out with the scaled down toss glider. It flies best there. Thank you!
Steve
Old Oct 16, 2001, 01:35 AM
T-52 over Seattle
Seattle
Joined Jun 2001
267 Posts
Wow! It looks like a Dapron Mugi! I'd love to see some construction photos.

(Darn! So many fun planes, so little time!)

Silver
Silver is offline Find More Posts by Silver
Old Oct 16, 2001, 02:39 AM
steve neill
n/a Posts
Silver,
Thanks. I didn't take any construction photo's this time. But it's pretty easy to do. I'm planing on a larger version for EDF with blended twin nacelles.
I posted this same thread in the jets section. Dan Savage double checked me on the CG too and made this up in CAD. So I feel safe with the CG. Flight is next.
Steve
Old Oct 16, 2001, 07:06 AM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Stever, I am also making one of these crafts only, going to use
3/8 inch fan fold foam found at Lowe's or Home Depot. Wing
will be roughly 32.5 inches wide (less elevons) and each side
is about 22.5 inches. Speed 400 with zagi prop in front.
Either two verts aft or one larger vert aft. There are different
ways to make delta wing craft. I plan on mine with a center
piece down the middle to hold the servos and esc. Deltas are very cool looking! Yours looks awesome! I hope it flies just as
good as it looks!

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Old Oct 16, 2001, 02:48 PM
steve neill
n/a Posts
Thanks Dave. I'm going to use this as a test bed towards the building of a twin mini fan EDF. I love delta's too! Had an Enforcer for years, f-106 and others. Good luck with your birds too!
Steve Neill
Old Oct 18, 2001, 11:27 PM
steve neill
n/a Posts
Flew the plane today for the first time. Pete came to the field to assist in the hand
launch and moral support. Thank you Pete! It was great to have a fellow E Zoner there.
First hand launch was flat and level and it went straight into the ground. My first
thought was that it's too nose heavy, but I really didn't have enough deflection in the
elevon's for one and wasn't ready for such a quick decent.. There was a little dent in
the nose but that was all. So we went for it again, this time aiming the plane at bit
more towards the sky and bingo, she was off.
Nice and straight, easy climb. Turns were smooth, the whole thing felt very stable. I
was flying on elevator and couldn't achieve pitch trim though. I flew around for a
while and landed easy, real easy.
Took it back to the pits and adjusted the control horns to give me more reflex at 0.
Moved the battery back a bit. Second launch was nice and easy, she climbed out
nice, even though the new pack wasn't putting out quite the R's the previous one had.
On the first turn I new it was flying better. It trimmed this time and could hold level
flight hands off. The second landing was even better and almost at my feet.
This plane is a joy to fly and well worth the weekend I spent building it. I am going
to start tonight the planning of it's bigger brother with two mini fans.
I want to thank Dan Savage, Kevin Cox, and Condor
for their help and input. Dan the CG is right where it's marked on your last graphic.
Dan and Daren, I'm going to turn this into the Aurora with B-2 style nacelles, paint job is a
worry though, aren't those black op planes black? I'd like to keep it white. It's easy
to see.
Building the test bed was the way to go. Now when I build the next one I know exactly what
I'm dealing with, plus I ended up with a great little plane to fly!
Steve
Old Oct 19, 2001, 09:07 AM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Good to hear it flies good! Your LE on the wing, it looks to be
sanded at a 45 degee angle? I plan on doing that when I do mine. Battery will be held on the bottom. That will be the challenge. Mounting the battery so it stays on rather than dangling.

Dave...
Old Oct 19, 2001, 03:43 PM
steve neill
n/a Posts
Dave thanks. There's no need to put the battery under the wing. There's lots of room on top, even without the canopy.
The LE is not sanded but folded. Go to the jets section and I have a thread there
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...008#post110357
that has links to other sites that show the construction process, here's one.
http://www.rc-soar.com/pibros/index.htm
You'll see what I mean.
Steve
Old Oct 19, 2001, 09:53 PM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Thanx Steve. I also found the Mugi site as well. Boy, these crafts look way too cool!!! I can get the paper sheeted foam from a craft store near here. I will have to look at what sizes I can scarf.

Dave...
Old Oct 19, 2001, 10:00 PM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Thanx Steve. I also found the Mugi site as well. Boy, these crafts look way too cool!!! I can get the paper sheeted foam from a craft store near here. I will have to look at what sizes I can scarf.

Dave...
Old Oct 19, 2001, 10:25 PM
Go Dawgs!!!!!!!
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,813 Posts
Steve,

You gotta stop scratching those things, they will get infected!!!!

JK, it looks great!!! Glad to hear it flew well....how bout a full construction article, or at least some details, either here or on your site?

Later,
David
David Hogue is online now Find More Posts by David Hogue
RCG Plus Member