This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 24, 2012, 01:36 PM
Engineer for Christ
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by himagain
Alex

Like your thinking. Keep it simple

One question, What Tx antenna is best for working with the the X-hair RX ant

Cheers

David
Historically I used a cloverleaf, but now I use a Mad Mushroom antenna. The Mad Mushroom isn't available commercially just yet as there are still some details I have to work out such as balancing it.

-Alex
to remove ads between posts
Oct 24, 2012, 01:38 PM
Engineer for Christ
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pajonate
I am a newbie in the FPV world. so I ask a lot of questions.
You have Vrxs on two freqs: 1.3 & 2.4Ghz.
As you mentioned, you have two Vrx.

How many cameras you have on your plane?
Is it one, and if so how did you do the wiring to the both VTxs? Is splitting the signal for each Vtx. already a loss of signal?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
Only one at a time I just like the ability to choose my frequency, that's all. I typically fly 2305 MHz since so many pilots fly 1.3GHz these days. However when I need the punch to fly through the woods, I'll switch to 1280MHz so long as nobody else is on it.

-Alex
Oct 24, 2012, 01:39 PM
Engineer for Christ
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonFlite
I'm guessing the two frequencies are so he can decide which one has the best video signal. He'll be moving around a lot. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Alex suggested the same thing for my project. Without a spectrum analyzer you can't tell what video signal will work the best without testing it.
Which is why I carry my spectrum analyzer in the bag

-Alex
Dec 15, 2012, 03:13 PM
GoThe Distance

Adjustable helical antenna

I was wondering if it would be possible to have an adjustable helical antenna by cutting/separating each turn, let's say after the first 3 and using copper collets to snug fit each turn after that, giving you the ability to adjust your gain on the fly

Your thoughts

Kyle
Jan 21, 2013, 12:33 PM

Fpv noob

Hey Alex,
Im a Noob when it comes to FPV and i had a question that im sure there are 100 different answers too but i wanted your opinion since you seem to be the MAN.
I want to put an fpv set up on my RC car and drive around my neighborhood with it. Maybe go out like 2 or 3 block away (1000 meters MAX but I live in a pretty populated city) so i was thinking of a 1.2ghz system, maybe like a 1500mW system that ive seen online and some type of directional antenna. Maybe something that can power through a couple house walls. If of course this is even possible.
Thanks!
-Dexter
Jan 21, 2013, 02:14 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
I'm not alex, but you can check my blog here on RCG (click on my name) and look what I did with my Summit on 1.3ghz.

Surface FPV is challenging but at least you can't crash
Feb 05, 2013, 08:19 AM
Interesting Thread ...but going By The equation You Posted for Beginners to calculate how far they can go with their FPV equipment i guess i will only be able to get up-to this level sometime next year...but this is the ultimate objective
Apr 07, 2013, 04:40 AM
Alex,
many thx for these wonderful tutorials... i learned a lot about antennas and vx/tx systems with the help of them. built versatile simple antennas that increased my systems functionality drastically.. i use both 2,4 and 1,2 ghz ststems, especially i am astonished about the performance of a little Moxon antenna simply built for my 200mw 1,2ghz system... i am using it on a robotic rover wandering along my big terrace and i can control it and watch video tx from inside, it penetrates through my numerous thick walls now... thx again for your hard work and wish you a crashless flying....

dincer
Apr 25, 2013, 12:04 PM
Engineer for Christ
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akcopter
Interesting Thread ...but going By The equation You Posted for Beginners to calculate how far they can go with their FPV equipment i guess i will only be able to get up-to this level sometime next year...but this is the ultimate objective
I took this station to 3.5 miles before a noisy UHF radio took me out of commission and had to turn around. With a clean radio I'm sure 10 miles would be easy.

-Alex
Apr 26, 2013, 08:09 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
How much power are you using again on your VTx Alex ?
Dec 10, 2013, 07:55 PM

Hdmi vtx

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy
I took this station to 3.5 miles before a noisy UHF radio took me out of commission and had to turn around. With a clean radio I'm sure 10 miles would be easy.

-Alex
Hi Alex,
I stumbled upon this thread, it kind of went to sleep but the prospect of reasonable range HDMI transmission is interesting:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2023808
I wonder if CP antennas will help increase the range.
If we could do say like a 1000 feet or something, it would bring a whole new dimension to FPV. Off course, we will then need goggles that can do 1080P but it could be fun to fly off a big screen TV!
Jan 02, 2014, 05:15 AM
Just another FPV addicted teen
Hey Alex,
Quick question where did you get the goggles used in this ground station from?

-Ben
Jan 13, 2014, 12:30 AM
Engineer for Christ
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca
How much power are you using again on your VTx Alex ?
I use 200mW and 400mW. Seems to be plenty most of the time.

-Alex
Jan 13, 2014, 12:31 AM
Engineer for Christ
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFFanatic
Hi Alex,
I stumbled upon this thread, it kind of went to sleep but the prospect of reasonable range HDMI transmission is interesting:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2023808
I wonder if CP antennas will help increase the range.
If we could do say like a 1000 feet or something, it would bring a whole new dimension to FPV. Off course, we will then need goggles that can do 1080P but it could be fun to fly off a big screen TV!
It probably could, but that's only speculation. The only way to find out is to try it
Jan 13, 2014, 12:32 AM
Engineer for Christ
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by fOaMmaSh87
Hey Alex,
Quick question where did you get the goggles used in this ground station from?

-Ben
They're old EVG920 goggles. In my opinion, they're still the best.

Quick Reply