Feb 07, 2013, 05:10 PM
"Have that removed!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by shhhhh!
So............will a 4s2200 fit........??..looking forward to getting this one...

Yes.............read the previous posts..looks like a 4s 2200 will fit.
Uh, got this one to fit easily (battery I used with the Neu 1112/2D flights).
Latest blog entry: Latest blog entry
to remove ads between posts
Feb 07, 2013, 05:36 PM
SLCPilot still sucks!
Umm, Tim, I have a 5S 2200TP 65C battery. Will that fit? Launching is not an issue. We have launch plane.
Feb 07, 2013, 07:58 PM
"Have that removed!"
Ha ha. Sounds like you're ready to get crazy!

Have no idea if it will fit....well, maybe an idea. If my 4S 2250 had one more cell on it I think it would still fit.

Shoot me some dimensions and I'll take some measurements.

Tim
Feb 07, 2013, 08:41 PM
Looks great! and I just happen to have an 1112/2d and 4s battery at the ready

curious why using that particular prop on the 4s 2D version? I've been running a 4.75x4.75...maybe I should recheck the amp draw..
Feb 07, 2013, 09:29 PM
"Have that removed!"
Don't know why I ran the 4.7 x 4.25. Current draw seemed about right I guess. I'll go back and look at my data and see if I bench-tested a 4.75 x 4.75. Can you fly WOT for the duration of the battery with a 4.75 x 4.75? Or do you just go in short bursts.

Tim
Feb 08, 2013, 10:00 AM
"Have that removed!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanordave
Looks great! and I just happen to have an 1112/2d and 4s battery at the ready

curious why using that particular prop on the 4s 2D version? I've been running a 4.75x4.75...maybe I should recheck the amp draw..
Yea...just checked that motor on the Esprit Models web site...often they list recommended prop/battery combinations. They list a 4.75 x 4.75 on 4S on the Neu 1112/2D (in a Nemesis F5D). Again though, wonder if you could fly that WOT?

On a 4.7 x 4.25 (4S 2250mAh 65C) I got 90A static, 69A average through a WOT flight (about 1:50) with spikes in-flight up to 75A (950W average in flight, 1200W static). Guess those numbers would be even higher with a 4.75 x 4.75.

Tim
Feb 08, 2013, 04:54 PM
Tried the 4.75˛ a minute ago..got 115 static on 4s with a fresh charge. Smelled something so didn't push it any further and get the steady state reading. Saw a number of videos w/people flying it on the 4.75 but think I'll change my esc and drop a prop size for a bit. Rather work up to its demise than burn it out immediately.

Cleaned up the shed to make room for the 1m! Now the wait....

[edit: Ooops! Too late. Pulled motor and saw insulation was melting off the wires and stator windings are a touch burnt....wonder how those other folks use the 4.75 prop on 4s without the same result?]

[edit, edit: (re=edit?) after changing the esc and motor, got that smell again..think the mounting screws (ones that came w/the motor) are reaching the wires and shorted the stator! Not too happy in mudville tonight...]
Last edited by stanordave; Feb 08, 2013 at 07:34 PM.
Feb 08, 2013, 05:15 PM
I've always been a bit apprehensive toward getting the original Rifle, but this is a for sure purchase! Can't wait!
Feb 08, 2013, 10:57 PM
"Have that removed!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanordave
Tried the 4.75˛ a minute ago..got 115 static on 4s with a fresh charge. Smelled something so didn't push it any further and get the steady state reading. Saw a number of videos w/people flying it on the 4.75 but think I'll change my esc and drop a prop size for a bit. Rather work up to its demise than burn it out immediately.

Cleaned up the shed to make room for the 1m! Now the wait....

[edit: Ooops! Too late. Pulled motor and saw insulation was melting off the wires and stator windings are a touch burnt....wonder how those other folks use the 4.75 prop on 4s without the same result?]

[edit, edit: (re=edit?) after changing the esc and motor, got that smell again..think the mounting screws (ones that came w/the motor) are reaching the wires and shorted the stator! Not too happy in mudville tonight...]
Yea, must be something wrong with the motor or mounting screws like you said. If I can fly the thing (1112/2D) WOT for nearly two minutes on a 4.7 x 4.25 surely you can run it on the bench long enough (five, ten seconds?) to get a descent current/Watts reading on a 4.75 x 4.75 without cooking anything. Plus, like I said, on Esprit Model they show a 4.75 x 4.75 on 4S. So even if they don't run it WOT, again, it's definitely not going to hurt it on the bench for a few seconds.

Haven't heard anything from MEGA CZ about my 16/25/1.5R (3750kV) I ordered a couple of weeks ago. I paid for it with paypal and it accepted my payment and made an invoice, but no return email confirmation. I then contacted them via email and no word. Huh. I've ordered motors from them before with no problems and good correspondance. Hopefully the thing just showd up in the mail in another week.

