Sep 12, 2014, 05:43 PM
Thread OP
One video from a couple of weeks ago

Camping with the Minion (5 min 23 sec)

Just for fun (2 min 8 sec)
Last edited by Patrizio_g; Sep 13, 2014 at 02:45 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 16, 2014, 01:05 AM
you guys sure having fun there

last sunday we were 9 mini quads many people are catching up with the new mode

the kids were a real problem on landing, even thought there were amateur fliers around...

fun flight with minion on the meeting (4 min 47 sec)
Sep 16, 2014, 02:18 AM
Thread OP
Hey man you are starting to look like this crazy guys from Australia LOL they fly like bat out of hell
Sep 16, 2014, 04:08 AM
I wish but i am still some lightyears away
Sep 16, 2014, 12:48 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by deno6031
I wish but i am still some lightyears away
Lol me feew more lightyears than you
Sep 16, 2014, 02:37 PM

6" Minion

Just maidened my new 6" arm Minion...first with GF5x3 and then with FC6x4.5
I must say I like this setup the best of any 3S mini I have flown (QAV250, Armattan CF, DRQ250).....I used the same PIDS as my other 5" minis using a 2300KV motor...only have to tweak the TPA Breakpoint some since it hovers at 38% throttle instead of 50% with the 6x4.5s...will post some video once I get it finalized, but the power is close to the 4S 5" Minion I have with Cobra 2204/1960s and, almost as fast..

Setup:
DragonFly 1806/2300 (I really like these motors!)
12A ESCs (see below)
250mw TS5823 32ch 5.8Vtx
CC1333 board cam
3s, 1300mah Lipos
Flip32 FC

ESCs: actually mixed two Afros with two RedFire (Witespyquad) that I had as spares...both are NFET and both use SimonK firmware...cant tell any difference from idle to WOT...good to know
Sep 16, 2014, 07:55 PM
Thread OP
LOL mixed ESC well in theory it should work maybe it's more work for the FC to keep things nice and smooth.

Yes videos please also post pictures of your build.
And thanks for sharing
Sep 17, 2014, 01:27 PM
Always in the Glue
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Welwood
Razor, congrats on a nice build on your hybrid Minion.

I just started assembly of my hybrid kit yesterday, I'll take my sweet time with it and do some video along the way. I'm going to check the balance of the Cobra motors today then solder the esc's to the motors. The kit parts are very nice.

I'll post some photos of mine in the next while.

Bob.
Some progress. Motors are balanced and ESC's have been soldered, tested and mounted to the arms.
Next steps are to solder the ESC's to the afro PDB, set up the LED's, install the battery power cable, then work on the FCB and RX installs. I'm doing a little video as I go along to show how I am doing things.
Here's a couple of pics as promised...
Sep 17, 2014, 05:18 PM
Thread OP
Welwood your build is lokking good very meticulous and clean grate job
Sep 17, 2014, 06:17 PM
hello all!

I am in the process of building my quad and thought it could use some landing gear so I could place the battery under the quad.

So I came up with these little guys they only weigh 9 grams seems to be strong too I will be doing some crash testing soon ! What do you guys think of these ?
Sep 17, 2014, 07:15 PM

6x4.5 props

Pat, as requested...some photos and the latest video...

pretty straightforward...a few things I usually do on my minis are noted in the photos below..
- metal screws
- some posts exchanged for aluminum
- tilt on vid cam using a nylon spacer and mounting using just a rubber band
- 5mm locknuts on motors
- diversity Frsky ants mounted in V using tywraps and fuel tubing
- cover screw heads on bottom with pieces of Scotch Transparent Duct Tape to prevent scratching my car hood

used the same pids for 5x3,6x3,and 6x4.5 (my favorite prop)...love the feel of this mini dodging stuff...a little jello in the mobius even though props were checked for balance (only had to do minor balance work on just one of the FCs)..,

also tried 3s, 2200mah...a little less nimble, a little slower climb, naturally(example shown at end of video)...but 9.5minutes instead of 5.5 minutes....

next I am going to build a mount for the Gopro and its lens protector and see how it flies even a little heavier

6in Minion: FC6x4.5 props (3 min 44 sec)
Last edited by Atx_Heli; Sep 17, 2014 at 07:24 PM.
Sep 17, 2014, 11:59 PM
There is many things i want to ask about your build, but first why is it orange

Whats your auw? Aren't the 1806 motors overpropped like that? Have you tried hqprop 5x4, they are my favourite

Nice and smooth flying there
Sep 18, 2014, 01:39 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatkidjoey
hello all!

I am in the process of building my quad and thought it could use some landing gear so I could place the battery under the quad.

So I came up with these little guys they only weigh 9 grams seems to be strong too I will be doing some crash testing soon ! What do you guys think of these ?
I have seing people puting heli landing gear on the Minion they love it, one big advantage is tha you can take off from grass
Sep 18, 2014, 02:09 AM
Thread OP
Hey Atx I love the orange lol

For the jello I use foam it works grate I did try gel but not so good
You can also use damper "bombings " 4 per arm where the arms are bolted to the bottom plate and I like to have the arm inside the frame so the motors are higher up and allows for taking off on grass, I can post some pictures later.

I have thoses DF motors on my hex just waiting on lipos to arrive but so far the seem good.

Oh the new kits will come with ss bolts instead of nylon but the standoff will all be nylon, tat combination works grate for me so far after few months and several crashes i only replace props oh and now a motor because i did toasted one

Your build is very neat and clean

Deno most of this motor were design to run 6" props but I do prefer the 5" minion for batching because I can get it in tighter spots and I like the 6" for speed and efficiency but that's just me

Oh here are the pictures with the damper and no damper plate:
Last edited by Patrizio_g; Sep 18, 2014 at 02:20 AM.
Sep 18, 2014, 07:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deno6031
There is many things i want to ask about your build, but first why is it orange

Whats your auw? Aren't the 1806 motors overpropped like that? Have you tried hqprop 5x4, they are my favourite

Nice and smooth flying there
Painted it florescent orange to see it better in tall grass after a crash....I have also wasted a bunch of time looking up in tree branches for a black mini also
(next time I will prime the pieces before painting...it chips easy as is)

AUW? havent weighed it...should be around 500g or so

there have been several videos testing these motors with 6x4.5s at continous WOT on 3s with no destruction...but I wouldnt do that myself...only for punch outs...if for no other reason that they draw about 14A doing it and the ESCS are rated only for 12A cont/15A burst (usually 10 sec)....HQ5x4 should be no problem WOT continuous...
flying 9 min at hover and just above, as in most of the video, brings motors only to the barely warm state at 85deg F

I like them a lot
Last edited by Atx_Heli; Sep 18, 2014 at 07:41 AM.

Quick Reply