SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 04, 2003, 06:24 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
Parkflyer Equivilent of 40 sized Profile Fun Fly?

Ok guys..

My favorite plane to fly is a 40 sized FF that will just absolutly tear the sky apart..

I'd like to get something that I can fly in the park between classes at school... I'd also like to have something that will fly as close to a 40 sized FF as I can get..

I've been thinking of the E3D but it's not really a park flyer is it?

I would love to hear from you parkflyers and see what your flying..

I'm not talking just loops, rolls, etc.. I'm talking like harriers, elevators, pinwheels, etc.. Something that will fly like a small 40 sized funfly and be able to fly in some wind...

Thanks

Jeff
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2003, 09:12 PM
FLYER spelled I-squared-R
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Sep 2001
1,623 Posts
Two airplanes that come to mind are the Mountain Models MiniFlash (with a brushless motor) and a RadicalRC Edge 540. Both provide better than 1:1 for good vertical.
fliir is offline Find More Posts by fliir
Old Apr 04, 2003, 09:35 PM
Phoenix,Arizona, United States
Joined Jun 2002
4,636 Posts
You mean something like this....
Dylwad is offline Find More Posts by Dylwad
Old Apr 04, 2003, 09:39 PM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,594 Posts
Personally I love the E3D as a parkflyer. Its bigger than what people would classify as a parky but its very easy to fly in one. I used to fly mine off of a school yard all the time.

You also might take a look at Mike Hall's new Hangover design, not a full 3D plane, but a nice fun fly.

The Miniflash is another great plane for flying in a school yard.

For really good 3D, in a small space, even for a larger indoor venue, my "Lil 3Der" is an excellent performer. (see photo of my unfinished #2 proto)

One aspect you may want to consider is whether or not you want a large plane sitting in your car all the time (E3D) The great thing about the Hangover and the Miniflash is that the wings come off for easy transport.

--Paul
Paul Susbauer is offline Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Paul Susbauer; Apr 04, 2003 at 09:41 PM.
Old Apr 04, 2003, 09:43 PM
Joined Jun 2002
4,636 Posts
its gettin there...
Old Apr 04, 2003, 09:48 PM
Joined Jun 2002
4,636 Posts
last one, good luck finding a profile fun fly park flyer kit, besides the radical edge 540, which is foam and balsa, the Vertical RC planes are very fun to fly, but lack some of the 3D aspects, well at least the Katana does, im not sure about the Cap or the new Edge they have coming out, as the Katana was their first design.

i wanted a PFF-PF so bad i scaled Taco.25 plans to 75% and this is what i came up with, the full size taco can elevator harrier, hover TR climbing inverted flat spins, etc.. has a little pitch coupling in knife edge, and best of all all of the electronics are inside the wing.

Itll get airborn as soon as the wind dies

Dylan
Old Apr 04, 2003, 10:19 PM
Forgot how to fly
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Oct 2002
10,201 Posts
Dylwad,
I want I want!! That is awesome. Dont happen to have those plans digitized do you? . Can you give some more info? Power system etc etc
Mike Parsons is offline Find More Posts by Mike Parsons
Old Apr 04, 2003, 10:39 PM
Pro Bro #495
Farmington NM
Joined Apr 2002
3,194 Posts
I had a friend that was going to give me the plans to the morris hobbies Top Cap, but he couldn't find them. I was gonna shrink them down and swap my b20 15l between it and my Mini Flash. I think it would have made an awsome park fun fly model.

I think the Tribute will do all the stuff you listed except take wind. It is here www.hovertoys.com
fwilly is offline Find More Posts by fwilly
Last edited by fwilly; Apr 04, 2003 at 10:42 PM.
Old Apr 05, 2003, 12:29 AM
Joined Jun 2002
4,636 Posts
I dont think the tribute can hang with the likes of the top cap and sledge designs, balsa IS stronger than foam . <~~~period, as for the taco plans, Paul Swany designed it, and has built many of them, and the plans keep on changing, but they are free for the taking http://swanyshouse.com/taco/taco.html , 75% becomes about 27 inch span, and around 320 sq inches<~~guestimate

Mines getting a eps300c-cs and a 10x7 prop, 8 cells 720 nimh for the test flights,Razor 400 with 3S 1200 e-tecs after that. im thinking about building another one, as i think i can shave 2 ounces or more off of it, but with the 2S e-tec 1200 lipoly pack i should be under 12 ounces RTF, not too bad considering the fuse is fully sheeted and trussed and its a sheeted D tube wing, next one ill leave out the D tube sheeting and put in some half ribs to keep the airfoil shape up to the LE, i could probably leave off the cap strips too......theres a few threads on the taco over at rcuniverse, under fun flying planes and profile planes

I started looking for a good profile design after i heard the Profile sukhoi couldnt knife edge, too much roll coupling, it just hovers good, and i wanted more than that, since ive been hovering a piccolo lately

Good luck,
Dylan
Last edited by Dylwad; Apr 05, 2003 at 12:31 AM.
Old Apr 05, 2003, 03:33 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
Dylwad - you wouldn't be able to scale those plans to 75% and hook me up with a PDF file i could print out could you? I do not have the know how to go about doing this myself..

I was seriously looking at the Taco and maybe an OS 32... but that's just too noisey for a park.. I plan on buying the full size Taco kit from Paul for $43 bucks.. I am a ProBro and I'm going to support him...

I need to check out the E3D but that Taco is soo sweet looking and I heard they fly like a champ!
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Apr 05, 2003, 05:07 AM
Professional idiot
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jun 2002
3,119 Posts
A few other choices:

The Airwave Sukhoi is pretty impressive (can't miss it in the Indoor forum) or http://www.extremeteam.info

Tim.H over in Foamies has a very nice Edge built and flown in various sizes (plans are free).

I've got a 64% version of this little number http://www.wherzog.de/eflug/ProjektSukhoi.htm

--
Dave
wildpalms is offline Find More Posts by wildpalms
Old Apr 05, 2003, 08:00 AM
Forgot how to fly
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Oct 2002
10,201 Posts
I am working on Tim's plane as well. I am just waiting on the wings and tail feathers to come to me laser Cut.

This one looks like it would be a good candidate to try it out of bluecor. And use a GWS 370 or a MINIAC for unlimited verticle.
Mike Parsons is offline Find More Posts by Mike Parsons
Old Apr 05, 2003, 10:18 AM
Joined Jun 2002
4,636 Posts
heres a free cad viewer that lets you change print scale and tile pages so you can print DXF plans any size on a regular printer https://fastcad.com/n-view7.html you could also put the dxf file on a cd or disk and take it to a local blueprinting shop and have it printed to whatever scale you want, as far as converting it to PDF that would have to be up to someone else, i have no idea how to.

Viewer 7 is easy to use, just hit print and it asks you what scale you want and how many pages to tile it on

Good luck,
Dylan
Old Apr 05, 2003, 11:02 AM
Pro Bro #495
Farmington NM
Joined Apr 2002
3,194 Posts
carbon tube is stroger than balsa. I saw the Tribute do torque rolls and rolling circles in a gym. I've seen My friends Top Cap do things that the Tribute definetly couildn't, but most of them involved lots of power. Add more carbon and a golden ticket and it could probably do some of them.
fwilly is offline Find More Posts by fwilly
Old Apr 05, 2003, 11:14 AM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,997 Posts
Dylan, where do you put the battery on the Taco? did you resize the radio bay so you could put it in there?

Thanks.

-- Acer
Acer is offline Find More Posts by Acer