HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 30, 2003, 07:25 PM
United States, MI, Lapeer
Joined Aug 2000
759 Posts
Power Supply (12V@13A) for Triton and other chargers

This powersupply I think was brought up before, but im still gona post this . I got it from ebay for a shipped total of about $26.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...gory=1502&rd=1 -- tell him you saw this link on the forum... if you get one too .

I got this power supply off ebay, altered my triton input cables a bit, by using a deans connector to remove them... allows me to use the gator clips to power the tirton with a field battery as well as use them as output leads to charge the field battery though this power supply. I also made my self a universal out put adapter... for various battery packs even though I only use deans on my Unicorn plane... I might need to charge some one elses pack one day... I also had to cut up a PC power cable to get the plug cord... if you get one ask if he has his newer version with plug and switch yet.
Draconious is offline Find More Posts by Draconious
Last edited by Draconious; Jun 30, 2003 at 07:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2003, 09:46 AM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,582 Posts
Got one yesterday. What did you use to connect the AC power cord to the PS? I'm going to get some crimp or solder spade terminals @ lunchtime.
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2003, 11:37 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Your lead for connecting with clips appears to be way too long, and of insufficient guage. When you try to charge at high rates using this adapter, you will probably experience a 'low input voltage' error.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jul 01, 2003, 02:47 PM
Joined Aug 2000
759 Posts
That clip lead is what came on the charger! (including the clips) I cut it off and put the Deans on it... the wire is part of the charger internaly... i would have to open it up and unsolder the wires to replace it and since I just bought the charger I opted not to do that . So the part hanging out of the charger on left is still that same wire...

Electrifly/GreatPlanes has a realy bad habbit of using thin wire insolation, the wire within the insolation is not that bad though...

I did get invalid voltage readings before, but I was only using a 1 AMP power supply, wich worked ok for one pack but was full of false peaks etc... thus I got this power supply have yet to see a input error yet...

I have small solder U type clips on the ends of all 5 wires attached to the PS... was a box of them in garage so i used a few.

The wire I added every were was 14gauge... my bana to universal adapter, and the powersupply to deans connector...

The triton lead with clips apears to be like 16gauge or someting... but its the same amount of wire as the 14 gauge, just less insolation...
Last edited by Draconious; Jul 01, 2003 at 02:52 PM.
Old Jul 01, 2003, 07:46 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,485 Posts
Here's my setup. The first two pictures are links to the Radio Shack web site. The two power supplies are normally used to power arcade video games. I have the two 5 volt, 15 amp outputs wired in series and adjusted to a little over 6 volts each. They can accomodate any load within the Triton's range.

When using two 5 volt supplies in series like this, it's important to make sure the field grounds are internally isolated from the logic grounds.
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
Old Jul 01, 2003, 08:51 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
I melted that same 12V accessory plug (available at radioshack with wire already installed) the first (and last) time I tried to peak charge a large capacity (2000RC) pack in my car.. The internal connections are thin metal 'springs' and they overheated quickly under 5A, even though the plug was rated for higher load.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jul 16, 2003, 03:55 AM
Joined Aug 2000
759 Posts
Well my set up works great... even after charging pack after pack at or over 2C the charger or PS hardly gets any warmer than it is just sitting doing nothing.
Old Jul 16, 2003, 09:05 PM
RIP "Long Shadow Flyer"
Upstate New York-- Rochester, NY USA
Joined Oct 2001
732 Posts
Thanks for the tip, ordered one of the power supplys today. Have just made up a box (external drive case) with 6 Radio Shack cigarette lighter chargers mounted in it. Radio Shack was blowing out these chargers for $.97, bought a bunch. The box has switches for changing the output from 8.4v to 9.8v each charger is independent to charge 6 packs at a time, any mix of li-ion, 6cell or 7 cell can be charged at the same tme. Was using a PC power supply (had the 5v load problem) but this supply will be much better.
Thanks again for the tip
Carl

Photo of my first charger for 4 li-ion single cells, uses 4 cigarette ligher chargers in an external drive case. Worked great last winter for my indoor flying... The new one is a bit larger with 6 chargers and switches...
crvogt is offline Find More Posts by crvogt
Old Jul 17, 2003, 01:04 PM
RIP "Long Shadow Flyer"
Upstate New York-- Rochester, NY USA
Joined Oct 2001
732 Posts
Wow couldn't belive it, but the Power Supply was in todays Mail!!
One Day Service, Awsome!!!!! Have hooked up the supply to my home brew charger and it is working like a charm, charging 6 batteries as I write this. Yipeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

Great Little power supply that is an industrial grade unit!!! The internals are very well heat sinked and vented....

The seller gives excelent service.... ( it helped a little we are in the same state and payment made by paypal), but he really did get it out right away!!!! Thanks

Carl
crvogt is offline Find More Posts by crvogt
Old Jul 18, 2003, 01:56 PM
Auburn, Alabama & Augusta, Georgia
Joined Jun 2003
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Miami Mike
When using two 5 volt supplies in series like this, it's important to make sure the field grounds are internally isolated from the logic grounds. [/B]
Mike,

This is very interesting... Could you be a little more specific on this.

I have several 5V industrial supplies and have been thinking about doing eactly what you have done, but I was kind of weary as I only know enough about electronics to not be scared... which means I usually just blow stuff up!!
Huff360 is offline Find More Posts by Huff360
Old Jul 18, 2003, 02:37 PM
Purveyor of RC-Opiates
California
Joined Jan 2003
1,195 Posts
Man I just bought one of those 12V supplies. The seller is great to deal with.

Huff360, ussually power supplies can be put together in series like batteries.

Mike means, test your power supplies negative output, and see if it is connected to the casing. If there is continuity, then you would need to put something non conductive between them. To be safe, just don't have the metal case touch the metal case on the second unit.

-Dave
LightFlightRC is offline Find More Posts by LightFlightRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2003, 09:54 PM
4 Point Landing
USA, IN, Jeffersonville
Joined Sep 2001
477 Posts
RS

Just go to Radio Shack and get one of thier closeout power supplies, if they are still there!!!!!!!!!

25 amps.......13.5vdc

I run 3 chargers at once pushing 8 cell packs up to 2400ma....no problem.

Fred
fred420 is offline Find More Posts by fred420
Old Jul 18, 2003, 10:10 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LightFlightRC
Mike means, test your power supplies negative output, and see if it is connected to the casing. If there is continuity, then you would need to put something non conductive between them. To be safe, just don't have the metal case touch the metal case on the second unit.
I don't think that would be very safe because of the possibility of a conductive object touching both cases at once, but assuming you did it that way anyway, you would also have to avoid connecting the green ground wire of the AC power cord to both supplies. You could connect it to one or the other, but not both.

Instead, I recommend opening both supplies, finding the connections between logic ground and field ground (if they exist), and removing them. Then you can connect the green wire of the power cord to the field grounds of both supplies, bolt the two supplies together if desired, and have maximum safety.
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
Old Aug 18, 2003, 08:57 AM
Joined Aug 2000
759 Posts
Well its still working fine, no supplier error messages etc... just a few days ago I used it to charge my tractor lawn mower battery, wich was 0volts... and would not start with out a jump... now it starts fine .
Old Apr 17, 2004, 02:33 AM
Joined Aug 2000
759 Posts
And it still works fine