HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 05, 2003, 09:43 AM
Fairfield Pa
Joined Jul 2003
42 Posts
tough foldable tigermoth

This is my first attempt at posting a picture. I've found these mods have worked well for combat and easy transport.
Also easier to build.

1.Tail mod. Thin wire glued and taped. Elevator cut to allow more rudder movement.
2.Tail wheel using half a “Klett” hinge. Wire is pinched between control horn.
3.Landing gear mod. Reinforced tape is wrapped as shown. By taping the gear, flexing is reduced and the gear no longer breaks the fuselage. Also, the gear is removable.
4.A piece of bidirectional fiberglass tape is wrapped around the bottom of the fuselage and up both sides to surround the wing dowels at both front and rear dowel locations. This prevents the dowels from being ripped out by the wings. The front tape also encloses the gear opening. Holes are punched through the tape for dowels and a single slit is cut for the gear. The gear is held in by the tape only. Rubber bands are permanently taped to the rear dowels.
5.˝” wide bidirectional tape is applied around the leading and trailing edge of the lower wing. This forms the hinge for folding.
6.A simple tab with a pin or plastic bolt is glued to one side. A plastic washer with a hole is glued to the other wing. The bolt simply pops in place at the correct dihedral angle. This is used for negative loading also. The single thread handles all positive loads.(13)
7.Lower wing shown folded. The bolt pops in place automatically. To fold, the tab is simply lifted
8.Upper wing is taped in a similar manner to lower wing.
9.The tape allows folding and also supports the rubber bands that attach the upper wing.
10.Slots for taping the outer struts.
11.The tape is applied to the struts and then a flat plastic “needle” pulls the tape through a slot punched through the wing.
12.The strut is shown taped in place with bidirectional tape. This allows the wings to fold and is much stronger and lighter than gluing.
13.Upper and lower wing fold in process. Note the single positive load thread. This is attached to the upper front of the outer struts.
14.Center struts. Struts are taped to the fuselage with foam tape. Super glue is applied around the edge. The foam tape helps to absorb impact loads. The wing rods are taped to the struts with ˝” reinforced tape. The rubber bands are held on permanently to the rear dowel with a small piece of heat shrink electrical tubing and super glue.
15.Ready for transport. Note use of J3 cub cowl. The 2 piece moth cowl is not pleasant to work with. Could a slightly extended one piece cub type cowl be made for less?
16.3 cell Kokam 640ma LiPo. Hovers with a 10-47. Just waiting for a GWS brushless

A modification not shown is the wooden motor mount. I drill an 1/8” hole straight through the whole length and glue in a fiberglass or carbon rod.

Also the 9-7 prop is especially weak due to the sharp junction at the hub. I found that smearing a fillet using “goop” urethane adhesive makes a big difference. I have not broken one since doing this, even on concrete.
Also drill the control horns to allow more motion.

Cheers
Mike Waters is offline Find More Posts by Mike Waters
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2003, 10:29 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Cool! Very nice work Mike. A whole bunch of new great ideas! I especially like the bidirectional tape on the wing joints, and the tail wheel.

If possible could you post a larger pic of your tailwheel mod?

Wayne
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Aug 05, 2003, 06:12 PM
Mississauga, Ontario
Joined Mar 2003
696 Posts
Nifty tricks! I haven't had to think up any ways to collapse my TM. BTW, do you own a new Mini?

Nice tailwheel, but i especially like the paintjob!
The Max-Q is offline Find More Posts by The Max-Q
Old Aug 06, 2003, 08:20 AM
Hiigaran member
'on a mountian in New Hampshire
Joined Aug 2002
904 Posts
!
Lone Yankee is offline Find More Posts by Lone Yankee
Old Aug 06, 2003, 09:35 AM
Fairfield Pa
Joined Jul 2003
42 Posts
The collapsing part is to make it easier to fit on a plane.
Fits in a 26" x 12" x 6" box with transmitter.
I'll post a tailwheel shot soon.
Old Aug 06, 2003, 09:42 AM
Fairfield Pa
Joined Jul 2003
42 Posts
Hey, how do I post a picture in a reply?
Old Aug 06, 2003, 09:50 AM
Stockholm, Sweden
Joined Jul 2002
1,249 Posts
Wow!
That mod-puzzle must have taken some serious time to put together, and all for the benefit of us E-zoners...

Mike, let me add this to your landing gear mod, pic No.3:
Make a V-bend as seen in my picture, then you can remove it without having to disconnect the motor wires.

// Fredrik Wergeland
Sweden
www.flyingmodels.org
The Great Electric Motor Test
Fredrik W is offline Find More Posts by Fredrik W
Old Aug 06, 2003, 09:52 AM
Stockholm, Sweden
Joined Jul 2002
1,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Waters
Hey, how do I post a picture in a reply?
Just like when you add a picture to your original post. But if you attach a file and then click on "Preview Reply" the picture will not be added. Preview Reply first and when you are finished with the preview attach the picture before you click on Submit Reply.

// Fredrik Wergeland
Sweden
www.flyingmodels.org
The Great Electric Motor Test
Fredrik W is offline Find More Posts by Fredrik W
Old Aug 06, 2003, 10:22 AM
Go Forward, but Remember
Pawling NY
Joined Oct 2002
944 Posts
Those are some great ideas. It was tricky schlepping my moth down to Virginia to visit dad. The plane took the entire rear deck of the car. All you could see in the rear view mirror was Tigger waving at you .
reills is offline Find More Posts by reills
Old Aug 06, 2003, 11:41 AM
Fairfield Pa
Joined Jul 2003
42 Posts
Ok I'll try
Old Aug 06, 2003, 11:43 AM
Fairfield Pa
Joined Jul 2003
42 Posts
hope this works
Old Aug 06, 2003, 11:46 AM
Fairfield Pa
Joined Jul 2003
42 Posts
still doesn't show too well but the tail wire is bent through the Klett hinge and then back to be sandwiched between the control horn sides (which then needs a touch of glue).
Old Aug 06, 2003, 11:51 AM
Fairfield Pa
Joined Jul 2003
42 Posts
I like that bend in the landing gear. I had to dig out some foam instead.