Tim
Feb 09, 2013, 10:02 PM
Hey Tim after I ordered my Mega from Mega-CZ it took about a month to get it delivered and at the time Paypal was not accepted by them. I used a debit card and a bunch of fraudulent charges showed up... Got it straightened out but I will never order from them again . Now last week for the Super Rifles I ordered from http://www.icare-rc.com on Monday and I received the motors today ! That was fast ! Give them
a try...
Feb 09, 2013, 10:11 PM
Hey Tim, just curious why you all decided on a 1M Rifle?

Don't get me wrong, I truly love the update to the Rifle, however I know that you know how well a full F5D ship flies. The fuse would be just a tad larger, but the 1.3-1.4m wingspan would improve launching quite a bit!

Just curious thats all....

Mainly because the Sunracer (although not cheap) is quite a bit less expensive than the current F5D planes. It seems as if there is no entry-level F5D size ship, and you guys have the resources to do so!
Feb 10, 2013, 06:44 AM
"Have that removed!"
Mmm, several reasons.

First, in order for our marketing and product division to get involved in anything there has to be pretty big sales numbers - quantity. That means mas production. And the terms "F5D" and "mass production" don't go together very well. F5D (and the like) airframes are specialized, completely hand-made laid up one at a time (I believe). I don't think you could do a competitive (or even entry-level) F5D ship with the technology we use for the Rifles (fiberglass, foam core wing, paint).

The cost of materials (kevlar, CF, etc.) would also drive up the price further reducing the mass sales numbers required.

The type of equipment/batteries/motors/servos used also increase the overall "price of entry" for the plane even further reducing the sales quantity - there just aren't enough people interested in F5D to make that kind of comitment.

Hey, personally I'd be all for it, but it's just not the mass appeal stuff our company does.

Then again, there is the Mibo/Wasp kind of stuff out there, so maybe it's worth considering if that's what you're talking about.

Tim
Feb 10, 2013, 09:01 AM
Are we there yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRProton
Mmm, several reasons.

First, in order for our marketing and product division to get involved in anything there has to be pretty big sales numbers - quantity. That means mas production. And the terms "F5D" and "mass production" don't go together very well. F5D (and the like) airframes are specialized, completely hand-made laid up one at a time (I believe). I don't think you could do a competitive (or even entry-level) F5D ship with the technology we use for the Rifles (fiberglass, foam core wing, paint).
The cost of materials (kevlar, CF, etc.) would also drive up the price further reducing the mass sales numbers required.

The type of equipment/batteries/motors/servos used also increase the overall "price of entry" for the plane even further reducing the sales quantity - there just aren't enough people interested in F5D to make that kind of comitment.

Hey, personally I'd be all for it, but it's just not the mass appeal stuff our company does.

Then again, there is the Mibo/Wasp kind of stuff out there, so maybe it's worth considering if that's what you're talking about.

Tim
I think the closest that came to being mass produced was the Simprop Turn Left, pretty sure it was classed as an 'entry level F5D' plane with a rated speed upto 150mph http://www.modelmaniacsonline.co.uk/...d)+Pylon+Racer . But it's not all molded, and Simprop managed to use a wing which it shared with another model, the Lift Off xxs, although I've read posts the Turn Left has a spar in and posts it doesn't. The Lift Off xxs doesn't have a spar.

1225mm wing span makes it a good size, and it'll take a Mega 16/25 size motor but battery space is limited. Biggest single pack you can fit is a 2200 3s, but you could fit 2 smaller 2s to give a 4s or a 3s and 2s for 5s. If you really wanted to try and fold the wing then try 2x 3s...

I think the TL was more popular in the EU, it's still available from a few online shops (mainly German, I got mine off ebay.de) but it isn't cheap at around 160-170 euro's + shipping.

It flies well enough, wing bolt hold down is a little weak but otherwise it's ok.

Although there might not be the interest in competitive F5D, I think there's enough people out there who enjoy sport flying fast planes, it's just that they don't want to spend top $$$ on an all molded F5D, and S400 planes can be too small. I think the Rifle 1m will do well, I almost expect the normal Rifle to get dropped as I think most will buy the 1m.
Feb 10, 2013, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by restlessswind
I've always been a bit apprehensive toward getting the original Rifle, but this is a for sure purchase! Can't wait!
im was in the same boat. im looking forward to buying it ,
looks like i have to bump it up and drop one plane from my wishlist
Feb 10, 2013, 12:11 PM
I agree with Feefo's post.

I didn't so much want GP to build a competitive airframe, but more so build a sport speedster (like you currently are) that would have the benefits of the slightly larger wing and airframe. It doesn't have to be all carbon, or fancy hollow molded. But t the rifle 1m construction, would be perfect in the larger 1.2-1.4m range. This would go more after the market of the mibo/ewasp. We all know the larger wingspan planes fly much better, and are easier to see at speed. Even the Dago Red and VooDoo "pylon" plane from HL had a very large wing (i think 1.4)

Anyhow, I'm still excited about the 1m but feel the cheap F5D market would be a better place. Hence why the Sunracer is one of the only planes its size.

On another note, I'm still first in line! I called it!

Quick Reply