SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 18, 2003, 05:59 PM
Joined Feb 2003
525 Posts
Wedgie impressions and 2 questions

Hey all, Love this forum. I've been through a lot of planes and the wedgie has to be my all time favorite. I am flying with an Astro 020 brushless, and this thing hauls!

Easy to launch, dosen't lose altitude in a turn, or speed for that matter. H-U-G-E loops that are extremely fast, without any corrections required throughout the loop.

Level speed is simply unreal. I am flying with 8 cell 900Mah Ni-mh batteries. Makes the coolest howling/whistling sound in a dive with motor on or off. Sometimes you can hear it in level flight too. I assume the sound comes from the coroplast wing plates(wingtips).

Question 1: How far down can I cut these oversized wing tips and still be functional?

Question 2: What would be the best prop for the most speed with my motor and batttery?

I don't want to cook either one. I am currently flying with the 5.5 x 4 prop. I also tried a 5.25 x 4.75 and didn't see a huge difference.

I used to be SO anti flying wing. I always felt like a plane should have a fuselage before, but I am sold strictly on the performance and durability of this plane. (Although I wish it was EPP instead of EPS. Not to mention the price! I got it at my LHS for $43.95.

Again the speed and level of control at these speeds is incredible.

Other planes I own:
GWS P-51 with a 15/4 brushless
Easy extra trainer( never fly it, gas and boring, want to sell it)
IFO with a simprop 280BB on a gws 5.33:1 gearbox(from the p-51)
Overpowered electrajet(flys crappy compared to this)

I would also like to put landing gear on my Wedgie. I think it would be to cool.

Tell me what you guys think. I have enjoyed reading EVERYONES' posts over the 1.3 years I have been reading the forums and not engaging in conversation.(just absorbing the wealth of info here.

BTW: I had a Kokam 1020 2 cell li-poly blow up on me as well. I was using the Triton charger. I idiotically left it unattended when I starting watching a TV show. Heard a boom in the garage. Ran out there to see my desk on fire. I grabbed a towel and quickly scooped the whole mess up and chucked it on the driveway. When it blew it showered glowing embers all over the garage wall and surrounding area. I am very lucky that I heard the boom, and that the glowing embers did not shower down on my supercharged Acura NSX. No, I am not an idiot, I am a 32 yr old, that simply had missed one vital settiing: I had the voltage for the 2 cell pack set on 10.2v instead of 7.4v.

All that was left of the pack was shreds of foil and ash. Burned a whole almost all the way through my oak desk. Mind you I ran out almost immediately when I heard the boom!.....wow...I am sticking with Nimh and Ni-CD for a while.

You guys take care....Justin in AZ.
airsnyper is offline Find More Posts by airsnyper
Last edited by airsnyper; Mar 18, 2003 at 06:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2003, 06:33 PM
Frequent Flyer
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Nov 2001
757 Posts
Re: Wedgie impressions and 2 questions

Nowell York is offline Find More Posts by Nowell York
Last edited by Nowell York; May 23, 2009 at 12:01 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2003, 06:37 PM
Joined Feb 2003
525 Posts
I never said it was the battery or chargers fault, I said it was mine because I set it at the wrong setting. Learn to read THEN observe......

My first post and my first response from the message happened to be from a non-observing idiot........
Old Mar 18, 2003, 06:48 PM
Frequent Flyer
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Nov 2001
757 Posts
Last edited by Nowell York; May 23, 2009 at 12:02 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2003, 07:03 PM
Joined Feb 2003
525 Posts
See what happens when you share a misfortune with the rest of the community?

I just as well could have left my Li-poly experience out, but I chose to share it with all of you for the better good.

I admitted I made a mistake for the sole purpose of informing others not to make the same, then along comes a "know it all" to ridicule the mistake I have already madefor the sole purpose of putting himself up on a high horse....geez...ANYWAY.....can someone please help me with my 2 questions.....Regards, Justin

BTW idiots, are the people who go out of their way to create turmoil for others.......
Last edited by airsnyper; Mar 18, 2003 at 07:07 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2003, 07:17 PM
Frequent Flyer
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Nov 2001
757 Posts
Last edited by Nowell York; May 23, 2009 at 12:02 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2003, 07:33 PM
Boulder, CO USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,405 Posts
airsnyper, welcome to eZone! The wedgie is a fantastic wing. It is one of those "magic" wings that simply flies great out of the box. Dave Wenzlick (ezone username) originally designed it and then sold off the rights to it. He was on last night over in the Electric Sailplanes forum.

Over the year that I had flew mine I tried all sorts of various things with it and invariably went back to the stock configuration or close to it. I have a 5.5x4.5 prop with a 480 on it right now, but I live at 5500ft altitude so I need a slightly larger diameter and pitch to get some performance.

I have never tried a brushless on it (geez, I had a hard enough time tracking the thing anyways! I want to try a small cobalt 400 on a new one though. For an inexpensive motor ($35), the cobalt 400's are a quick upgrade for small wings like the Wedgie.

There are some good comments located here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=31311&

Matt
www.yourzagi.com
mtayl is offline Find More Posts by mtayl
Last edited by mtayl; Mar 18, 2003 at 07:37 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2003, 07:48 PM
Boulder, CO USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,405 Posts
Quote:
Question 1: How far down can I cut these oversized wing tips and still be functional?
Oh yea, you can experiment quite a bit with that. What I do is generally get some 2mm coroplast and trace out the production winglet on it. Once I have a copy of the original winglet, then I will cut off 20% at a time on the copy and fly it. When the nose starts yawing during turns, or moving back and forth - side to side, then I know that I have reached the practical limit for the winglet size.

I put some general winglet stuff up at http://www.yourzagi.com/wings.htm I highly encourage experimenting with the winglets and see what you can come up with. If you want to have some fun, take the stock winglets and position them such that 0.5-1 inch hangs below the wing. You can typically do some radical turn maneuvers with this configuration.

As far as the prop goes, I wouldn't go above a 6x5 on it. Check out the Pcalc located here: http://brantuas.com/ezcalc/dma.asp and fool around with some numbers. Let me know if you have questions and I'll try to answer them for ya.

Matt
www.yourzagi.com
mtayl is offline Find More Posts by mtayl
Old Mar 18, 2003, 07:59 PM
Joined Feb 2003
525 Posts
Thanks for the great info Matt, I appreciate it. That is a really cool ideal tracing the stock one onto new 2mm coro. I will also try dropping the plate down as you mentioned. Thanks for the welcome as well!

Justin