HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 06, 2003, 01:30 AM
Northern CA, USA
Joined Nov 2001
128 Posts
Hummingbird head stiffener - FF flight now possible

After trying to fly my Hummingbird outdoors in any kind of wind >1 mph I realized it was going to be tough – any sort of large gust would get it swinging into the “death” pendulum where it was nearly impossible to recover. Also trying any type of forward flight I’d get severe pitch up when stopping, enough so that it was really not possible to fly faster than several mph without difficulty.

Doing more research on fixed pitch heli’s and Piccolo’s in particular, this wind sensitivity and pitch up are related to the “coning” of the main blades which are quite flexible. There are several suggestions on how to reduce this which involves adding a head stiffener and using stiffer (carbon) blades. On the Ikarrus Piccolo BBS I read of several variations on head stiffeners, and decided to make one of my own for the Hummingbird.

This is what I ended up with, luckily I have access to a mill so I machined a T-shaped cross brace out of stiff plastic mounted on nylon spacers (cut off aileron control horns).

WOW! What a difference. Fast forward flight is now possible, it still pitches up but much less and it is recoverable. And today I was able to fly (albeit wildy, but no crashes) in gusty 10+mph winds. I never would have been able to do that before. The controls actually feel crisper as well. Definitely a must have mod.

-Art
art4242 is offline Find More Posts by art4242
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2003, 05:30 PM
NW WA, USA
Joined Mar 2003
104 Posts
Thanks for the idea. I just put a stiffener on my h-bird and although I haven't tried ff flight yet, it does seem to be more stable while hovering in the rec-room.

I made this out of a couple of 2-56 Du-Bro Ball End Links. Not as light as yours but it seems to work.
kenru is offline Find More Posts by kenru
Old Jun 04, 2003, 05:21 PM
Vancouver BC
Joined Apr 2003
93 Posts
Re: Hummingbird head stiffener - FF flight now possible

Quote:
Originally posted by art4242

This is what I ended up with, luckily I have access to a mill so I machined a T-shaped cross brace out of stiff plastic mounted on nylon spacers (cut off aileron control horns).

-Art
Hi Art,

Do you know if anybody who sells the "head stiffener" mod for the hummingbird? I would very much like to make my own, but I don't have the tools to do it. Thanks!

Andy
An-Lone is offline Find More Posts by An-Lone
Old Jun 05, 2003, 08:02 AM
Agra, Oklahoma
Joined Feb 2000
5,390 Posts
Good looking stiffiner!

Now switch to fixed pitch hornet blades and you should really be thrilled with FF!

Steve
Steve McBride is offline Find More Posts by Steve McBride
Old Jun 05, 2003, 02:49 PM
Northern CA, USA
Joined Nov 2001
128 Posts
Andy,

I don't know of anyone yet that sells one...I'm also pretty sure that the Piccolo stiffener's don't fit because the spacing is different.

I'm sure you could cobble something together that would work fine, Kenru's setup looks pretty straightforward. Or just make a plywood piece with holes, and use some wheel collars (or cut off nylon aileron control horn bosses, like I did) as spacers. a #2-56 screw will pass through the stock M2.5 hole, just use a nut.

Steve,

Yes, some hornet (CF) blades would be nice. I'm holding off on those, waiting to see if a h'bird CP upgrade comes out (and I also have 3 extra sets of stock h'bird blades as crash replacements that I haven't tapped into yet )

-Art
art4242 is offline Find More Posts by art4242
Old Jun 07, 2003, 10:35 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2003
39 Posts
For my Pic I just bolted a second rotor head on top of the existing one, and sandwiched the blades in between. Seems to be working well.
timbo is offline Find More Posts by timbo
Old Jun 10, 2003, 10:11 PM
Joined Jun 2003
22 Posts
The head stiffener has bugged me to no end. It is easy to make, but, what bothers me is if you watch the videos from Century (here), you will see very clearly something that looks very much like a head stiffener. It's the only white part on the blades.
eeek is offline Find More Posts by eeek
Old Jun 11, 2003, 04:11 AM
Chillaxin dude!
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
4,799 Posts
yeah,
I see what you mean. Missed it first time I watched it. Notice that the only time it appears to fly without it is when the training undercarriage is on, and the heli is nowhere near as stable!

It's all a conspiracy!!!
BulletMaster is offline Find More Posts by BulletMaster
Old Jun 11, 2003, 04:13 AM
Chillaxin dude!
Joined Apr 2003
4,799 Posts
yeah,
I see what you mean. Missed it first time I watched it. Notice that the only time it appears to fly without it is when the training undercarriage is on, and the heli is nowhere near as stable!

It's all a conspiracy!!!
Old Jun 11, 2003, 12:07 PM
Joined Jun 2003
22 Posts
I'll add to the conspiracy a little more... This is the ad for the HB in the June issue of RCM. Notice the head stiffener?
Last edited by eeek; Jun 11, 2003 at 12:16 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2003, 12:09 PM
Joined Jun 2003
22 Posts
ooops. Double post
Last edited by eeek; Jun 11, 2003 at 12:12 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2003, 09:07 PM
Chillaxin dude!
Joined Apr 2003
4,799 Posts
ah...all part of the conspiracy. I lull you into a false sense of security and then **WHAM** in with the ol' double post!!

LOL

what a nong am I!